PDA

View Full Version : Klaw XC, Razr, HD or GNCC?

MtnEX
04-29-2009, 05:57 AM
Hey fellas... maybe you guys can be of more help to an eastern woods rider like me...

I'm trying to settle down between these tires... not for my 400EX, but for my other two quads.

What do you guys think of these tires for woods?

I need good traction, good clean out of clay, plus excellent cornering for the front tires... and on one of them I need a front tire that steers really easy at the bars.

I like my HD rears, but they come at the price of being heavy, expensive, and on the faster wearing side... and I have no idea what the front tire's squared profile would be like since I dodged those for my 400EX and mix-matched.

Regular Razr's seem like a "safe" choice. But for some reason I'm thinking they didn't bite as well in leaf cover... Plus, on one set I need a 20x11-10 and the Razr is not 6 ply in that size I don't think.

The GNCC's look great but cost way more and look like they would wear FAST.

Klaw XC's seem to get great reviews and very long wear reports. But I have no idea what they are like now. They offer a light weight 6 ply set, even for 10" rears. But they don't look like they have very tall knobbies and I do not know what to think about the design of their front tire...

HELP!!!!
I want to order today or tomorrow.

hypersnyper6947
04-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Im not sure for the wear but my vote goes for the gncc's, i here nothing but good things about them and im pretty sure there lighter than the rest.

Honda#4
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Having experience with the HD's and I say in my opinion is the fronts suck terrible in mud so dont waste ur money on them, overall they have way to much bite in the corners and they felt just to rock hard for being a 6ply tire, they lasted quite a bit for me only good thing im gonna say about them. I tried to make them softer by running them with no air but that didnt even work so I ended up selling them cuz they started to make my clutch go.

I've heard good things about the GNCC fronts so I recommend them.

gpd005
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I would go with the GBC X-Rex's. Cheaper than all the tires listed and last a long time too!

coryatver
04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by gpd005
I would go with the GBC X-Rex's. Cheaper than all the tires listed and last a long time too!

It would be great if they came out with a regular razer version of a rear tire one that is sportier that you don't have to groove. I know they have the shredder style but those tires work horrible.

MtnEX
04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I was surprised to find myself "drifting" seriously with my HD's. I had no idea they got down to like 1 psi over the winter months. You sure couldn't see it.

I guess that would be great "if" you were to get a flat.

MtnEX
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
For the Kawi, about anything comes in the right size. I just need good traction and good front bite for cornering.

For the Polaris, my choices are narrowed because of the 10" rear rims. I could get whatever on Douglas rims, but I'm trying to talk myself out of that expense.

The tires for the Polaris need to steer easy up front and slide easy in the rear. This quad is a good 100 lbs heavier... ya know...

krt400ex
04-29-2009, 03:48 PM
im runnong klaw xcs on my bike in the back right now. i had razr's before. i love the razr's. they hooked up and cleaned out well and took forever to wear. excellent tire. they didnt have too much side bite though which allowed me to drift alot. even though they dont have much side bite, they are consistent and dont let go and then suddenly grab traction.

the klaws are great too. they dont wear much and they have much more side bite. i find that they lack in forward traction though. i reversed the tread to what they say is better for soft terrain riding...and i felt an improvement in traction on both soft and hard surface. they are a little inconsistent when you drifting though which i dont care for.

you cant go wrong with either of these tires, but my pick is the razr which i will be buying again once i am in need of new tires.

Gibson
04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
My gncc"s have lasted for a year and a half. i ride almost everyday too. I like them more than the others.

MtnEX
04-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
im runnong klaw xcs on my bike in the back right now. i had razr's before. i love the razr's. they hooked up and cleaned out well and took forever to wear. excellent tire. they didnt have too much side bite though which allowed me to drift alot. even though they dont have much side bite, they are consistent and dont let go and then suddenly grab traction.

the klaws are great too. they dont wear much and they have much more side bite. i find that they lack in forward traction though. i reversed the tread to what they say is better for soft terrain riding...and i felt an improvement in traction on both soft and hard surface. they are a little inconsistent when you drifting though which i dont care for.

you cant go wrong with either of these tires, but my pick is the razr which i will be buying again once i am in need of new tires.

Hummm...

So, for me looking at these two for my Polaris...

All 4 Klaws would be 6 ply...
The Razr fronts would be 6 ply and the rear 4 ply.

This quad is heavy and top heavy... and does not slide well now. The 22" rears grab and roll, so the quad gets tippy...

I'm going down to a 20"...

From what you say, it sounds like I should go with the Razr on this one, even though the rear would be 4 ply.

