PDA

View Full Version : careers?

fasterblaster09
04-30-2009, 01:31 PM
anyone know of any good sites that help with careers? I grad from high school in two weeks and am completely clueless as to what I want to do with my life. I'd prefer not to go to college over 3 or 4 years. and prefer not to work in an office. any suggestions? thanks, neil

jcs003
04-30-2009, 01:32 PM
machinist

derekhonda
04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you want to get out and do something with your hands then, carpentry, cement, road construction, all pay decent, just make for some long hot days. Get out the yellow pages and call around.

fasterblaster09
04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Im just extra worried about the economy and being able to find a job, and I really dont know whats in demand and dont want to go to school adn get out and there's no jobs in that field. how long is school for a macinist approx?

jcs003
04-30-2009, 01:57 PM
depends on what type of machiining you want to do.

when i went on a siesta from engineering school i went through a machinist program and it took 16 months. i learned conventonal and CNC machining, blueprint reading, drafting and autocad. i also had PLCs and other electrical courses. too much to list.

a community college would be great for you. math is also essential for all machinists.

also, if you ever decide to further your education in the future a community college is transferable.

ZeroLogic
04-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Don't be a contractor.:o

scuzz
04-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Information Technology if you have the aptitude for it.

Bryson#221
04-30-2009, 04:33 PM
McDonald's.

Why?

A. You don't need 3-4 years of college teaching.
B. You don't necessarily work in an office.
C. You know they'll always be in business.

-----------------------

(And please, before you take this seriously, listen to those other fools first) :D :D :D

Warnerade
04-30-2009, 05:14 PM
I went to this website and found a few numbers, looked at a few different places to work at.

I am now one of the largest llama breeders in ohio...and i never stepped foot inside a class room.

good luck

http://www.llamadirectory.com/

madskrillz2
04-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
I went to this website and found a few numbers, looked at a few different places to work at.

I am now one of the largest llama breeders in ohio...and i never stepped foot inside a class room.

good luck

http://www.llamadirectory.com/

Lmfao

Quad18star
04-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
Im just extra worried about the economy and being able to find a job, and I really dont know whats in demand and dont want to go to school adn get out and there's no jobs in that field. how long is school for a macinist approx?

The economy will not be like this forever. After 3 or 4 years of schooling, chances are the economy will be back to normal . This is just a normal cycle that world goes through every decade.

Warnerade
04-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
The economy will not be like this forever. After 3 or 4 years of schooling, chances are the economy will be back to normal . This is just a normal cycle that world goes through every decade. agreed.

On a serious note I run a boring mill in a tool and die shop and for the past couple years we were the busiest shop around and one of the last ones still hiring. Even we are starting to feel the pinch though as our customers slow down.

If you are interested in tool and die I would get enrolled in school right now and either try to get a job at a shop as an apprentice (less likely to lay an apprentice off) or find a job to hold you over until you finish school.

blacknblue#2
04-30-2009, 06:09 PM
agreed.

On a serious note I run a boring mill in a tool and die shop and for the past couple years we were the busiest shop around and one of the last ones still hiring. Even we are starting to feel the pinch though as our customers slow down.

If you are interested in tool and die I would get enrolled in school right now and either try to get a job at a shop as an apprentice (less likely to lay an apprentice off) or find a job to hold you over until you finish school.

Agreed. A machining career is hard to be. Its not stressful. Math can be tough at times but you get used to it. Its not a hard job on you physically and its real good pay. Im 22 and brought home around 50K last year. You wont get rich but to be an average joe its not bad. I wont make near that money this year cause i havent work over 40hrs all year but i can deal with a small year. and if you can get into aerospace machining you can make REAL good cash and job security. I was in an aerospace shop when i was 19. I wish i woulda stuck with it until i got my certification :(

jcs003
04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
i am an engineer and spend most of my time in a machine shop making prototypes and i don't mind it at all. my boss is in the shop with me getting his hands dirty too. having the skills to make almost anything is very rewarding. if only i was a good welder:ermm:

Warnerade
04-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Agreed. A machining career is hard to be. Its not stressful. Math can be tough at times but you get used to it. Its not a hard job on you physically and its real good pay. Im 22 and brought home around 50K last year. You wont get rich but to be an average joe its not bad. I wont make near that money this year cause i havent work over 40hrs all year but i can deal with a small year. and if you can get into aerospace machining you can make REAL good cash and job security. I was in an aerospace shop when i was 19. I wish i woulda stuck with it until i got my certification :( not a stressful or physically hard job? Clearly you dont run a boring mill and havent scrapped a 20k part yet :D

I've had some nights where I pull my damn hair out haha

AbnMP13
04-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Alot of folks will laugh but Uncle Sam is always hiring.

1 May will be 19 years for me; free education, free medical and dental; free housing, free clothing, free boots, free ammo, free training and decent pay. You'll never get rich but you'll never go hungry.

Wanna be a mechanic? Wanna work on multi-million dollar aircraft?

Wanna travel to exotic countries...............

meet exotic people.............

and shoot at some of them? LOL

PS No I"m not a recruiter, I do enjoy my job though.

04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Nuclear power plant. My moms bf has only a GED and never went to any college. Started working at a nuclear power plant 1-2 years ago. Now he makes up to over $50+ a hour depending on the day. He makes around $65,000 a year.

RATPACK Z400
04-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Electrical/elevader mechanics Union! thats what Id do if i was your age again!excellent pay/retiremnet.

Bradracer18
05-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Climb those 2000ft phone towers and do maintenance! Wonderful money....but tough to get life ins.

blacknblue#2
05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
not a stressful or physically hard job? Clearly you dont run a boring mill and havent scrapped a 20k part yet :D

I've had some nights where I pull my damn hair out haha

lol ok ok you got a point there but thats not an everyday accurance, well not for me at least :devil: ....90 percent of the time i enjoy going to work because i know its not gonna be a hard night but everyone has bad nights sometimes. Its not like some ppl that just take a job for the paycheck and hate stepping foot inside the door everyday, i enjoy my job! Im a boring mill guy myself. Or well i was im stuck on an 84inch VTL now but i dont claim it lol

KevinAb
05-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by AbnMP13
Alot of folks will laugh but Uncle Sam is always hiring.

1 May will be 19 years for me; free education, free medical and dental; free housing, free clothing, free boots, free ammo, free training and decent pay. You'll never get rich but you'll never go hungry.

Wanna be a mechanic? Wanna work on multi-million dollar aircraft?

Wanna travel to exotic countries...............

meet exotic people.............

and shoot at some of them? LOL

PS No I"m not a recruiter, I do enjoy my job though.

x2 The military is an awesome place to get some good career training and see the world. You don't have to be all gung ho either. I was in the Navy, my brother was AF. Esp for him it was just like a regular job.

Coolest experience one could ever have.

Edit: btw, now I'm a Civil Eng, bro is a Mechanical Eng, both via the GI Bill. Neither of us would be there w/o it.