PDA

View Full Version : decided to change rings( Stage one )

vindell
04-30-2009, 03:46 PM
ok, a little nervous about this one, never replaced ring's before, several members expressed an easy job. removed cylinder and piston as well as rings, by the way i'm working on an 2005 eton 70 viper. the top of the piston was coated with carbon build-up. I mean a 1/8 inch. claened , have soaking in gas at the moment. Cylinder looks fine. the part wher the spark plug goas was filthy also,cleaden. doas the arrow on the piston go on the top, or bottom. didnt take notice, lol. a newbee !! lol. anything else i should do prior to re-assemble. shoul I clean the passage ways in the cylinder. soak in gas or polish with a dremel ? Hope to have rings installed by tommorow evening. Thank's Vince

04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
The arrow needs to go towards the exhaust which means down. The rest is up to you. Its real easy to do it. Have faith.

etondaddy
05-01-2009, 05:10 AM
pm me your phone # and I'll walk you through it.

Mike Kozura

dwhst9
05-01-2009, 05:23 AM
IMO, I wouldn't install new rings w/o at least breaking the glaze on the cylinder. Immediately prior to installing the pistons/rings, I like to take lint-free rags with some ATF fluid and wipe the cylinder wall down until the rags remain clean. When the cylinder is perfectly clean, you should only see red ATF fluid on the rag.

LT80
05-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Why put rings on a wore piston?
All that work and no new piston...
I refuse to understand.:rolleyes:

vindell
05-01-2009, 10:04 AM
used a device that one of my tech's had, two little long stone thing's attatchen to a spring loaded tool on a drill, removed all
glazing. excited to install this evening.

etondaddy
05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by vindell
used a device that one of my tech's had, two little long stone thing's attatchen to a spring loaded tool on a drill, removed all
Please NO...... you have to use a BALL hone. A flat stone hone will sharpen the port opens and can take the rings back out. Get a piece of sandpaper and round the port openings. I was going to tell you that when you called back.

Mike Kozura

vindell
05-01-2009, 10:49 AM
what grit sandpaper, ugh car mechanics !! lol. seriously hope I did'nt goof anything up !!

etondaddy
05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
what grit sandpaper, ugh car mechanics !! lol. seriously hope I did'nt goof anything up !!
Something like 80 grit will be fine. The ball hone rolls into the ports. See if anyone there has a ball hone about 47mm or a little bigger. Do you want me to call you back or do you got in handled.......:huh lol

Mike Kozura

etondaddy
05-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Changes are it's ok but you can't take a chance just knock the edges off it there is any.

Mike Kozura

vindell
05-01-2009, 11:21 AM
how hard will it be to install those little clips on either side of the piston. when done, should I just use the regular 50:1 fuel, or should I mix up a diff't ratio.

etondaddy
05-01-2009, 11:26 AM
how hard will it be to install those little clips on either side of the piston. when done, should I just use the regular 50:1 fuel, or should I mix up a diff't ratio.
I'll tell you all the tricks if we talk on the phone. To much for dumb hunkey a** to type.

Mike Kozura

vindell
05-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I'll give you a call now.

etondaddy
05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Try it now I was on the phone.

LT80
05-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Ahh, so that's why no new piston, you have a oval cylinder..
Should have borrowed Mikes balls.:devil:

vindell
05-01-2009, 03:48 PM
lol !!! now i'm really nervous, lol !!!! will let ya know how i make out !

vindell
05-01-2009, 06:53 PM
wow, job went smooth, a little difficult to get second spring on wrist pin, other than pretty easy job. Hat's of to eton daddy, w/o the advice, not sure it would of been this easy, Thanks for everyones advice on my newly found enjoyment of my children smiling as I once did as a child. Rode it for about ten minutes, seemed to have more power, prior it seemed to hit the powerband then quit, also replaced belt w// a polaris belt ? wanna say 877, from the advice of paul reimer, another cool guy.
Got the ring's from cory at kool kids, Around 17.00, 10.00 less than local eton dealer, he even gave me a free exhaust gasket for the thing. I sent one of my employees with a 20.00 for the rings and forgot about the exhaust gasket, cory said no prob. Can't wait to change plug, and see how it runs !! Thank's again for all the great input. As I stated before, someday I will give this knowledge to a newbee like me.

