PDA

View Full Version : 2009 GNCC Series RD#6-The Titan-Live ATV Race Coverage

Pappy
05-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Round 6 of the Can Am GNCC Series finds us in Lafayette Tennessee as we prepare for another exciting round of cross-country ATV racing!

The weather has been outstanding thus far for the series however mother nature wants to see some wet conditions I reckon as rain has hit this region overnight and its raining currently trackside.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
The weather doesnt stop the series regulars as they race no matter what, and at 12 pm CST, they were working their way into the track.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Racers and crews take shelter as the rain comes down. Its been raining solid for about an hour now.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 11:29 AM
The Pro pit area has started being set up as the day progresses. There seems to be ample parking around the main pit areas as the course is laid out dead center around a large field...complete with cow pie's:p Roost will be avoided by me this round;)

Pappy
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
I haven't had much of a chance to skirt the course, however it appears there will be alot of open racing in the fields. Wide open runs means alot of gas and it looks like teh Can Am/Warnert racers have some added fuel capacity as they have added new , larger displacement fuel tanks to their DS450's.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Check back for updates throughout the day as I add more to coverage. Right now the thunder is loud and rumbling through the mountains, the rain continues to fall and the lightening is picking up

Pappy
05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Chris Borich was out and about, dodging puddles:p

Pappy
05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Taylor Kiser sounded pumped about the race, so I suspect we will see him doing all he can to remain out front!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Vendors are busily setting up while we have a break in the rain

Pappy
05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Elka Suspension was pretty busy trying to dial in a few things for one of the Polaris riders

Pappy
05-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Jeff Steoss chats with a Tireballs customer as a stack of Maxis tires sits waiting for some of the good stuff:p

Pappy
05-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I may be shooting myself in the foot, but from what I can see, this is going to be a solid track.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Don't make me unhook the Dodge:devil:

Pappy
05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
It might go faster if you HIT the post:blah:

Pappy
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Rick Cecco's ride gets a going over prior to tomorrows event

Pappy
05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Atvriders.com backed XC1 Pro Jarrod McClure has a busy weekend ahead of him. Jarrod will compete tomorrow here in Tennessee and then fly out west to compete in the WORCS event! We wish him the best of luck and the safest of travels!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Warnert Racings Chris Bithell was doing all he could to make sure his DS is ready.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Mike Penland starts the task of getting the front of his machine taped up in anticipation for a muddy morning race!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Fellow Can Am racer Cliffton Beasley was pretty sure Penland would do better if he ran pink tape and continued to tell Penland the how's and why's.....but I dont think Mike payed him much attention:D

Pappy
05-01-2009, 03:23 PM
The soil is soaking up alot of the rain, and the woods look to me like they would be fun to race in....the fields in the morning are going to be slick but if the rain holds off overnight and tomorrow, the afternoon race should see a nice tacky track!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Sadie Welch got to finally meet her friend here at the track....and they will be competing against each other as well!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Sadie also will be sporting some sharp new plastic and graphics.

The cost of fenders and graphics..$250, the accidental wedgie pull in the background..priceless:blah:

Pappy
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Sadies birthday is saturday, Charlies is sunday, I would like to wish them both a big ol' happy birthday from everyone here at atvriders.com!:D

Pappy
05-01-2009, 04:47 PM
The main road in required some gravel as it was starting to get pretty messy:p

Pappy
05-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Its slick enough that walking can be fun haha, I dont know how he was riding that bicycle in it:D

Pappy
05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
There isn't much else you can do but make the most fun out of the conditions as you can:p

Pappy
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Rick Cecco making some modifications:eek2:

Pappy
05-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Mark Warnert, the owner of Warnert Racing, lends a hand in installing a custom made heat shield to the new fuel tanks.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Don Sturdivant makes a tire change as he felt a tad taller tire might help

Pappy
05-01-2009, 04:58 PM
9 weeks in for Bonnie Cook. She said she and expected rugrat are doing well!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Chris Bithell hanging out of his RV inviting me to supper:p

Pappy
05-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Atwell making very good use of a rental car:devil:

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Well folks, things aren't looking any better, infact the weather conditions have worsened and dont look to improve overnight. Heavy rain has moved in and this place is a swamp:p

Getting stuck going downhill.....lol

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:26 PM
I will say that this town/county is very happy to have the series here. One report stated that this is the biggest event since 1970 to hit this area:eek:

Friday afternoon faded to evening and that means it was time for "Track Smack". This addition started this season and is brought to you by www.racedaypics.com. Dave, the owner of Raceday Pics and Rodney Tomlin have joined together to offer fans trackside and at home a 1 hour interview type show that is a hoot! At most rounds a podcast can be seen on Dave's website and it's quite entertaining!

