PDA

View Full Version : 450r stock setup ?

wvwoods
04-30-2009, 10:12 AM
I just sold my 300ex and purchased a 450r. I ride some gncc and local cross country races. After riding the r some it feels like it beats me to death. Can you give me some help on setting up my stock shocks to fit my application and my weight of 160 lbs. I have done some searches but was hoping for more help.

04-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Have the front and rear shocks revalved by GTThunder or C&D to your riding style and weight. It will make a world of difference

wvwoods
04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
That is what I would like to do this winter but for now I cannot spend much more money on the quad. Because of this I need to set the stock ones to help me.
Do I move the collars up to soften it or does that just affect ride height?
How do I know if I get them too soft?

04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
your probally getting beat up more because you arent used to handling a bigger machine and going faster. For GNCC stuff take all the preload off the shocks and try the compression screw 1 turn from full soft and the same with the rebound. See how that works out and make adjustments. Theres no magic number for everyone its all on how YOU ride. People think the R shocks are stiff on their EX but I dont think so at all even with the settings cranked I can still bottom them out real good most likely because I am going faster over rougher terrain. I ran my R shocks all the way soft before expecting the harsh ride like everyone says. They were incredibly smooth in the trails until you hit 3rd gear and your bottoming on the whoops. I see myself progressing based on my shocks, i'm not gaining much weight but a few times a year i'm adjusting them to make them more stiff to handle the abuse.