MtnEX
04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
My gncc"s have lasted for a year and a half. i ride almost everyday too. I like them more than the others.

Have you ever had Razrs or Klaws?

Gibson
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
i've rode several quads with razrs and klaws and they didnt hook up as good as my GNCC's.

04-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
This quad is heavy and top heavy... and does not slide well now.

tuck that knee in and hang off the side lol I once got down so far and tucked in my knee was between the engine and frame in front of the exhaust good thing for tough pants

MtnEX
04-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
i've rode several quads with razrs and klaws and they didnt hook up as good as my GNCC's.

I'm really thinking HARD about them for my 450.
Really still trying to decide though...

Gibson
04-29-2009, 08:49 PM
They're extremely good tires. They'll hold up to anything you throw at them. I've had mine for a year and a half and they're still at half tread. They've been rode on pavement quite a bit too. i think it's worth paying $316 for a set of tires that last that long

MtnEX
04-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
tuck that knee in and hang off the side lol I once got down so far and tucked in my knee was between the engine and frame in front of the exhaust good thing for tough pants

I was talking about my Polaris Sport 400.

Great quad, but it weighs about 100 lbs extra.

Couple that with a set of 23/22 Titan 489's and it want to grab and tip instead.

Great tires for traction, but not a lot of fun for sporting around. They should have put them on the 4x4 models only.

This one is getting Razr's all around!!!

BossHogg420
04-29-2009, 09:38 PM
rode on the gncc for 9 months just slashed my 2 rears.....good tire but not worth the price....just got 2 gbc xrex rears....wow.....half the price of gncc or razr II...wanna know the best part about them they are the same tire as the razr II made in the same place but a defferent logo and half the price .....rode mine 4 times now and i have absolutley no complants!

MtnEX
04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
rode on the gncc for 9 months just slashed my 2 rears.....good tire but not worth the price....just got 2 gbc xrex rears....wow.....half the price of gncc or razr II...wanna know the best part about them they are the same tire as the razr II made in the same place but a defferent logo and half the price .....rode mine 4 times now and i have absolutley no complants!

I like them but....

Where are you finding them at half the price???

BossHogg420
04-29-2009, 11:53 PM
http://gbctires.com/xrextires.htm

there website their 65 dollars a tire for a 20x11x9

MtnEX
04-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
http://gbctires.com/xrextires.htm

there website their 65 dollars a tire for a 20x11x9

Yeah, I remember those...

They are said to be a Razr 2 copy, but they are more like an improved Razr 2. They say they are not the same.... that they are lighter and the tread pattern is improved.

I'd like to have some, but can beat that deal easy buying Maxxis.... which I am going to do for the Polaris...

On the 450 I think I'll go with GNCC's or Klaws.

gpd005
04-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
It would be great if they came out with a regular razer version of a rear tire one that is sportier that you don't have to groove. I know they have the shredder style but those tires work horrible.

Should be here by mid-summer from what i'm hearing!

BossHogg420
04-30-2009, 10:46 PM
how can u get maxxis razr II cheaper than 65 a tire? and as far as being copies.....they're made at the same plant....ching sing or however u spell it makes both tires over in asia....

MtnEX
04-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Well dang... I never could decide...

I mean I literally just took it down to the wire to the last minute to still get $100 off through Rocky Mtn.... Actually ran over 1 minute 17 seconds Eastern Standard Time... but they are on mountain standard time...

I went with a set of Razr's for my Polaris.
Went down to 20x11-10 and 22x7-10.

These spec'd lighter... 11.5 (f) 14.3 (r)

In the end, I could not decide on the KFX...

In the end, I went with the GNCC's for a few reasons.... (even though they cost a lot more)

#1- If I don't like them, I thought they might be easier to re-sell.

#2- To correct the frame angle on mine, I needed to go up to a 22" front tire and stay with a 20" rear... this way I raise the front maybe 1/2" without touching anything.

I needed a tire that measures what the size says.

I hope the GNCC's run pretty spot-on with the sizing....
If so, I won't have to touch the preload at all.

krt400ex
05-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Hummm...

So, for me looking at these two for my Polaris...

All 4 Klaws would be 6 ply...
The Razr fronts would be 6 ply and the rear 4 ply.

This quad is heavy and top heavy... and does not slide well now. The 22" rears grab and roll, so the quad gets tippy...

I'm going down to a 20"...

From what you say, it sounds like I should go with the Razr on this one, even though the rear would be 4 ply.

i had 6 ply razrs on mine. since then i cant find them anymore which does bother me. im not sure that two plys really make that big of a difference though

BossHogg420
05-05-2009, 08:14 PM
they do in the desert