PDA

View Full Version : longer A-arms and swingarm?

Sweet400EX
11-18-2001, 03:20 AM
hey guys, I would just like your thoughts on a question I have. should I get longer A-arms and/or a longer swingarm for a 400ex. I ride mostly trails, powerlines, and farm fields. What are the perks of these mods? What brands would you recomend? Any info or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

- Doug

Leo
11-18-2001, 06:18 AM
If you do a signifigant amount of trail riding, wider isn't always better :D but it depends a lot on the type of trail your ripping it up on...

If you find youself just squeaking by obstacles now, and extra 2-4 inches of width will feel like about 3 feet on the trail at speed.

You just need to decide if the advantages (better handling and more stability in the corners) will outweigh the disadvantages on the trail (the tight spots get MUCH tighter)..

Leo

[moving to the chassis forum]

Guy400
11-18-2001, 06:22 AM
The benefits of a longer swingarm and longer a-arms is increased stability and cornering. The down side new suspension is necessary. When you extend these pieces on factory shocks you really increase the leverage you apply to them and the shocks become very soft. You'll notice you'll bottom out easier and jumps that you land now that are on the borderline of bottoming out will definitely be bottoming. Extended swingarms and a-arms are great as long as you have the shocks to go with them. As far as brands to look at; Roll Design, Laeger, Houser, Lonestar, etc. The usual suspects.

Sweet400EX
11-18-2001, 11:48 AM
thanks guys for the info. i appreciate it.