PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyboby designed/patented Something?

RATPACK Z400
04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Has anybody designed/patented something and what did they go though to get it done and what was the cost? I have designs on three products I thinks will improve racing bigtime but need to see what to do about protecting my designs and getting them patented so i can see if some company would look at it with me and not having idea stolen.

S.A.J
04-30-2009, 08:26 PM
My dad designed AND built a 20ft. folding brake to bend metal up to about 1/4 mayb even thicker!!! He got it patented through invention home.they do a patent search and stuff to see what the closest idea to yous is...He got a 20yr provisinal patent i think its called,theyres some steps to it though but in the end it cost about $5,000 or so... Like first they do a 1 or 2 year thing like to put it on the market and see if any company shows interests and wants to buy it from you or give you comission if they build it.If no company picks it up during that time then i think you go and do the 20yr patent and stuff....

Quad18star
04-30-2009, 08:56 PM
You ever see those gas can helpers ... you know the thing you strap a 5 gallon can into and it swings ... helps you to pour gas ?? Well I didn't invent it or patent it, but my uncle did. He had the prototypes and went through the whole patent process ... then went through a divorce and gave up the patent.

It wasn't long afterwards that someone else put it on the market and made huge dollars off it. I still have the very first one he ever made and even has the temporary patent number on it.

01 250exman
04-30-2009, 09:02 PM
damn that sucks butt that's why I wont get married!:o

RATPACK Z400
04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
that sucks he got screwed! thats what I dont want to happen to me .Someone else making millions .

RATPACK Z400
05-02-2009, 04:04 PM
My designs/ideas arent, like that only the Atv industry could put it to use on sportquads mx/xc would love too tell you what it is but would give idea away!would love to show designs to atv parts company without them stealing my idea.Wonder what I could do?Only have drawings of designs.

Quad18star
05-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
My designs/ideas arent, like that only the Atv industry could put it to use on sportquads mx/xc would love too tell you what it is but would give idea away!would love to show designs to atv parts company without them stealing my idea.Wonder what I could do?Only have drawings of designs.

With the way the industry is , make sure you have that patent first. If you think it'll make money, then chances are someone else will try and make money off of it also ... and showing them paper designs is like throwing away all your hard work. They may tell you they'll never copy it, then a month later it's released and they have the patent for it.

For the money that it's worth ... get the patent done first .. then show them. I'm not sure what it's like for you guys , but when my uncle was going through the process, it was only a couple hundred to get things rolling.

RATPACK Z400
05-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Yeah Im gonna go that route if i can i know this sounds unreal but my aunt told me of a great uncle in the early 1900,s invented something that let the gun shoot though the propeller of plane in war world 1 and his patent was stolen from friend so you cant trust no one ! Im pretty sure I can protype one of the designs and test it to see if its gonna work and patented it. the second is gonna be hard without a metal shop to use if i had metal shop to use a one guy that can weld good, and i could trust not to talk i think I could build it !

ben300
05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
remember, if your gonna be makign anythign that invovles ppl riding it or the possibility of somone getting hurt.....you need to have a professional engineer check it so that i can then be legally produced, other wise...your *** could get sued

Pappy
05-04-2009, 11:57 PM
www.legalzoom.com

You can get info from them and have them do the entire process

Bryson#221
05-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Pappy to the rescue once again:p

RATPACK Z400
05-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the Info ! hope can show off designs in future if there good enuff to produce or not.