PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild is done now what?

monkeyballs
04-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Ok well I just put in a new piston, timing chain, hot cam port and polish.

Now I am all done and I want to drop it in my bike but I am not sure what I should do about oil.. Do I fill it up in advance some how? I put some in the head.. (cam) Then put some on the cylinder walls and put spetial asembly oil on the cam. Do I just slap the engine in the frame, fill the oil contaner up start it then rev it a little (breaking in) then shut it off then top the oil up?

And as for break in I have decided to go with the start it up go for a rip right away, going through all the gears up and down slowly never going more then 3/4 throttle for 10 min the go home let it cool down then change the oil check the oil filter go for one more rip this time going throuhg the gears faster for 10 min go home check the oil filter do the same but this time realy give it.. Sound good? Thank you every one

I CANT WAIT! Lets just hope this thing dont blow I did all that I could.. Any thing I should check b4 I start it up? Common mistakes..

brodzowski
04-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh Lord, I can't believe this thread hasn't blown up already with "how to break in your engine" tips. So many different theories and ways that people swear by that you're bound to get 800 different answers that all probably have some amount of validity. My advice on that is read read read and read some more about what break in procedure you want to use and once you decide what that is, don't stray from it. All you can do is learn from your mistakes should you choose to make one, so make a plan and stick to your guns. If it works, you're a winner. If it doesn't, dust yourself off and try again. Good luck!

matt14c
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
This has been talked about a hundred times if you do a search. There was one as new as maybe a week ago.

monkeyballs
04-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Ok well sry about the break in question it was midnight realy tired and im pretty much good 2 go. Ill take a look into that this after noon. But about the oil, what do I do? I dont want 2 screw it up.. Thanks

brodzowski
04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I didn't mean to make it sound like you shouldn't have asked. If I did, I apologize. I just know that everyone has their own "way" or procedure that they think is best so i think you'll get lots of different answers. Surprised noone's chimed in though. As for your oil, I've never done it myself so I don't have an answer for you because I've never done it, but I will be next winter. Perhaps I'll do a little searching and see what I find. I'll report back if I find anything worth mentioning.

brodzowski
04-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Best link for break in info for ME. This is what I used on my streetbike and it seems to have worked great so far. To me it made sense.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Still looking for your oil answer.

brodzowski
04-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Well I can't find anything related to the oil other than to not use synthetic of course and "oil" is only 3 letters so the search wont even let me include it. How retarded is that? Someone wants to search an oil change on this forum and they can't because it's not enough letters? DUMB. Supposed to search change? or lube? or what? Ridiculous in my opinion.

Anyway, I think you're right on in my opinion. I'd take it for that first spin like you said and then verify the oil level once it's sat before ride number 2. 1 of 2 things can happen. If you put the right amount of oil in, it's not going to be so low that it could cause damage to anything even if it does need topped off OR if it doesn't get any oil and it gets starved then something happened in the assembly procedure that's not allowing oil to pump which is extremely unlikely.

In my opinion, I say you're right on track and I'd "stick to your guns" like I said before. Sounds good to me.

nskukalek79
04-29-2009, 09:09 AM
if you type in oil* then it counts the * as a letter and you can search oil then.

and when i rebuilt my motor i just threw the motor in and added oil...i'd just let it idle for a bit so the oil has a chance to get threw the motor before you rev it up.

Honda#4
04-29-2009, 09:16 AM
I used the heat cycle break in with just the honda HP4 oil. Start the quad up and make sure to keep it around half throttle and above to properly break in the cam, give a few full throttle pushes once in a while but dont go hog wild on after you did that for about 5 minutes let the motor cool and do it again each time making sure theres proper oil in the tank. I did that around 6-8 times then I slightly rode it rode my yard to put alittle power to the cam. Make sure to jet the carb if its poping or backfires, and on start up you will see some smoke for a little bit and thats normal so thats ok.

Tip- Make sure to see if your gaskets properly sealed so you dont end up like me and have your base gasket not seal and end up taking the motor back apart.

Ryan'07400ex
04-29-2009, 02:35 PM
I babyed mine and I shouldn't have. Seems like mine doesn't have as much as other stockers broken in hard. :mad: