PDA

View Full Version : Oil level question

BassHunter0123
05-03-2009, 02:08 PM
why is it when i check my oil level it is inconsistant. sometimes it is lower on the dipstick than what it should be and sometimes it is normal. thanks for any thoughts

05-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Let it idle for 5 minutes and check thats your oil level. Run it hard and your oil will be low because its spread throughout the motor. Let it cool down and its full.

BassHunter0123
05-03-2009, 03:07 PM
so if it is just sitting in the garage and hasnt been ridin that is the correct oil level? sometimes i will go out there and it is low then i will run it and check it and it is higher than it was.

NacsMXer
05-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by BassHunter0123
so if it is just sitting in the garage and hasnt been ridin that is the correct oil level? sometimes i will go out there and it is low then i will run it and check it and it is higher than it was.

When FlewByU352 said "Let it cool down and its full", that can be misinterpreted very easily. What he was saying is that when the motor cools down, the motor is full of oil....not the oil tank. So when the quad is sitting in the garage and hasn't been ridden, your oil tank will read low (the oil has settled back into the motor).

When the motor is warmed up to operating temp, the oil pump keeps oil in the crankcase of the motor at a steady level. The oil in the tank is kept at a steady level as well.

To get a CORRECT oil level reading, you need to check the level in the tank when the motor is warmed up. The best way to do this is to make sure your quad is on an even surface, and let the engine idle for 5 minutes (no revving the throttle!). Kill the motor, unscrew the dipstick from the tank, and push the dipstick back in WITHOUT screwing it back in...just stick it back in there. This will yield the correct oil level.

richards
05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I agree on the 5mins to get the oil up to temp and let the level come to equilibrium. Agree with do not rev - the procedure is based on steady idle RPMs. Revving will speed up the oil pumps and possibly change the oil level. Also agree on measuring by pushing the dipstick in but not threading it in.

edit - deleted what I said about leaving the engine running, that was wrong. See my quote below from the manual.

kilgoja
05-04-2009, 05:41 PM
lol...actually the manual doesn't say leave it running but it doesn't say shut it off either...bad honda....bad bad

richards
05-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Man I am sorry, I am wrong. I just re-read it after I saw your post and the service manual does say to stop the engine.

I thought it would be the same as the dry sump car I used to have, that required the engine to be running. But the Honda is different.

The service manual says:

Place the vehicle on level ground.
Start the engine and let it idle for a 5 minutes. If the air temperature is below 10°C (50"FL let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (a total of 10 minutes).
Stop the engine.
After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.
Check the oil level by inserting the oil filler/dipstick into the oil filler hole without screwing it in.