05-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Great job Vindell. Guess what? You got the MINI fever it wont go away. I got so hooked and still am. Its sure is fun seeing your kid love every minute of his racing and riding carrer. Its so fun. Good luck its only going to get WORSE LOL.:D :D :D

etondaddy
05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
wow, job went smooth, a little difficult to get second spring on wrist pin, other than pretty easy job. Hat's of to eton daddy, w/o the advice, not sure it would of been this easy, Thanks for everyones advice on my newly found enjoyment of my children smiling as I once did as a child. Rode it for about ten minutes, seemed to have more power, prior it seemed to hit the powerband then quit, also replaced belt w// a polaris belt ? wanna say 877, from the advice of paul reimer, another cool guy.
Got the ring's from cory at kool kids, Around 17.00, 10.00 less than local eton dealer, he even gave me a free exhaust gasket for the thing. I sent one of my employees with a 20.00 for the rings and forgot about the exhaust gasket, cory said no prob. Can't wait to change plug, and see how it runs !! Thank's again for all the great input. As I stated before, someday I will give this knowledge to a newbee like me.

Great job....... glad it went ok for yea. We took Kyle to a school dance and me and Missy went out to eat....I kept checking my phone for a call from you.....lol. Paul...your dealing with Paul Oooo boy.......just kidding talked to Paul today he's one of the most knowledgable most fair people in the mini quads today. He'll never take your wallet for a ride. Don't hesitate to call if you have a question.

Mike Kozura

vindell
05-02-2009, 04:39 AM
forgot to ask? Is there any break in period I should follow till the ring's seat themselves ?

etondaddy
05-02-2009, 05:49 AM
It depends on who you talk to we never did with great results Just ride it and have fun. Just try to save some money because before you know it he's going to be looking for more power.

Mike Kozura

vindell
05-02-2009, 11:25 AM
lol,next week, i want to work on the clutch, front variator has about a 1/2 inch of unused territory.

05-02-2009, 11:33 AM
if thats the case then shim the rear of your variator to pull the belt to the top. What size belt are you using a 780 , 787, is it a 16 or 16.5 which both are to wide go with the malossi belt its not as wide but if you mod the front variator you will come out of the top of your variator so you will recieve all the speed out of your mini instead of using heavy rollers that only hurt you in the long run. Keep your rpms up and pull the front wheels and do 55-60 mph with just a very simple mod and leave your rollers alone leave the big 5.5 and 6 gram rollers to the unknown. JMO

vindell
05-02-2009, 12:14 PM
wow, that was like reading spanish, guess i need a better understanding of how this drive system works. The front I'll call it a pulley, real name Variator? rear is the clutch correct? what type of mods should i do, just replaced belt w/ a polaris 877? 16.5. on a budget, looking for best bang for buck

vindell
05-02-2009, 06:35 PM
decided to check compression, read 's the same before i started.
runs stronger not sure due to belt or rings, now what ! swewed compression fitting in hand tight, plus a 1/4 tun. a little frustrated ! please advise

etondaddy
05-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Well you learned one thing you never change more than one thing at a time on these things it's no big deal. Now are you sure the gauge is good...what are you getting. I said one time I was going the throw mine away it will drive you nuts. I know it's hard but if it's running good forget about it. If it becomes hard to start or slow's down we may have put rings in a wore cylinder. Start saving for a new or used 70 clyinder. I;m sure you could find a used one on here.