On the grill first tonight was Mark Warnert, owner of Warnert Racing and the man responsible for such a large Can Am presence here at the GNCC's and the AMA MX Series. The back and forth question and answer session is mixed with humor but they touched on some serious issues as well making for a great way to kill some time.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Mark Warnert pauses for a second of thought as he answered every question they threw at him:p

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
The surprise guest of the evening was none other then the man! Jeremiah Jones! JJ is on hand and will be doing alot of work at the GNCC, AMA MX and NEATV Series as his work for Yoshimira continues.

JJ's Race Schedule (http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/yoshimura-hinson-2009-atv-jeremiah-jones-racing-schedule.html)

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:37 PM
JJ is a riot and right from the start the laughs were well underway. I hope everyone that attends an event that he is working will take a few minutes and shoot the breeze with him and if you can, support him as he is a legend to this sport and an invaluable asset to us all and I would love to see him do well!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Jamie Jones will be racing her first XC race tomorrow as well and it would be killer to start seeing her attend and compete at the GNCC events!

She and Nathaniel waited in the wings as JJ did his time with Dave and Rodney

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Jeff Russell was next up and they grilled him pretty good:D Jeff has won so many races in his lifetime that you could spend an hour or more just chatting with him!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Jeff, covered in mud from working in the rain all day, sure seemed to have a good time!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:48 PM
The final one to garner the attention tonight was Chris Bithell. Bithell is a good sport and was pretty honest when questioned about his DNF's and his season thus far.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:50 PM
They even drug Chris's brother into the discussion which brought to light some sibling rivalary that is bound to get things stirred up:D

Be sure to check out Dave's site and watch the show, I had a great time watching it live and look forward to this at each round!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
The show is usually held on the podium, but due to the inclement weather, Warnert Racing was host to tonights event as they had a canopy big enough to keep everyone dry:p

Work never ceased during filming and I know that had to be somewhat of a distraction and I personally want to thank Mark Warnert and the entire Warnert crew for putting up with us!

Pappy
05-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Just outside the protection of the canopy, the rain was steadily coming down.

Pappy
05-01-2009, 08:00 PM
With the weather turning nasty, it will be a huge oppertunity for the 4x4 riders to go after that coveted overall.

Micheal Swift stands on 5 straight class wins....and was thinking he might just have what it takes to put that Can Am on top tomorrow and continue his quest for his perfect season!

For me, thats a wrap from the track. Time to get a nice hot shower and clean off this mud, although some said it was doing a great job of hiding my white legs:eek2: :devil:

Live coverage will continue tomorrow as Monica picks up the action and does her best to keep everyone informed.

Johnny & Monica
05-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Ken you lucky dog I would love to trade you places tommorow lol nice pictures an updates .

burrows
05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I just got home from work. No results going on? mommab

Johnny & Monica
05-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Buckhannon, Swift and Traci Cecco for the morning I believe and Kiser, Borich, Sommers for the afternoon.

The website was down all morning. Sorry that there wasn't any race coverage. I spent the day with my Grandma who is in the final stages of Alzheimers. In the beginning you pray for a cure then your prayers switch to let her go easy. I'm still waiting for my prayer to be answered.

cmmick
05-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Sorry to hear that Monica. Our thoughts and Prayers with you and yours.

quadracer707
05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica
Buckhannon, Swift and Traci Cecco for the morning I believe and Kiser, Borich, Sommers for the afternoon.

The website was down all morning. Sorry that there wasn't any race coverage. I spent the day with my Grandma who is in the final stages of Alzheimers. In the beginning you pray for a cure then your prayers switch to let her go easy. I'm still waiting for my prayer to be answered.

You do so much, I hope your prayers are answered,

Ken

Pappy
05-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Thats a shame Monica, you should have said something last night and I would have had someone pinch it for ya! Our prayers are with you guys.

Well, I think my boots weight 45 pounds each

Joe Borich- Thanks big guy.....I wasn't looking forward to getting out of the truck and hooking that chain up....I owe ya one;)

Man what a day of racing. I dont care what pictures or video are posted anywhere in the world, you had to be there to appreciate that muck:devil: I think I am pretty safe to say that the track was less muddy then everywhere else:D

I had intended on stopping aroun 7pm and starting some coverage..which I did. I had a beautiful spot picked out along a mid ridge in the Smokie Mountains and for several hours tried to fix my internet connection. So I ended up driving 100 miles east to get away from the weather and low and behold it was a setting that got fubared when my laptop re-booted after a lightning strike last night:grr:

There was some great racing in all three of todays events, but I think I had the most fun watching people try and walk...trucks TRY and get unstuck and ofcourse, watching unsuspecting fans get roosted:devil:

It was great being back to the XC races....I can't thank everyone enough for the kind words even though I only missed one round:p Im sitting in a crappy spot at a rest area somewhere on I-81 uploading pics and getting ready to fry some deer steaks and get some much needed rest. I'll drop the hammer tomorrow and hopefully be able to start coverage if the wife will allow it:p

Simon MX49
05-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Atwell in the rental car made me laugh, thats a kodak moment

speednut3
05-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Don't make me unhook the Dodge:devil:

Bring it........:muscle: