PDA

View Full Version : Burnt metal smell?

bansheemorphine
04-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I went out to practice a bit today and after about an hour of riding i could start to smell something similar to burning metal, like when your cutting something with a grinder. But when i stopped right after i smelled it i looked my bike all over and couldn't see anything that was extremely hot or smell it again untill i started riding again.

This motor has very little time on it and i run good oil and change it ever 2 rides at most. I couldn't see it being the motor because its not smoking and i cannot smell it out of the exhaust or at all when i am stopped. I couldn't see it being the clutch because it doesn't seem like its slipping and it seems to be shifting fine. Any ideas what it could be? i am stumped

Scro
04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Are your rear axle bearings making any noise? I would check those first.

bansheemorphine
04-28-2009, 08:05 PM
didn't hear any noise, they're not loose anyways, its a lonestar carrier i'll take the axle out and check them tho

MikeHenders
04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I have smelled this when riding I found out it was my pants touching the exhuast and it smelled like someone was welding don't ask me why it smells like that just check to see if anything is touching the exhaust.

Modifly
04-29-2009, 08:25 AM
i ha the same thing at it was my boots, not a metal smell mind just a buring smell.

Jshep450r
04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
this made me laugh because its happened to me..check your axle bearing carrier..happened to me twice...the exhaust thing can also happen to but ive noticed it when my axle bearings went...