PDA

View Full Version : First hare scramble on my ds450x MX

craigmacphee
05-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Not to hijack the previous guys post about his first race on his ds450, but I wanted to add to what he said to generate some attention to this great machine.

As some of you may know, I have an 09 ds450x MX version. Today I raced my very first AMA Hare Scramble. The track was awesome in my opinion with only a few wet spots that caused some problems. My biggest problems came in this sandy farmers field where I think they had to develop a mile or so of cuts back and forth at the last minute to make up for some REALLY wet areas they had in the woods they eliminated. More on that later..

I was the ONLY Can-AM in the entire event. Not sure if that was good or bad, but they had representation at any rate. :) I met a very cool Adam Smith who write for ATV Illustrated. He came right up to me while I was on the line and was asking me how I liked it. He told me it was his favorite 450 sport bike. I concurred, then asked him why it got such a bad rap in all the mags. We had a laugh and also agreed it is the best kept secret! LOL He snapped a bunch of pics in the woods of me. Maybe I'll make the mag? That would be sweet! Who knows??

My holeshot did not go as planned. Not at all. LOL I ended up coming out of the first turn in 5th. I think i made a guy on a BUILT Raptor kinda mad because he came by me like I was sitting still after that on the next straight away. He could not keep his power under control but he could ride and his machine was FAST.

First off, I learned the 30+ veterans for the most part are nothing more than FAST, a lot more experienced, guys over 30. LOL Being as inexperience as I am (only my third race, (2) MX and (1) Hare Scramble) I thought I would have better luck in the veterans class. WRONG... LOL

The second thing I learned was I had my quad set up way wrong for that event. I am all ears here boys! Is it possible to have a XC and MX quad in one with only minor adjustments? I got hung up a LOT with the 18" MX tires. I did not have enough ground clearance or big enough lugs to go through the ruts the guys with their raptors were making with their 20, 21, and 22" Razr 2's, etc were making. Any suggestions for what works good on the 450? I know I need a new set of sprockets. The sand really sucked the life out of them. Not bad though. I managed (2) weeks on them. LOL My wife is going to flip when I tell her I need to order a new set for my 2 week old quad.

My built Raptor would have roosted through the Sand section but would have been a lot worse in the MX and woods section. A wash maybe?? who knows....

My clutch was slipping horribly. I made contact with my dealer 2 weeks ago and he said he "ordered" the update kit. How long does this take? I was hoping BRP would help speed up the kits for us guys in their program. Keeping my fingers crossed for this week sometime. Do any of the Can-Am dealers work with a sense of urgency?

The new Motoworks Exhaust system matched with the KandN really woke this thing up. Kudos to Johnny and crew for hitting this one RIGHT ON! I got it installed Friday and it was the first time I had ridden it since the upgrade. It revs fast with some serious torque now.

The previous writer was right on when he said the stock suspension is RIGHT from the factory. I am not good enough to know the difference between a pro suspension and a mediocre stock suspension but I can tell you it handles night and day better than my raptor. It handles my 240lb frame quite well. I bottom out, but only when I would bottom out on just about anything. It absorbs some big mistakes on my part and turns those would-be back condensers into a nice plush landing most of the time. My Suzuki MX friends helped me set this suspension up and they really took good care of me. I wish I had the seat time on this thing to feel comfortable enough launch over some of the big jumps. I now in time it will come. It has handled everything I have thrown at it so far. So....it's gonna happen!!! In time!!

I ended up 7th in my class. As my boy says....It's not if you win or lose.... Yeah Right! LOL I had a BLAST anyway. I was not last and that was my goal. I'm going to stick with this class until the end of the year now. I know where I stand and know where I need to make corrections and improve. Plus....I have a few scores to settle. :)

I have 2 weeks to get ready for the next Hare Scramble. I need to start ordering upgrade parts tomorrow.

parts and to-do list:

*I need a set of those fancy hand guards
*Bigger tires.
*Sprockets (may gear down to compensate for bigger tires)
*Find a dealer that can flash my race ECU or one that will take the time to read the provided directions I have for them.
*Need a brighter set of riding gear so I stand out for my pit crew.
*WHATEVER ELSE YOU GUYS MAY SUGGEST???

I will add pics tomorrow or the next day. I am leaving for Chicago for a conference in the morning so I will have the next 3 days to study the internet for parts. Going to be a real productive conference. For ATV parts anyway. LOL

Thanks to Johnny (Motoworks), TNT, Blizzard, and the many of others that helped get me going for this weekend. I can't remember you all off the top of my tired brain. Also to my MX friend Chip drove 2 hours each way to pit for me, I owe you one! Craig

hotshotgoal30
05-04-2009, 06:35 AM
nice write up. sounds like you had fun. no major issues and you finished on a stock machine. im sure once you get used to it and make the adjustments you will be right were you want

IOWAracer
05-05-2009, 12:45 PM
First off where was the race?

Second you need a set of hipers 4 to 1 offset fronts and stock offset year that will narrow you up a bit cause your way wide get some razr2 fronts and razr rears, get a preceision dampner and quadtech seat and you got your self a makings of a good can am woods bike i am running axis in front and HI gear re build in back and cant be happier maybe suspension and some arms off the xc version would be a good idea if ur gonna race some xc...

craigmacphee
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM
"First off where was the race?

Second you need a set of hipers 4 to 1 offset fronts and stock offset year that will narrow you up a bit cause your way wide get some razr2 fronts and razr rears, get a preceision dampner and quadtech seat and you got your self a makings of a good can am woods bike i am running axis in front and HI gear re build in back and cant be happier maybe suspension and some arms off the xc version would be a good idea if ur gonna race some xc..."

The race was in Portland Michigan. It was a district 14 AMA event. What size tires do you recommend? And...what ply Razr's? I bought some 6 ply razr2's all the way around for my raptor and they seemed heavy as hell. I am a little unclear with your hiper suggestion though...Are you saying I should get a set of 4to1 offset front rims for the front? I understand that part. but the "stock offset year that will narrow me up" threw me off. I've been puting off the steering dampner but I see all the cool kids are running it so maybe it's time I jump on the train! :) I will order one this week. Are you guys messing with the gearing at all? Thanks, Craig

kellymi
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
For XC racing you will want to use those 6 ply tires. They may be a little heavy but XC can chew up tires. Most people run 20's in the rear and 21's in the front. I think what IOWAracer is saying is that 4to1 front rims will help narrow up the front short of narrorer a-arms. For the rear your 09 should have came with the adjustable axe. just narrow it up to match the front.

craigmacphee
05-05-2009, 09:20 PM
ok, gotcha. Any particular rims you guys recommend?

IOWAracer
05-06-2009, 01:36 PM
HIPER!!!!!!!!!

Aussie_YFZ450
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
The MX has 4+1 offset rims stock....

did you find it hard to get through the tight parts of the track with the width you are at now?

if not, then you may not need to go narrower.

for tracks that have alot of high speed sections stick with the stock gearing, you will go right past other bikes on the high speed areas.

if the track has a lot of tight stuff where acceleration is important, a 41 or 42 rear will put you back close to stock gearing with the 18" rear if you have 20's on.