PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR meets ATV racing

projectx
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Anyone see the story on Gary Weisbaum and Brian Winters on the scene? They are forming a new team that is bringing NASCAR marketing to ATV racing. I think it is a great idea and a shot in the arm to ATV racing. It worked for bass fishing!

What do you guys think? Wonder who they will go after if they get a program up and running? In the story it says they must have support from a manufacturer... I wonder who that may be?

feuerstack411
04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
no nascar in atvracing plz.

projectx
04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
you are right... no NASCAR please! but, smart marketing that was honed in NASCAR brought to ATV racing makes sense. If we don't take care of this sport it will loose the manufacturers and go right back to 1985! DEAD...

04-29-2009, 03:03 PM
NASCAR sponsored a TT event and it is good for the sport. NASCAR support is huge that means televised races and probally high purses.

Warnerade
04-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by feuerstack411
no nascar in atvracing plz. proper engrish in your posts plz

Pappy
04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
So we can expect gate fee's to quadruple, the cost of a drink to be $9 and the only folks who benefit are the top of the sport and the promotors:p

As long as there wil be drunk chicks in the infield im in.

Warnerade
04-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
So we can expect gate fee's to quadruple, the cost of a drink to be $9 and the only folks who benefit are the top of the sport and the promotors:p

As long as there wil be drunk chicks in the infield im in. you ever been to a nascar race and stayed at the closest campground to the track? good lord :eek2:

Pappy
04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
I used to like Nascar. I went to several races, had full access etc. Ive had dinner with Joe Gibbs, Dale and Ned Jarrett and Bobby Labonte. Hell, Richard Petty came around a corner one day and we hit shoulders and I about put the king on the ground...was funny as hell:p

When the sport "blew up" in the mid 90's...it became more of a circus then racing IMO. Last race I watched was when Earnhart died, havent watched hardly a lap since.

Hopefully, those in this sport are capable of handling outside sponsorships larger then what we have seen come over form 2 wheeled racing.

feuerstack411
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
proper engrish in your posts plz

internet speak plz

RaptorRacer45
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Id be all for it....im still as much of a Nascar Fan as I am a ATV Racing fan, Hell Nascar is origionally what got me intrested in Racing in general, id love 2 see both side by side

300racer
04-29-2009, 08:08 PM
i would like to see backing like nascar has but i think nascar gets worse every year. expecially (sp) after the car of tomarow! GAY
it used to be the best drivers in the world now its just rich cry babys (imo)

04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 300racer
i would like to see backing like nascar has but i think nascar gets worse every year. expecially (sp) after the car of tomarow! GAY
it used to be the best drivers in the world now its just rich cry babys (imo)

whoa throwin out some hate for jeff gordon lol nah NASCAR is great except the restrictor plates. and after carl edwards wreck at talledega and restrictor plates to blame i have to wonder what they will do to protect the fans hopefully get rid of the plates and let them run like they want to. if racing didnt have risk it wouldnt be fun

feuerstack411
04-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm from the North. That sums up my opinion of nascar.

300racer
04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
whoa throwin out some hate for jeff gordon lol nah NASCAR is great except the restrictor plates. and after carl edwards wreck at talledega and restrictor plates to blame i have to wonder what they will do to protect the fans hopefully get rid of the plates and let them run like they want to. if racing didnt have risk it wouldnt be fun

i do think gordon is a cry baby but i also think he is one of the better drivers out there did you watch the prelude to the dream? he had never even ran a late model before then and was still running good lap times

projectx
04-29-2009, 08:34 PM
speaking of Joe Gibbs... there IS a real reason to why he is PLAYING in Supercross... it's called marketing and offering his sponsors (Toyota) a vehicle to grass-roots market. NASCAR has it's place and it's unique fan base. Not a single person can deny that the France family has taught many teams how to market and raised their sport from the 'good ol boys' to an international sport that is bigger than many "main-stream" sports.

