PDA

View Full Version : kick start impossible

maverick8m
04-30-2009, 12:52 AM
so i just rebuilt the whole motor on my 04 450r. it has a 14:1 piston etc. but this all was done before i rebuilt it i just wanted a fresh rebuild. so i set the timing on it or so i think. i went by the book n spent like 2 days makin sure it was right. however my kickstart is almost impossible to kick its almost like its gettin stuck or the compression is to much. but before i rebuilt it it was very easy to kick and started on the first kick. i did install a new clutch but i know for sure thats not catchin it n makin it hard to turn over. and i reinstalled the kick start assembly twice because i did it wrong the first time because it would not kick back up due to the spring not being on right. im gettin so fed up!! lol what do i do and just to be sure how do i set the timing and what position does the cam and notches on the cam chain sprocket have to be in?

400exMO
04-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Adjust your decompression mechanism, pull the spark plug and turn the motor over by hand. Make sure their is no interference with you hand before you go kicking on it. Might be off a tooth on timing.

maverick8m
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM
i went back and forth on the teeth of the sproket one forward was way off n so was one back. im pretty sure its on the mark dead on. how do you adjust the decrompession mechanism? its almost like its catchin on something when i try to kick it.

450R_lover
04-30-2009, 05:33 PM
there is a washer on one of the gears that goes to the kick starter. I bet it fell out and is getting caught on the gears as your kicking it. . . take of the right side (clutch case cover) and check it out. i'll bet ya...

duke416ex
05-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Another thing to think about is the cam, some of the 450r cams have had problems with the gear flange spinning on the cam and causing them to be out of time. Like was mentioned, take the plug out and turn it over slowly, it should turn over with no bind anywhere with the plug removed, if it is still hard in spots then something is hitting.

Scro
05-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Sounds like the decompression to me...

maverick8m
05-02-2009, 11:44 AM
it turns over fine n its not hard at all to turn the motor over by hand with n without the spark plug in. it has to be in the kick start so im gonna take the case off n see what i can do. the washer was on n wasnt caught up in the gears. so i must have screwed the freakin kick start assembly up puttin it in wrong or something.

thank yall for the help.