PDA

View Full Version : Is The Ds Right For Me?

WoodsRacer16
05-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Im getting a new quad next season. I love my old 07 yfz.I thinking about a 09 ds XC. I been talking to my can-am dealer about a racer suport program and it was pretty sweet. But i know there is alot of problems with the can-am. And the way some of yall talk adout yalls ds's im not sure any more about can-am. Can yall give me some feed back about what yall think. Im a c-class racer about to go to b-class in xc.I need to know what kind of problems and how to fix the problem and the cost of fixing the problem.I need to know what to look out for.Is the ds right for me? PLZ HELP

hotshotgoal30
05-02-2009, 09:35 AM
dont be confused. there have been problems but most of these have ben on the 08 which was the first year and many have been minor stupid things. the 09s have had most of the things fixed right at can am. im assuming they did their homework and fixed it.

Bill Fuller
05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
There is no way I would even consider the DS. Look at race results they have had two years to get that piece of super high tech crap producing. I know it has won races but for all the hype that was made when it came out, I am VERY dissapointed. Why wouldn't you stick with the YFZ if you love it?? Before I would even consider the DS I would look at 3-4 different manufactuers. This is only my opinion but I look at what is winning and durable and the Can Am just hasn't proved either to me. Good luck on whatever you decide.

hotshotgoal30
05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
There is no way I would even consider the DS. Look at race results they have had two years to get that piece of super high tech crap producing. I know it has won races but for all the hype that was made when it came out, I am VERY dissapointed. Why wouldn't you stick with the YFZ if you love it?? Before I would even consider the DS I would look at 3-4 different manufactuers. This is only my opinion but I look at what is winning and durable and the Can Am just hasn't proved either to me. Good luck on whatever you decide.
yeah he doesnt own one. probably never ridden one so go with his thoughts. cuz im sure when the yfz came off the line it was taking first place every race and never had a problem. im sure dirtwheels would back you up on that. so anyways if your looking more into it other than who won which race because its always the machine and never the rider i would go drive one. they are very light and steer like a dream as far as im concerned.

kellymi
05-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I was in the same situation. Raced C class for the last 3 years and this year I decided to get the 09 XC and jump up to B class. I had a DVX400 before this. I only have one mud race under my belt, but I gotta say that I don't regret it one bit! If you get the 09 they did a lot of updates to it. Take it for a ride if you can. The steering is amazing and the suspension is actually really good for stock. If you get the 09 make sure it has the clutch update done to it. I bought one of the very first 09's before they did the clutch update. So far it is a great bike! I will try to post up a full review of my first race tomorrow.

Bill Fuller
05-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
yeah he doesnt own one. probably never ridden one so go with his thoughts. cuz im sure when the yfz came off the line it was taking first place every race and never had a problem. im sure dirtwheels would back you up on that. so anyways if your looking more into it other than who won which race because its always the machine and never the rider i would go drive one. they are very light and steer like a dream as far as im concerned. You are exactly right. I don't own one( already explained that) Never rode one because I am NOT interested in this machine. Notice how out of this whole site only two people would even speak up about the DS, that ought to tell you something. If I were to get a new XC quad it would be (in this order) YFZ, KTM, Honda, Kawisaki, Suzuki. I would go back to the 'ol 400 ex before I would go to the DS. And yes I do believe the YFZ has been winning since it came out. I got one of the first '04 YFZ's and have about 1 1/2 years on my '08 YFZ. I have owned Honda, Suzuki, Cannondale and Yamaha It's goingto take a serious quad to make me leave the YFZ. Now I'm sure there are DS websites, why don't one of you two send him a link to the site so he could wiggle around in there and see what real owners say or said. I would also compare part availability and cost. Have you shown him the pics of the footpegs breaking off?? What about the overheating issues?? What a stupid design to put the radiator up front so prone to mud and debris. To many questions to ask about this quad. I gaurantee that the only people who have good things to say about the DS are the people who bought the hype, now they have to justify why they did. Bottom line for me is I'm not buying something that can't compete.

Bill Fuller
05-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Oh yea and to confirm the reliability issue, why are they still having to do updates and fixes on the fly during production. I thought this quad was supposed to be the shat, revolutionary in design and feel, so much power ETC........................................ A quad that's been out 2 years and they are just figuring the clutch issue out:huh

joeyds450x
05-03-2009, 09:17 AM
i agree about the clutch you would think 7 years in the making that they would have realised it was junk! and the parts are so expensive and hard to find... but i have a buddy that has a built yfz he rides mine all the time.. his exact words were if this had my fox shocks itd be unstopable! but thats just an opinion.. i happen to agree with that opinion, mines never overheated or went into limp mode! i race mine hard and beat the crap outa it in the mud all time... and guess wut NO PROBLEMS!!!

grannysleeper
05-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I love how this is a DS forum, but people who do not own one, nor have they likely seen one in person, browse it just to get information to bash on it with. I LOVE my DS; I was a banshee owner before this, and did have a hard time deciding between the new YFZ and the DS. I used to be a Yamaha lover, but after owning the Can Am, I will never look back. The Yamaha is just a cheaply built quad made for the general population, which would be fine if the base price were better. If you want just an average quad that suits evererybody, buy the yamaha. If you want to be different like I did, buy the can am. It's like everything else though, other people will not like it just beacause it's different. Don't listen to the criticism from skeptics, most of their information is taken from forums like this, which is where people generally come to post their problems to find fixes. The info on here is NOT the rule, but the exceptions. Nobody leaves posts when their quad isn't having any problems! The best thing to do is to find someone with a DS, ride it and see for yourself. Then Go try the Yamaha; only YOU can say which is better for YOU. And by the way, for as cheap as you can get an '08 DS 450 these days, it's worth having to deal with a few recalls and a clutch update, even if you had to pay cash to get it all done!!

hotshotgoal30
05-03-2009, 11:21 AM
You are exactly right. I don't own one( already explained that) Never rode one because I am NOT interested in this machine. Notice how out of this whole site only two people would even speak up about the DS, that ought to tell you something. If I were to get a new XC quad it would be (in this order) YFZ, KTM, Honda, Kawisaki, Suzuki. I would go back to the 'ol 400 ex before I would go to the DS. And yes I do believe the YFZ has been winning since it came out. I got one of the first '04 YFZ's and have about 1 1/2 years on my '08 YFZ. I have owned Honda, Suzuki, Cannondale and Yamaha It's goingto take a serious quad to make me leave the YFZ. Now I'm sure there are DS websites, why don't one of you two send him a link to the site so he could wiggle around in there and see what real owners say or said. I would also compare part availability and cost. Have you shown him the pics of the footpegs breaking off?? What about the overheating issues?? What a stupid design to put the radiator up front so prone to mud and debris. To many questions to ask about this quad. I gaurantee that the only people who have good things to say about the DS are the people who bought the hype, now they have to justify why they did. Bottom line for me is I'm not buying something that can't compete.

you cant be serious.
1) you have never ridden one so how the hell do you know how they handle or drive?
2) the broken footpeg was because someone t-boned him with another quad. lol i guess can -am should have done testing on crashes to make sure their equipment didnt break is what your saying? lol get real.
3) all the hype? if you call great advertising hype then fine. because thats all thry simply did. they built a brand new machine from the ground up and advertised it.
4) the yfz has had plenty of problems since they came out in 2004 so dont say they have been a perfect quad.
5) most propblems have been fixed on the 09. and yeah maybe the clutch needed help, but i got a free clutch update on my 08 didnt pay for a thing, so its not that hard to get the right parts.

the point is they have have some problems just like every manufacterer does. and untill you go sit on it and drive it you will realize there is more to it then what the rankings say because its not all just about the machine. their are great people on this site who are racing and have many fixes to the little problems like overheating. talk to TNT he knows his stuff

ltr311
05-03-2009, 12:18 PM
All I can say is I used to be a doubter. I rode one and fell in love. They are a little under powered but otherwise rock.

If you ended up with an 09ds you would not be disappointed. Especially with the way can am is backing us with the racer program and contingency. I say go for it.

The yami is overrated and Id never own one. Ive ridden many on and off the track. All lacked the wow factor I get on the ktm and ds. Even the suzuki. Everything else just dont do it for me.

I say go for the ds450. Its not perfect but no bike is. ALL have there highs and lows. ALL!!!!!

grannysleeper
05-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Woodsracer16, check out kellymi's post "first race on a DS", some excellent information that applies directly to your situation.

ltr311
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by grannysleeper
Woodsracer16, check out kellymi's post "first race on a DS", some excellent information that applies directly to your situation.

Granny you live about 4 hrs from me. I bet your loving those dunes you get to play at all the time. Let me know if you ever need a dyno tune.

ProspectorJim
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh yea and to confirm the reliability issue, why are they still having to do updates and fixes on the fly during production. I thought this quad was supposed to be the shat, revolutionary in design and feel, so much power ETC........................................ A quad that's been out 2 years and they are just figuring the clutch issue out:huh

the updates are for the 2008 model, The first year of production. The 2009's have had no serious problems to my knowledge.

florentino
05-04-2009, 02:51 PM
There is no way I would even consider the DS. Look at race results they have had two years to get that piece of super high tech crap producing. I know it has won races but for all the hype that was made when it came out, I am VERY dissapointed. Why wouldn't you stick with the YFZ if you love it?? Before I would even consider the DS I would look at 3-4 different manufactuers. This is only my opinion but I look at what is winning and durable and the Can Am just hasn't proved either to me. Good luck on whatever you decide. i

patric #199 and travis spader or yamaha team have not hit the box they are so far .. also why is it that most of the pros on yamaha are racing the old yfz not the new one.. i think that its honda can am yamaha suzuki are good quads its up to the riders to win joe bird can win on any bike.. or gust and so on.. the one quad that i dont like its the kfx 450 or the polaris 450..
ktm its no racing mx i wonder why .. i race yamaha and can am and the only thing that yamaha its better at its taking the hole shot. thats a big deal.. but the can am jumps better, and no rider fatige thats why josh is doing better ... but he also won on a honda.. maybe you have to go and race against a good rider ds vs yfz ..

Seed
05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
You are exactly right. I don't own one( already explained that) Never rode one because I am NOT interested in this machine. Notice how out of this whole site only two people would even speak up about the DS, that ought to tell you something. If I were to get a new XC quad it would be (in this order) YFZ, KTM, Honda, Kawisaki, Suzuki. I would go back to the 'ol 400 ex before I would go to the DS. And yes I do believe the YFZ has been winning since it came out. I got one of the first '04 YFZ's and have about 1 1/2 years on my '08 YFZ. I have owned Honda, Suzuki, Cannondale and Yamaha It's goingto take a serious quad to make me leave the YFZ. Now I'm sure there are DS websites, why don't one of you two send him a link to the site so he could wiggle around in there and see what real owners say or said. I would also compare part availability and cost. Have you shown him the pics of the footpegs breaking off?? What about the overheating issues?? What a stupid design to put the radiator up front so prone to mud and debris. To many questions to ask about this quad. I gaurantee that the only people who have good things to say about the DS are the people who bought the hype, now they have to justify why they did. Bottom line for me is I'm not buying something that can't compete.

Um you are critcisizing the location of the radiator? Ummm the new YFZ450R is having the same problem. People are making home made louvers for there new YFZ450R's because people are acutally getting holes in there radiator from rocks and other projectiles. Also maybe you need to look at the quailty of yamaha now adays. Lets see for one they have a Fuel Injected System that has a bog. Which is shouldnt, hmmm what else. They went a little heavier on the design not much to make a different as long as the weigth is distibuted properly you wont hardly notice it. What else oh there frame is pretty much all cast aluminum which is junk and is cheap. So from my stand point Yamaha actually went cheap in there design.

WoodsRacer16
05-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I have riddin a 09ds at the ride says it all tour at the lynn's and a 08 at the dealership.I really like them but they are really really smoth i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. They lack on power but the dealer guy said he would give me a pipe and a computer chip. He said it will open her up. What i like the most is the handling and the fly so pretty in the air. Just dont tell my dealer that. I kinda took a few laps around there mx track behind the dealership. All i want to know what problems r still left with the 09s and how can i fix them...But the dealer is really pushing me to get one. I done spent so much money on my yfz. I just got my ohlins on my bike last winter. I was just going to trade my 07 yfz for a 09 yfz. Cuz i like trading up every 2 seasons. My can-am dealer called me. I didn't go to him.He called me and said Daniel how about if you rode a can-am next season and we give you a pipe, deck out your race tralior, give you a computer chip and etc....He said his shop will back me and i said wow. The only reason i told him i will think about it was i knew that the ds had major problems last year and i havn't seen the can-am winning that much in gncc and i know its a pain to find parts for a can-am.I dont have much money.I dont need a bike that well break down on me in ever race i put it in. I think the only reason y he called me was because im the only racer he knows... THANK YOU ALL FOR YALLS HELP IT MEANS ALOT.