Supercross would NOT be where it is today without NASCAR... Nor would any form of racing. NASCAR has just as many women fans as men. Their fan base age group is so large! That is why advertisers and sponsors love the sport. But it has outgrown it's self. Many advertisers are not getting the bang for their buck like 10 years ago. That is why our sport of ATV racing fits so well.

I think the article said so many good things that would help this sport so much. Increase sales for manufacturers and parts suppliers.

I'm behind them 110%. I don't want our sport to be like NASCAR with the product on the track, but I want the savy marketing that NASCAR has! Ask anyone who Jeff Gordon is... Hell he hosted SNL and was on the View! come on! Just think about wouldn't Doug Gust or Wimmer love to have those opportunities?

One_Bad_400
04-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by feuerstack411
I'm from the North. That sums up my opinion of nascar.

i'm from the south......... and HATE IT!! if i was a left turn only kinda guy i'd love it. but i like to turn right too!

SRH
04-29-2009, 09:46 PM
forget about going pro if nascar gets involved, you want a ride in nascar, ...well who cares if you can drive you gotta bring a million to the team or a sponsor willing to put that up if you want to drive for a team.....how can you have the best drivers on the track like that... nascar is like the wwf now a days....

SRH
04-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by projectx
speaking of Joe Gibbs... there IS a real reason to why he is PLAYING in Supercross... it's called marketing and offering his sponsors (Toyota) a vehicle to grass-roots market. NASCAR has it's place and it's unique fan base. Not a single person can deny that the France family has taught many teams how to market and raised their sport from the 'good ol boys' to an international sport that is bigger than many "main-stream" sports.

Supercross would NOT be where it is today without NASCAR... Nor would any form of racing. NASCAR has just as many women fans as men. Their fan base age group is so large! That is why advertisers and sponsors love the sport. But it has outgrown it's self. Many advertisers are not getting the bang for their buck like 10 years ago. That is why our sport of ATV racing fits so well.

I think the article said so many good things that would help this sport so much. Increase sales for manufacturers and parts suppliers.

I'm behind them 110%. I don't want our sport to be like NASCAR with the product on the track, but I want the savy marketing that NASCAR has! Ask anyone who Jeff Gordon is... Hell he hosted SNL and was on the View! come on! Just think about wouldn't Doug Gust or Wimmer love to have those opportunities?

supercross ....please, do you know anything about motocross or supercross??? i like supercross..not nascar... i watch supercross for that reason... what brought supercross where it is today was jeremy mcgraths win streak, flash , flare he was on sports center, late nigth tv etc...he boosted the sport into the main stream, then the x games hit and pastrana, metzger and deegan made people even more aware, supercross has had mainstream sponsors since its inception, the amount of people who can relate to being on a motorcycle hitting a triple vs the amount of people who drive cars is 10:1 thats the difference

AbnMP13
04-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by SRH
forget about going pro if nascar gets involved, you want a ride in nascar, ...well who cares if you can drive you gotta bring a million to the team or a sponsor willing to put that up if you want to drive for a team.....how can you have the best drivers on the track like that... nascar is like the wwf now a days....

Ok then who did Joey Logano bring to NASCAR? Where did his millions come from?

Last time I checked Joe Gibbs hired that 19 year old kid.

projectx
04-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by SRH
supercross ....please, do you know anything about motocross or supercross??? i like supercross..not nascar... i watch supercross for that reason... what brought supercross where it is today was jeremy mcgraths win streak, flash , flare he was on sports center, late nigth tv etc...he boosted the sport into the main stream, then the x games hit and pastrana, metzger and deegan made people even more aware, supercross has had mainstream sponsors since its inception, the amount of people who can relate to being on a motorcycle hitting a triple vs the amount of people who drive cars is 10:1 thats the difference

I know plenty about motocross and supercross! I never claimed that I nor anyone here wanted our product on the track to be like NASCAR with a spec bike/car and restrictor plates... My point to all of this is that the marketing in NASCAR has brought RACING in GENERAL to a mainstream level when it comes to sports entertainment. NOT one single person can argue that. If business and marketing plans were taken from NASCAR that helped grow that sport to a mainstream, then why wouldn't we want that for the sport of ATV's?

