PDA

View Full Version : Longer steering stem. Do i need to buy longer lines ?

quad janern
04-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Hi there!
Im going to buy a longer steering stem for my 08 Yfz. My back hurts bechause im too tall for the stock stem.
I think im going to buy a +2 superatv.com steering stem.

I wonder, do i need to buy new brakelines, trottle line and clutch line ?
And where can i buy/find it ? Im mostly buying stuff on Ebay.

Thanks
-Jan :)

Ryan
04-30-2009, 09:43 AM
How tall are you? Im 6ft and feel a bit cramped on mine when I stand up... I was thinkin of going up an inch on the bars/... I really feel it when I try to hang off in the turns, it feels really cramped in that area.

I think some of the cables have to be changed, not sure if they all do. I know the throttle cable doesn't have much play on the stock bars.

quad janern
05-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Im just as tall as you are :)
I feel cramped on my yfz aswell. Its bad when i stand up, and when i ride hard and long on the track, my back starts to get bad. I need to get a longer stem.

Does anyone know if i need to replace all my cables ??

mxpimp2000
05-01-2009, 04:20 PM
i just put a +2 ARS-FX stem on mine and i have low bend renthal bars i didnt buy any longer lines for mine

i just took the clutch and throttle cable out of all the little holders on the head and on the frame and let them freely hang u can remove the plastic piece under the gas tank to get more un used slack out of the cables and as far as brake line goes mine is just right with the low bend bars i have, my buddy has the same stem and he uses flexx bars with stock cables. when u turn as far as the stem will let u the cables will get tight but not extremely tight tho u can still turn easy and saves u money on cables

hope this helps

quad janern
05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks mxpimp2000 =D !
That helped me alot.
Im running Flexx handelbars and im also thinking about buying +2 stem. Exactly same set-up as your friend.
Thanks, the next thing now is to order a stem :macho

mxpimp2000
05-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by quad janern
Thanks mxpimp2000 =D !
That helped me alot.
Im running Flexx handelbars and im also thinking about buying +2 stem. Exactly same set-up as your friend.
Thanks, the next thing now is to order a stem :macho

no prb man, hope that it works out for ya. there might be more tension on ur cables being taller bars but if u get rid of that gas tank sheild it should be fine i kept mine and it stills enough cable to reach my bars

banker30
05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
i have a +4+1 stem and im using stock clutch and throttle cable but i have steel braided lines..so thats all u should have to do