PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild???

MX450
05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Ive got an 05 bone stock with a baldwin pipe and uni air filter. I am currently having no trouble with my motor, but it does have some hours on it and im thinking about rebuilding it before the crank bearings go out or something.

What would you guys recommend replacing? Crank and all bottom end bearings? What about the top end (valves in spec and cranks on 2nd kick)? What about the trans?? Also if i get a new stock crank does it have to be "trued" before I put it in?

Im looking to keep it pretty stock, maybe a lighter aftermarket piston and a crf cam but im not looking for any crazy build, just want to freshen it up and know its gonna last a while longer.

Also, what kind of price would i be looking at replacing all the stock components? Im planning on building it myself, im pretty confident with my mechanical work and have a factory service manual.

Thanks for any input!

eastside 400
05-03-2009, 07:41 PM
well i would put in a new crank, all the bearings and seals, trans wont need to be replaced unless somethings worn excessively, i really like the CP pistons, especially the venom custom cp pistons, 02 crf cam is a good all around mx cam. valves will probably need to be replaced with that many hours on it, but check them first, then cut the seats too, check the exhaust valve guides for wear because most likely they are bad too, the rocker wears them out but the intake should be fine, if you do the valves make sure you get new valve springs, retainers, and seals too. i would also get a thermostat.

for a crank, bearings, seals, valves, seals, gaskets, piston, cam and everything is probably going to be around 700+ or so if you get it from service honda, they have cheap oem prices.