PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Spilling out, Overheating? HELP!

skatrdude20
04-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to run some gas through my quad today, So I started it up and let it run for a while. It had been running for about 15 minutes, I stepped back into the garage, and my quad was smoking and coolant had beein spilling from some where. I am not sure where the coolant had come from, but I know my headers were cherry red hot, and my plastic overflow jug was full of coolant, which was boiling, and this overflow catch was NOT full prior to me running the quad. Any one have any ideas as to what could be wrong? Please help me out!

2006black450
04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
is the Thermostat stuck or broken??
thats what i would check and did the fan come on?

Modifly
04-30-2009, 01:45 PM
just overheating... no problems with it. on mine i have taken the expansion chambers off them and just run a pipe to the ground from the cap. when filling the rad have it 10-12mm from the top never have it full or it will overflow.

pro-rider46
04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
see if your hot start is in tack

skatrdude20
04-30-2009, 02:11 PM
My hot start is NOT in tack, the damn thing keeps popping out of my carb and the threads on it are stripped. Would that cause this whole thing to happen?

Scro
04-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes, without your hotstart plunger in the carb, you are letting in alot of air. This causes a lean condition, which leads to your motor running hot. Especially letting it sit as long as you did.

skatrdude20
04-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Alright, well I just ordered a new hotstart line, so I will get that and put it in. If this does not help, do you have any leads as to what else could be going wrong. I mean it just idled for about 15 minutes, and I could hear the coolant boiling in my overflow, and some had come out from somewhere or other, and was smoking everywhere lol.

Scro
04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm confident that will solve your overheating issue. 15 minutes is a long time for a motor to be running without any airflow, let alone in a lean condition. The smoke you were seeing was more than likely just steam from the coolant pouring out.

Why were you wanting to "run some gas through it", anyway?

coryatver
04-30-2009, 03:05 PM
The hot start plunger thing blocks of a air vent. Without that there you are running VERY lean. Hopefully you didn't cause any damange to your motor running it like that!

JessetheKid
05-01-2009, 07:31 AM
these things are made to be ridden, they dont like to just sit and idle for very long before they get hot

skatrdude20
05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey guys, I took it apart to check and see if the hotstart was out, and it was NOT out, but it was loose. I was running some gas through it to make sure my idle was alright, along with my jetting, because I just got the quad back together, So, i got a new hotstart line anyways and Ill get that put it, and see if that helps. Thanks for the help guys, if I have any more problems Ill come let yall know!