PDA

View Full Version : First race on the DS.

kellymi
05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Well last weekend I had my first race on the DS. Overall I gotta say I am extremely pleased with my purchase so far. I have been racing the C class for the past three years, and before this I was riding a 04 DVX400. This year I decided to upgrade to a 09 DS450 XC and jump to the B class. The race was a mudfest and I am just happy that I finished. Right now I am running this thing bone stock. Just cut the pink wire, pulled the airbox lid off, and pulled the baffle out of the exhaust.

First off I need to practice my starts on this thing. Out of the 30 people in the B class I was exactly last off the line. It doesn't start like my old DVX. Although it was probably a blessing because I didn't get showered with mud lol. During the race I learned many things. One is that this DS handles like a dream. Even without a steering stabilizer it is better then my old DVX with a stabilizer. It turns on a dime and is very predictable. Another thing that I learned is that the suspension is actually very good stock. I think it is better then the old DVX that had built GT thunder shocks. It does lack a little on the bottom the the power is a very smooth power. The gearing on the XC model is actually almost right on. In the tight stuff I was in first most the time and had no problem getting around without using the clutch very much. I was actually surprised with the stock swingarm skid. Even with the deep ruts that developed I didn't get hung up that much. As for keeping mud out of the radiator all I did was put two layers of window screen over the front. Halfway through the race I pulled the top layer off. At the end of the race I ended up finishing and was able to get 9th out of 30 in the B class. Before the race my brothers were giving me a bad time about racing what the call a "DNF 450". But, in the end I am the only one that finished out of our group:D

Overall I actually only have four days of riding on my DS and I am already way more comfortable on it stock compared to my old DVX that I built for me.

For the next race I need to do a couple of things. First I need to find a dealer that will help me get my clutch update done. Then I need to make a way to fill the gas tank faster without spilling all over. I have an idea hopefully by the next race I'll have it built.

Overall I am very happy with my DS. I know it gets a bad rap by everyone else, but I am glad that I took the leap.

Here is a picture before the race of one of the creek crossings.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/DVX170/0426090949-1.jpg

Here's the start. As you can see I am all by my self because I was dead Last.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/DVX170/bk170-IMG_5700.jpg

2nd Lap in. The mud just sucked you down. http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/DVX170/bk170-IMG_6570.jpg

X400EX
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Great, happy to see you like your DS. I also think it handles so much better than my old 400EX... I can't even compare.

Thanks for sharing.

grantmi
05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Kelly made us eat our words.....out of the (2) Outlaws, z400 and my LTR the DS was the only one that finished the race intact.

If he keeps this up I might need to buy one next year!

kellymi
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Couldn't pass up the chance to rub a little salt in the wounds, lol :devil: I dont think you need to worry about me. Especially if I can't get my starts down. :ermm: