PDA

View Full Version : Full time four wheel drive on pavement?

dennisd
05-01-2009, 01:44 PM
First off, just joined the forum and have to say; TOO MUCH good info to read through on the forums. But I'll get through it eventually.

I did a search but wasn't able to find an answer to my question.

I just picked up a "modern" ATV (the other one I have is a '83 Suzuki ALT125 three wheeler). I bought a used '03 Honda TRX350FM from a shop that went through and freshened up the machine (new brakes and rear swingarm bearings/seals). Engine has good compression and runs great. The question is; this is a full time four wheel drive machine. Will it damage it (transmission or drivetrain) if I ride occasionally on pavement? I'm talking just easy riding through the wilderness subdivision where I have some property. The county roads are paved and everyone rides around since it is on a dead end road. I know there is a front drive disconnect available but I really don't want to spend $400 dollars on that right now.

Bryson#221
05-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Dennis!

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question on the 4x4. I'm not incredibly familiar with them.

BUT!! ..I DID want to welcome you to ATVriders!! I hope you learn a lot here and meet some cool people (there's a lot of them).

If you have further questions like this one, you may have better luck of scrolling up to the individual sections specific for your machine. Good luck!..and WELCOME!!

I just love new people :D :D :D

TCracin440ex
05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
should not do any harm to it at all my friend. its just going to be harder to steer and turn but other then that it shouldnt hurt it

BLU82
05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
We bought on of those new as a workhorse for our farm. Ours has over 3000 miles on it and we have never touched anything on it. Never cleaned the air filter and never changed the oil. (Terrible I know, right) We drive it on the pavement quite often and never had a problem. Nothing on it has ever broke, the thing is a tank.:devil:

v0lcom13sn0w
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
you'll be fine.

S.A.J
05-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Welcome!!! Were in texas you from if you dont mind me asking...Northeast here

dennisd
05-01-2009, 08:26 PM
All right, thanks for the replies guys. I've heard this machine was pretty tough; that's one reason I bought it. Even the mechanic at the shop I bought it from recommended it over the new Arctic Cat they sell for what I intend to use it for (sorta a mule to do some light work).

BTW, I'm near Houston, to the southwest.

elmer91
05-02-2009, 03:36 PM
you wont have any problem, except if you ride the road alot, your front tires will wear out quicker than normal. welcome to the forum.