PDA

View Full Version : wanting to upgrade my 400ex

vinnie
04-29-2009, 09:30 AM
I haven't riden this in a while. I just cleaned the carb, and she runs great.
I have a 2000 400ex. Is it worth putting the +2 a-arms on? and should they be long travel? I don't race it, but i do some riding and jumping, and it bottoms out alot. I am 220 lbs, so i can expect that. I was looking into 450r shocks, but maybe the +2 arms also. What does it mean by +2 +1????
Where is the best place to buy arms?
How difficult is the 416 kit, with cam to do? Who runs a great, reliable setup for the 416??
Where can i get the CDI box?

Snipe
04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
If your riding tight trails I wouldnt touch them a arms if all I ran was track I would put the +2 arms with a wider axel as well.

+2 +1 means that there 2 inches wider and 1 inch forward, Ebay is best bet as aftermaket a arms are expensive.

450R shocks is what I run and I weigh 240 I have yet to bottom them out. Of coarse I have messed with the compression and resi settings alot.

The 416 kit and Cam wouldnt be that difficult if your good with motors, if your not you could pay someone to do it but I know around here thoughs ppl are pretty proud of there work. 416 is the most reliable kit without doing alot. I would run a stage 1 HC if I did the 416

CDI box anywhere from ebay to the net www.rockymountainatv.com most likely has everything your looking for.

matt14c
04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
The +2's are completely up to you and how you think your going to ride it. They wont hurt they will definitly help just depends if you want to spend the money. You could even get +1. But I would definitly get new shocks whether it is revalved 450 shocks or even some works or elka rec series. You wont need long travel unless your seriously racing. Its not your weight why its bottoming out it is because the stock shocks are that bad!!! If you get pretty much any aftermarket shock you wont have the problem again.

The 416 is very reliable if built and maintained properly. Im in the middle of doing that right now. Cam again is kinda depending on riding style. Either go with a stage 1 or stage 2 hot cam seems to be the norm on here. Although I have been thinking different because how everyone is saying the hotcams sound loud even when adjusted properly. Im going JE but I've heard good things about the Wiseco setups also. Be sure to watch the compression you get if you want to keep running pump gas.

You can get a CDI at pretty much any dealer that sells aftermarket, C&D, ebay, or maybe the classified section on here.

buster024
04-29-2009, 11:05 AM
I've got +1 long travels arms with Elka long travel shocks and they are amazing. I'm almost strictly a trail-ridin' fool, with a little dirt track mixed in every once in awhile. I have no doubt the long-travel are overkill for my style of riding, but if you are searching for used stuff online, don't steer away from them if the price is right.

As far as a mod on the engine, there are a few better things to do first if you ask me. Pick up the 450r carb, a Sparks timing key, and a rear shock. You won't believe how much quicker and agile you'll be without breaking into the motor.

After that, the 416 kit is the way to go. Very reliable, and lot's of power. GT Thunder has a 416 stroker kit that apparently screams, that's on my "coming soon" list. I'm just saving pennies for the rear shock and rear axle, then it's time for the new motor upgrade.

Cdi boxes are everywhere. Ebay, rockymountainatv.com, motosport.com, etc. Most are very similiar, and you will get mixed reviews on this site on whether or not they are worth it. I've got one, and I do notice a difference whenever I hit top end......however, that is not that often. If you are a dunes rider, or a drag guy, you might get something out of it, but during most trail-riding you probably won't. All that being said, I'm satisfied with mine, and happy I bought it.