PDA

View Full Version : sprocket install?

uchi
04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
my 13 tooth front came in today and its going on this weekend. is it as simple as popping off the chain guard, loosening the chain at the rear, undoing the screws and using a puller to remove the sprocket or is there more to it?

dang400ex
04-29-2009, 06:14 PM
I think you have it all right except I do not think you will need a puller to remove the sprocket. Should slide right off after loosening 2 bolts...

uchi
04-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Perfect thanks. I look forward to either lots of wheelies or lots of burnouts haha

uchi
05-05-2009, 05:20 AM
well i changed sprockets, and it looks like my chains a bit too long so i need to pop out a link. so i start to look and cant find the master link on it. so i had to go and buy one. now i have to cut off 2 links and put one in. anyone have any pictures on doing this? im sure it isnt hard, just grind of the pin heas and pop the links out, but id just like something something visual to follow.

n811
05-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Naw you got it. its as easy as you stated. grind it off. I had to pull one link with a 14 and a aftermarket carrier.

bobizzle
05-05-2009, 09:14 AM
i just did this on my 300 ova thew weekend. put a 12 tooth in front. i actually cut the chain two links short. had to go and gut a chain break and make a quick repair job. i made it more work than it needed to be, but remember, they make half links, i wouldnt suggest using them, but if you have to, they work.

uchi
05-05-2009, 06:31 PM
alright thanks alot guys. i plan on pulling 2 links and putting the master link back in. i find there isnt much adjustment from the chain though. i loosen the 4 allan head bolts on the back and turn that wheel by the sprocket as far as itll go and its tight as **** too, but i dont seem to have too much adjsutment from it. is it a real small amount that it moves or is mine just seized up. i get probably about 1/8 of a rotation, give or take a little.

dang400ex
05-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Pretty sure it should rotate more than that...I usually stick something in the grove and tap it with a hammer and it will go...I would work it back and forth a little if you get it to loosen up any.

uchi
05-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Alright thanks. Any diwnside to me spraying some wd 40 around there to free it up?

dang400ex
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Im sure that would be fine.

uchi
05-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks bud. Gonna give it a go tomorrow

rob_990
05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
theres supposed to be grease in there thats probably why its so hard.just get a hammer and and old screwdriver.itll spin all the way around but it only tightens to a certain piont then it starts loosening again

Snipe
05-05-2009, 07:22 PM
All ya had to do was adjust the tensioner and it would had pulled the slack out of the chain. Remember when installing a chain the chain must be of even numbers say your chain is 100links long it should be 50 inner links and 49 outer links and 1 master link the master link is counted as an outer link. All chains have to be of an even number links to keep from eating up the sprockets.

uchi
05-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Good to know thanks. Is it a greasable part or do I need to take it apart to grease it?

dang400ex
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
The only way to grease it is to remove the carrier from the swingwarm but thats a lot of work...I would just give it a go tomorrow.

uchi
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
How do I adjyust the tensioner? And which tensioner am I adjusting?

uchi
05-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Sounds good. Ill just leave it alone and persuade it with a hammer tomorrow.

Originally posted by dang400ex
The only way to grease it is to remove the carrier from the swingwarm but thats a lot of work...I would just give it a go tomorrow.

uchi
05-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Sounds good. Ill just leave it alone and persuade it with a hammer tomorrow.

Originally posted by dang400ex

bobizzle
05-07-2009, 10:50 AM
best thing to do is use i tire iron. they are wide and thick enough to fit in the tensioner. this is what i use for my bike and it has worked charms. i have bent screwdrivers left and right until my friend grabbed my tire tool or of my tool box and showed me the trick

Snipe
05-07-2009, 12:51 PM
On your bearing carrier where the axel is right at the back there are 4 allen head bolts loosen thoughs 4 bolts till there finger loose dont have to remove them. Right in between the bearing carrier and rear sprocket there is a round piece that has slits in it. Get something really fat to fit in there that wont bend or slip out! (busted knuckles hurt trust me lmao)

Push it forward towards the engine to loosen the chain and pull to you away from the motor to tighten it up. I found going 1 tooth up the stock chain will fit.

Its really easy just loosen the chain up as far as you can. Pick the back of your fourwheeler up off the ground and set on a block so the rear tires will spin. Drop your bike in nuetral. Pick the chain up off the top of the rear sprocket and drop it to the side while spinning the tires backwords and down towards the ground. It will get tight but it will remove the chain and let you do all that.

To put it back on get the chain and front sprocket in then put the chain on the teeth of the rear sprocket and role the tires forwards and up towards the fenders. Chain is back on adjust slack to give you 1 inch of play and your golden. Took me about 10mins to put a front sprocket on yesterday.

uchi
05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Cool thanks man. That how I was doing it but I'm thinking that the 13 tooth might be just a little too small. I'm gonna check for a master link again today and if not then I'm popping out 2 links and hoping that it doesn't make the chain too short. Lol. Well 3 links and putting the master link in. Thanks for the info.

Snipe
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
No prob at all.

Im glad I could help.

Ryan'07400ex
05-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I have a 2007 400ex and my friend has an 2005 400ex. He has more done to his than mine but I still beat him. When he gets me on take off I blow past him in 4th gear. This leads to my question. What is the stock number of teeth on the front and back sprokets on an 05 and an 07 (I can't count the front easily).
Thanks

uchi
05-13-2009, 07:14 PM
i think im gonna buy a new chain in the next week or so and then put the sprocket on with a new chain. i dont wanna get into cuting this one and its the original chain so i figure i owe it to myself to get a new one :D think im gonna hit ebay for one.

bobizzle
05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
i would suggest personally getting an o-ring chain. they last longer than regular chains. when i put my front sprocket, i got a chain for it

hypersnyper6947
05-14-2009, 12:40 AM
yea i bought a non o-ring and it lasted maybe 6 rides before some of the links stopped bending like there welded kinda staight:confused:

anyways get the o-ring

Snipe
05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
O ring chains suck *** in my opinion.

You still have to oil them just as often and a non O ring chain, YOU MUST OIL YOUR CHAINS!!! if not they will break, bust, stretch or just plain go bad!

IMO if I was to buy a new chain I would get an X ring chain.

If your going to buy an O ring just save your money and get a standard chain and just oil it cause with a O ring chain your gonna be doing the same thing.

uchi
05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
seems like a mix of opinions here. anyone else suggest not getting an o ring chain?

thanks for all the input

Snipe
05-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Do a google search on X ring chains, There suppose to be best as there is very little open space to let dirt in allowing the kinking action that a previous poster had posted. Dont get me wrong you can get buy with any chain you buy but if I was gonna do an O ring I would either spend the extra to get the better X ring or save some bucks and get the plain chain as you will have to oil your O ring chain as they will sieze up just like a non O ring chain will.

No periods I know I am in a hurry lol.