I am only talking about marketing here... I'm not trying to start a debate on NASCAR and how well everyone likes or dislikes the sport.

But, I do have to ask... what do you know about the X-Games? The concept was started by Terry Linger, who was the race producer for NASCAR on ESPN and the original X-Games finance provider was ISC.... International Speedway Corp...which is NASCAR....

My point is that NASCAR is all over our televisions. Heck, you can buy a Little E fishing rod for sakes!!! The sport has just blown up... Like it or not they marketed themselves like no other!

trick450r
04-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by SRH

So basically your saying that the only people who watch supercross are people who can actually hit a triple on a bike? I bet alot of supercross fans cant even ride a bike.
How can you compare hitting a triple on a bike to driving a car? if your gonna do that compare them apples to apples, hitting a triple on a bike or driving a car 200 mph within inches of 43 other guys....

And the reason Nascar drivers are wealthy is BECAUSE OF NASCAR!! Havnt you noticed that most of the people that buy their way in, or are born into it (besides dale jr and a few others) cant drive for their life?

And for the people calling nascar drivers spoiled cry babies....JLAW??

dehner47
04-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 300racer
i do think gordon is a cry baby but i also think he is one of the better drivers out there did you watch the prelude to the dream? he had never even ran a late model before then and was still running good lap times

he may of never sat in a late model car before but he does have a few laps around a dirt track. he was a professional sprint car driver before nascar. actually one of the best. so, i hope he was running some good times around the track.

and just for conversation sake, nascar is boring. dont hate. just my opinion. my fathers a die hard nascar fan. well, really any motorsport. i just get very bored watching dudes go in circles. i do enjoy all the behind the scene shows and stuff. thats cool. road courses, now thats cool to watch :D

AbnMP13
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
NASCAR Rookie of the Year winners:

2008 Regan Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regan_Smith)
2007 Juan Pable Montoya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pablo_Montoya)
2006 Denny Hamlin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Hamlin)
2005 Kyle Busch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Busch)
2004 Kasey Kanne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasey_Kahne)
2003 Jamie McMurray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_McMurray)
2002 Ryan Newman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Newman)
2001 Kevin Harvick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Harvick)
2000 Matt Kenseth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Kenseth)
1999 Tony Stewart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Stewart)
1998 Kenny Irwin Jr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Irwin,_Jr.)

These guys got their start in: All-American Midget Series, ARTGO, American Speed Association, Hooters Late Model touring series, USAC and the IROC, go kart racing, open wheel sprint cars, legends cars, quarter-midgets, formula 1, champ car and Colombian Formula Renault.

So which driver "bought" their way into NASCAR?

Even Dale Junior won two Busch series championships before he got a full time ride driving for HIS DAD in the Winston Cup series.

Fred55
04-30-2009, 12:45 PM
They all had the money to be able to compete and win in the other series....

AbnMP13
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Just like all the rich kids on two wheels:

Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart, Chad Reed, J-Law, Grant Langston, Doug Henry, Jeremy McGrath, and Jeff Emig.

If they wasn't all independantly wealthy we wouldn't know who they are because they have bought their way into competition and further into championships.

dehner47
04-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by AbnMP13

Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart, Chad Reed, J-Law, Grant Langston, Doug Henry, Jeremy McGrath, and Jeff Emig.

If they wasn't all independantly wealthy we wouldn't know who they are because they have bought their way into competition and further into championships.

ummmmm you are way off bro. RC's father was an eletrical contractor and even worked up until 3 yrs ago when he retired from the company he worked for for 30 some years. bubba's father worked on the family farm and actually didn't own a home for 3 years while they lived outta there 20ft motor home that would brake down on half the trips they went on. MC's father was an auto machanic and mother worked in a grocery store or something along those lines.. and jlaw, he didn't even have a father or much of a mother in his life. he was was raised by his grandfather. which didn't have much. and barely got jason to the races as a kid. until he signed with suzuki and there amatur program. and doug henry didn't come from jack either. he was working construction when he got a factory honda ride. and as for langston, emig and the rest, not sure bout those guys so i cant say.

so next time you make a statement like that, please know where these guys really came from before you think there spoiled *****es.

04-30-2009, 03:47 PM

True money is winning races but not everyone had money to start. I dont know a whole lot about the other guys but I know TP's great riding talent got him up the ranks. It sickens me a little going to local races and seeing a 8 year old with a tractor trailer, back up quads and parts. Its like most things money now days gets you noticed. Not saying i'm pro worthy but I cant even give organized racing a shot because I dont have the funds. Its something I want to try because you ask yourself if your any good at what you do but theres no way of testing it. There is probally some back woods local rider that could hang with the pros but they are just racing around their track at home or in local riding spots. I thik it would be best for a big organization to come into the sport to make it more noticed. With a big association backing up something heck we may have never seen a ban on youth machines.

AbnMP13
04-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by dehner47
ummmmm you are way off bro.
so next time you make a statement like that, please know where these guys really came from before you think there spoiled *****es.

My post was directed at SRH who had no clue what he's talking about saying you had to buy your way into NASCAR.

Check my post about NASCAR rookie of the year. All those guys (yes, even Dale JR) had to work their way into the Busch Series and Nextel cup.

Besides, I never called them spoiled; I called them rich and all of them are FILTHY rich.....now. :D

AbnMP13
04-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
There is probally some back woods local rider that could hang with the pros but they are just racing around their track at home or in local riding spots.

Just like the Hayden brothers, who got started on dirtbikes and progressed to MotoGP racing.

Originally posted by FlewByU352 and after carl edwards wreck at talledega and restrictor plates to blame i have to wonder what they will do to protect the fans hopefully get rid of the plates and let them run like they want to. if racing didnt have risk it wouldnt be fun

How did restrictor plates cause Carl's wreck? Are you saying remove the restrictor plates to make it safer?

04-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Just like the Hayden brothers, who got started on dirtbikes and progressed to MotoGP racing.

How did restrictor plates cause Carl's wreck? Are you saying remove the restrictor plates to make it safer?

They caused the wreck because they are running too bunched up and close. All the drivers they interviewed from that race said the same thing about the restrictor plates. They run 200MPH on a short track but only hit 190MPH on a long track so figure that one. They need to increase downforce and get rid of the plates.

SRH
04-30-2009, 09:13 PM
My post was directed at SRH who had no clue what he's talking about saying you had to buy your way into NASCAR.

Check my post about NASCAR rookie of the year. All those guys (yes, even Dale JR) had to work their way into the Busch Series and Nextel cup.

Besides, I never called them spoiled; I called them rich and all of them are FILTHY rich.....now. :D

....my shop teachers kid got offered a ride in the nascar truck series, they got into negotiations and unless he had a sponsor willing to back him with a mill or he wanted to bring a mill of his own to the team they had to look for someone else...so yeah if your connected or got cash your in,...otherwise go try again

dale jr....wasnt his father dale senior......dale had money and connections ....thats a bad example

hardly any of those mx guys came from much more than a upper middle class family at best, poor people havent started out racing cars in ages ...poor people can afford a dirtbike

projectx
04-30-2009, 09:29 PM
trying to draw a comparison between rich NASCAR drivers and motocross racers / ATV racers is crazy! No matter what sport you are in... baseball, basketball, football, racing... if you are wealthy or your family has funding to support you, then the road is less difficult - ONLY if you have the talent. You could attend more summer camps, buy better shoes, go to a private school etc...

