PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Bearings...a little help!

DRich43
05-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Hello All,

I have slight movement in my carrier bearing front to back and plan on changing it out soon. What brands have you all had sucess with?

Also, have you ever seen a zerk fitting on a stock swingarm to grease the bearing from the outside...if so is it hard to instal?

Thanks again,

buster024
05-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I've replaced mine with just oem bearings, and they seem to work just fine. You can search for the zerk fitting topic. I would swear there's a thread on how to do it.

shok47
05-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a RAD twin row bearing carrier with a zerk I got for $90 on ebay. works great

hondaking52
05-03-2009, 10:56 AM
well if its just bearings, i would get a all balls kit and rebuild it, if the carrier is pooched, i would go with the RAD as stated above, i like mine alot, and the grease zerk on the outside is very nice, but if you wanted to put a zerk in the stock carrier just drill and tap a hole in the middle of it, and then drill a larger hole in ur swingarm and get a oil pan plug that would fit it, so wen you wana grease it, just back the carrier off to wear you can see the zerk and away ya go, hope this helps

honda400ex2003
05-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I have used some pivot works ones in the past nad they work fine too. I am not sure now they compare to the all balls ones but i think i will try those next when i have to do the bearings again. steve

bbender85
05-04-2009, 07:43 AM
my bearings just tanked, and with a trip planned this weekend and no extra money for the twin-row carrier i'd like, i went with some OE-style replacements on ebay for $22 shipped; they wanted $75 for JUST the bearings at the dealer, and you can get a decent aftermarket twin-row carrier with bearings for $120-150... so when these bearings go again thats my plan.

F-16Guy
05-04-2009, 08:12 AM
If I remember correctly, the stock axle bearings are sealed, so adding a zerk fitting wouldn't really do any good for lubing the bearings. Just apply a liberal coat of quality, waterproof marine grease to everything during assembly to keep moisture out and you should be fine.

DRich43
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to buy a Burgard Twin Row unit and instal it later this week. It has everything I need and they have good prices.

Thanks again,

hondaking52
05-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
If I remember correctly, the stock axle bearings are sealed, so adding a zerk fitting wouldn't really do any good for lubing the bearings. Just apply a liberal coat of quality, waterproof marine grease to everything during assembly to keep moisture out and you should be fine. you are correct, but the seals will fall off eventually, and water does seem to find its way in there from time to time.