Mike Kozura

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Vindell,if you decide that is what the problem is,I have a 70cc Koso cylinder,piston and head I will let you have super cheap.
We don't have any minis anymore so I won't be needing it.

vindell
05-03-2009, 07:18 AM
how much, thanks for the offer.

vindell
05-03-2009, 07:21 AM
well put some thought into it, with cold motor, read 100lbs. last night when i checked it, it was 100lbs hot when hot.

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2009, 07:55 AM
how much, thanks for the offer.

$35 shipped

05-03-2009, 07:59 AM
I will take it jason. Send me your paypal address.
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
$35 shipped

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Let me make sure vindell doesn't want it.

05-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Ok I want it tho jason ill send payment immediatley

vindell
05-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I'll take the koso stuff, are you sure that's all you want for it !
Let me know what I need to do to get it shipped. why don't you pm me your #, I'll send payment asap

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Pm sent

vindell
05-03-2009, 02:11 PM
excited, got the koso cylinder, will i notice a difference in performance? talked to paul reimer, looking into a new carb, and intake in the near future.

05-03-2009, 02:14 PM
It will probally blow up on you lol. J/K

vindell
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
feeling a little sour ! never frown or hope bad on someone cause you did'nt get the item.

05-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Ok now your out of line buddy. I was kidding and put lol. And for being sour you got the wrong man. I was not frowning on your buy I was hoping you would buy it cause it was one heck of a buy. As for wishing bad the was no wishing bad. To burst your bubble I dont even have a 50 or 70 it was to get you to buy it before anyone else did I was actually helping you cause you thought I wanted it so you bought it GOOD Choice and yes you will see night and day difference now get that junk you just honed off there and put the KOSO on it. Now you better buy a pipe and carb to get your performance out of it. Your going to be hooked on MINIs lol.

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Your parts will be shipped in the morning Vindell.

Toby.....I am still trying to figure out your post :huh

05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Thats great Jason as I dont want anyone to figure me out lol. I was going to buy it but he knew I wanted it so YES he bought it and it was a great choice for him. Thats all I have to say Great buy Vindell im happy for you SO EVERYONE REALIZE I DONT OWN A 50 or 70 and dont try to figure me out lol cause it wont happen lol.

jetta75
05-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I got the joke right away. It was funny. Something I would have said to a buddy.

etondaddy
05-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Toby your not right............. I guess that's why I like you.

Yea dudes hooked............he's not racing I'd run what's on there untill you see a big slow down. Might as well get your $17.00 worth out of the rings. It may run at 100psi for a good while.

Mike Kozura

05-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Vindell did you hold throttle wide open to do the compression test please dont think I was mad in any way shape or form. I was just kidding.Sorry if you took it wrong. Now your new hobbie is MINIS lol. Let us all know how everything turns out Vindell .

vindell
05-04-2009, 08:32 AM
yes,had full throttle. May have overreacted a liitle. don't like threads to go that way. Any help will be appreciated.

wvspeedfreak
05-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
dont try to figure me out lol cause it wont happen lol.

LOL :p

Bill Lemans
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
[B]yes,had full throttle. May have overreacted a liitle. don't like threads to go that way. Any help will be appreciated.
/B]

Vindell, try checking the ring end gap when you tak it apart. It can be a pretty good indicator on your bore being oversize. It's better to check it with measuring tools , but if you don't have any, ring end gap can help indicate.
That way at least you'll have a little more insight on those symptoms.If you check what's coming out and check it on the new parts you install it gives ya good idea what the wear margins are. Your gonna have this little motor apart and together so many times you'll know it outta habit.:D

I just got done rebuilding a 1987 250x with a ring gap .030 over the high limit.Was still running fine,underpowered, but running . Heck I was up trail riding all last year with it all season. That little honda ran for 22 years with nothing done to it:)
Just picked up a new honda 300ex just because of it. :devil: ....oops:rolleyes:

vindell
05-05-2009, 06:27 AM
do I need a special set of ring's for this piston. or just 70cc ring's
not sure of brand of piston.