PDA

View Full Version : Possible future project!!!Also how easy to make street legal?

S.A.J
04-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I was bored so i went on paint and drew up a possible buggy design id like to make... Ive been talking about and dreaming about making a gokart/buggy type of thing with a streetbike motor for awhile now and i think itd be awesome!!!
The pic is a VERY rough example of what itd prolly look like...Id use sportquad tires and wheels and probably quad suspension too. Itd be a 2 seater,solid axle from a quad most likely and quad type a-arms id build myself but probably couple inches wider.The engine would prabably be a 600cc to 1000cc streetbike motor just baisicly whatever i can get my hands on for a good price.The frame would be around 2inch steel tubing,and id also build my own swing-arm and linkage unless i dont use a linkage system...
This whole thing would be built pretty compact and would have quad tires and wheels and suspension so i can go slap on some paddle tires and go to the dunes or mx tires to ride around in dirt or flat track tires to go drag racing so id have myself a multi purpose buggy baisicly.

Now for my questions,the way i drew the motor in the pic it sits abit above the axle instead of in front like on a quad or streetbike,would that change anything or like bother anything,itd still work good right?
Now for the big one,how easily could somthing like that be made street legal if it had brake lights,signal lights,headlights and of course DOT approved tires? Or like what all would be needed,or is it even possible?I would imagine that it would be because alot these other buggys and dune buggys seem to be made street legal so why not this if all the equiptment is there?

Soooo im sure some will prolly say im crazy/stupid/outa my mind and what not but im also pretty sure some will like it ALOT like i do...Feel free to add your ideas sugestions etc. whatever...

Thanks

Oh and please dont laugh or make fun of my scetch/drawing lol i spent alota time on it :p

One_Bad_400
04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
that dream has been pondering in my head for years and years. but i've never had the money to go threw with it. i've always wanted to build something like you drew up, or i complete mud machine that could go threw anything, or something that could handle any corner at high speeds, like a mini F1 car, i had the plans and everything. but my comp crashed and lost interest.

04-30-2009, 08:33 PM
just buy a buggy they arent that much and they can have some crazy motors in them.

S.A.J
04-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah that musta sucked!!! Also i aint buying it,im building it,i WANT to build it and make it one of a kind.
What do yall think about the streetlegal part? It possible?

S.A.J
04-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh and im selling/trading my 450r cause ive lost too much interest in it....If i do build it it'll be on a budget but i think i could do it cheap cause i can build the majority of the parts myself...

04-30-2009, 08:54 PM
This is what I want to do with a bike engine. Probably will a couple years down the road. I want to use 1" tubing, and some other body.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mvm5HbjfSYw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mvm5HbjfSYw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

S.A.J
04-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah thats pretty sick and sounds reallll good!!!

04-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by S.A.J
Yeah that musta sucked!!! Also i aint buying it,im building it,i WANT to build it and make it one of a kind.
What do yall think about the streetlegal part? It possible?

You need to find out the laws in your state.

brow7586
05-01-2009, 08:22 AM
you won't be able to mount the motor up the way you want due to the fact that when your suspension flexes the chain will come off or that when the suspension is fully extended the chain will break

S.A.J
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Yeah i had just thought about that too...im gona have to make it in front....the reason i wanted it to be on top was so itd be shorter like the whole buggy but that wont work...i'll have to figure something else out...

54warrior
05-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by S.A.J
Yeah i had just thought about that too...im gona have to make it in front....the reason i wanted it to be on top was so itd be shorter like the whole buggy but that wont work...i'll have to figure something else out...

That's an easy fix...

S.A.J
05-01-2009, 11:58 AM
that would make aligning the chain with the sprocket on the axle easier too...good thinking man!!! thanks

concise
05-01-2009, 02:23 PM
minibuggy.net is your friend.

go there you will be baffled with the builds , i myself am building a pilot sized vehical with a long travel suspension but think i wanna use a 450 or 525 motor , alot of guys use sled motors on there as well.

Bryson#221
05-01-2009, 05:40 PM
That's really close to what my hunny is building:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/Jasmine01_Renae/toys.jpg

(In the corner)

That's the best pic I have for now. He's actually done quite a bit to it since...put a seat in it and added some more reinforcements. It's got some kind of streetbike motor in it. Yamaha 700cc or something like that. He even got ahold of some front & rear Fox shocks :D

S.A.J
05-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey thats pretty cool right there!!! Im wanting to go more for the sleek and arodynamic look though...And it wont be anywhere close to long travel...Im thinking mayb 600-1000cc mayb a busa engine if i find one cheap,not near as long as a dune buggy,more like the pic,and closer to the ground too,like a big go kart with shocks and more of a buggy look compared to a go kart though....it'll be fun forsure if i ever get my 450r sold and get some mone to start... Keep ideas,pics,vids coming if you got them