Cost of racing is the biggest reason we loose so many fast guys. Even in our sport. That is why I got into racing MX was only because of cost. I could spend $10k - 20k and have a top-of-the-line equipment and let my ability do the rest. In stock cars, dirt cars, etc... you need so much more up front cash to be succesful. Without a top-notch engine even in a local dirt-track series in a modified, you will not be up front.

How many post have you seen on this site from avid ATV racing fans who only wish their parents or their pocket book would afford them to race a competitive ATV? Way too many!

NASCAR has way too many flaws. But the marketing of the drivers and their sponsors are second to none! Bottom line!

F1 has even more politics than NASCAR... IRL has no money and no marketing... Supercross is hitting the nail on the head. Thank you NASCAR for bringing RACING to us as a mainstream sport. It has opened so many doors for other forms of racing to ride the wave.

Again, the point to my original posting was simple. Let's relish the fact that quality marketing people see a value in our sport. Let's support them and learn from them. They were part of a sport (NASCAR) that grew from a southern region sport with taped delayed races... to a marketing monster! I would love a piece of that pie!

400exrider69
04-30-2009, 09:54 PM
super cross is amazing i can't believe how much they have changed the sport i went a few months ago in Indy and it was great it was a show and a half the whole time. Atv racing is at the top now to me the most factory backed and everything elese only honda don't have a factory team if i'm right but i don't want huge ticket prices higher enterance fees etc....... it's great the way it is i just need more $$$ for a quad to start locally racing

OzLinc
04-30-2009, 10:39 PM
........They have already done it.

It was called the WPSA, the AMA/ATVA conspired to kill it off. If they did it again it would be great as quad racing is a great specticle.

The "pay to drive" arguements are all a moot point as all racing series around the world have an element of this; F1 has this and so does World Rally Cars.........at the end of the day the cream will rise to the top.

Linc

SRH
04-30-2009, 10:59 PM
when i started racing 2000-2001 you should see the difference from the local level to the national level....it was not rare to see warriors, blasters, 300exs out on the track with 1 or 2 guys dominating on worked 250r;s and lt 250r's

i think some sort of partnership needs to occur with the dirtbike series to take it to the next level....they need to find a way to partner the pro atv and pro dirtbikes into 1 day... then the amateur dirtbike and quad classes into the weekend as well... i think its doable...its all motocross... i think run 1 amateur moto on friday pros all on saturday and 2nd amatuer moto on sunday

AbnMP13
05-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by SRH
....dale jr....wasnt his father dale senior......dale had money and connections ....thats a bad example

How is it a bad example? He won two Busch series championships BEFORE he got a full time ride in NASCAR. You ever think that Budweiser ponied up all that money to sponsor DEI without having a say so on who was going to drive the car?

Originally posted by SRH
....hardly any of those mx guys came from much more than a upper middle class family at best, poor people havent started out racing cars in ages ...poor people can afford a dirtbike

My shop teacher offered a buddy of mine a full time ride on a MX bike but he couldn't go pro because he didn't have a million dollars to start his own team.....

300racer
05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Ok then who did Joey Logano bring to NASCAR? Where did his millions come from?

Last time I checked Joe Gibbs hired that 19 year old kid.
joey logano is a good drive and desirves to be where he is today (imo) but his money came from his parents! how many 15-16 year olds can buy a $50,000-60,000 race car to get them started?
another person i watched race around my local area that was not that impressive in a race car but is not runnin busch is justin allgiar. (imo) the only reason he is in busch is his parents money.

AbnMP13
05-01-2009, 09:26 AM
LOL all of you who think that drivers own their own cars are on drugs! LOL

OMG, let me sell all of you some ocean front property in Arizona! LOL Geez!

Thats what sponsors are for! LOL

dehner47
05-01-2009, 09:44 AM
not what there all saying. i think what there trying to say is these drivers at one time most likely have bought there own cars. sometime along the way. and really, alot of drivers own there own cars/ teams now a days. most drivers not all but most, own partnerships in there team. so technically, they would own there own cars :devil: