PDA

View Full Version : Clutching???

RapKor
04-29-2009, 07:06 AM
I am new to this CVT racing, bought my son (11 yrs old approx 85 lbs) an 08 L/C 90 DRX that was done at Kool Kid Atv's. It seems to lag alittle down low ( almost struggles to take off), motor evs good so I believe it needs a clutching adjustment.the guy I bought it from stated that it had a KOSO clutch in it. I am wondering where a good starting point would be ( clutch set up ) I am unsure what rate the springs are or what the roller weight is, I would appreciate any help you guys could give me. Thanks By the way here is a pic of the quad.

Nichols Atvs
04-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Malossi red 2000 torsion spring . Mallossi or koso 2000 small clutch spring . 4.8 rollers 787 belt . Will get you started .Id all so email corey he my know the quad and tell you what he did to it.

RapKor
04-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the info, It seems like this bike has to make big RPM's for the clutch to engage, is that normal?

Nichols Atvs
04-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes it does if you want it to com in sooner then go down to the malossi yellow1500 torsion . If i remember correctly you were racing if thats the case ,I suggest my first post and tune from there the biggest thing your looking for is full belt travel . mark your front variator with a marker to see how far the belt is coming to the top . Cory should have had it pretty close you may need to just replace what you have. they could all be week and just need replacement.

RapKor
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks I will check the belt for full travel. I appreciate your help

Logan #34's Dad
04-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Just replace what is in it with the same new stuff. I'd start with the big torque spring - that's what it sounds like to me. While you have it apart, inspect the rollers and make sure they are in good condition, see what the weight is and replace with the same weight. Then replace the belt with the same one. Hopefully the person you bought it from had it close.

RapKor
04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Ok pulled the cover and checked the clutch, belt is riding all the way up on the driven clutch although there seems to be a lot of play in the belt ( I am an avid snowmobiler and the belt seems to have a lot more slak then my sled) how do I measure the deflection on these belts? Can I adjust the deflection? How much slack shoul there be? I am thinking that the spring has maybe sacked out, is there a way to gauge this? I am really new to these clutches and machines so I really appreciate any help you guys can give, also can someone explain the procedure for changing the belt to me, pics would be a huge help.