PDA

View Full Version : Running without a reed gasket

Aceman
05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I've almost made my mind up on this but figured I'd run it past you guys and see what you thought. I'm running a Boyesen rad valve right now with a gasket and orange hi-temp silicone on all the mating surfaces. When I rebuilt it last year, I tried the gasket alone but it wouldn't keep a good seal when I leakdown tested it. Which got me thinking, why not just ditch the gasket, I'm using silicone anyway?

I say this because the Honda dealership is a week out on gaskets plus I'm going to leakdown test it afterwards to make sure it sealed anyhow? Nothing to lose, right? Anybody else doing it?

On another note, don't forget the loctite on your reed cage bolts. I must of forgot when I last put it together because they were only hand tight when I just took it apart!:eek:

skyhighatv
05-01-2009, 08:15 PM
If youve never used threebond 1211(i believe)i would highly recomend picking up a tube,good stuff! I have had the same problem you are experiencing with a pro-x cylinder,used threebond w/gasket and always passed my leakdown tests.

Aceman
05-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by skyhighatv
If youve never used threebond 1211(i believe)i would highly recomend picking up a tube,good stuff! I have had the same problem you are experiencing with a pro-x cylinder,used threebond w/gasket and always passed my leakdown tests.

Mine is a Pro-X cylinder also. Does Threebond scrape off any easier than orange hi-temp? The silicone sealed well, but damn, I hate scraping it off...

skyhighatv
05-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes it does,you can pretty much scrape it off with your fingernail. I use it on pretty much all my gaskets,just a real thin layer for peace of mind.

racerx573
05-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Send the head to get modded to use o-rings.

skyhighatv
05-03-2009, 06:10 PM
He is refering to the reed cage mating surface not hhe head.

86 Quad R
05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
i've done it in a pinch but usually run a gasket. i see nothing wrong with using three bond with no gasket. thats some goed stuff right there. :cool:

Aceman
05-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Dug through my parts and came up with a gasket. No worries though, I ordered up some Threebond(nobody carries it here!:rolleyes: ) so I'll be all set next time. Thanks!