PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the motor out

JRP
04-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey guys, well my motor grenaded and I need to pull my motor out and split the cases. I was just wondering how confusing is it to pull the motor out of the frame? Ive never done this before, or been inside a motor, just the external stuff. Usually we have a guy work on it for us, but I need to learn sooner or later and plus, i do not have the money to pay someone. Thanks a lot! Oh and btw, i have the complete service manual! Thanks

atveric132
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
its not hard just make sure you keep things organized and everything. the first time i pullled my motor out by myself i got zip lock bags and labled everything. if you have basic knowledge of everything and take your time you should be ok

diangelo#67
04-28-2009, 07:57 PM
zip lock bags, blue painters tape, sharpie maker

bag all parts and label
tag all electrical connections
tag also over under frame rails front of bike back of bike with tape on elec.
makes things alot easier when you don't have to think about it. this year I didn't need any markers at all, It gets easier

atveric132
04-29-2009, 07:01 AM
lol yea

Warnerade
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
pull the top end off first...it will make the engine a LOT easier to come out of the frame

diangelo#67
04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
oui!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warnerade
04-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Are you high?

I knew I should have banned you when I had the chance :D

diangelo#67
04-29-2009, 09:10 PM
ah, sp-ammit!:D

TWISTED
04-30-2009, 04:31 PM
You had better take that back to Pomey...... Trust me...

Warnerade
04-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by TWISTED
You had better take that back to Pomey...... Trust me... I take it you've never had to learn to do anything by yourself? pepper will be fine............ Trust me...

TWISTED
04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
I take it you've never had to learn to do anything by yourself? pepper will be fine............ Trust me...

Some people are gearheads, some aren't.... I'll leave it at that..... I know a couple things about the situation that you don't....

Warnerade
04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by TWISTED
Some people are gearheads, some aren't.... I'll leave it at that..... I know a couple things about the situation that you don't.... If you can change an axle, you can take off the top end and pull the motor out of the frame. it doesnt take a "gearhead" to do it. He also has my number, to call for any questions as i've done it millions of times. He has access to the site...and look at that, even a number to the amazing mechanic that has you under his right wing.

we're not talking about splitting cases here, were talking about taking the engine out.

I'll leave it at that.

TWISTED
04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Like I said before, I know things about the situation that you don't.... We use the same mechanic......

Warnerade
04-30-2009, 05:38 PM
shoot me a PM enlightening me to what the big secret is about why pepper cant do a simple engine pull. Please

Water Boy
04-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Here's what I read in the very first post: "Hey guys, well my motor grenaded and I need to pull my motor out and split the cases. I was just wondering how confusing is it to pull the motor out of the frame? Ive never done this before, or been inside a motor, just the external stuff.

I am seeing "split the cases"

I also know this mechanic and from what I hear Pepper should not attempt this project....

I see a member on here said pepper will be fine...Does he know pepper other than looking at a monitor and chatting with a keyboard?

If I may quote: "If you can change an axle, you can take off the top end and pull the motor out of the frame. it doesnt take a "gearhead" to do it. He also has my number, to call for any questions as i've done it millions of times. He has access to the site...and look at that, even a number to the amazing mechanic that has you under his right wing.

we're not talking about splitting cases here, were talking about taking the engine out.

I'll leave it at that."

Little difference between an axle and splitting cases...Or even pulling a head off....Sure ANYONE can pull a motor out but remember, it has to go back in and run..

04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Taking the engine outs simple. I did it at least 30 times. 1st time was age 15 by my self took it out of a 400ex and it was simple. Its like a puzzle. Once you have it out it will only mount back in one way.

Warnerade
04-30-2009, 06:19 PM
I guess I'll just start telling everyone to take it to a mechanic when they make a post asking how to do it themselves...:rolleyes:

whats pomeys number? I need a new clutch

Water Boy
04-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I guess I'll just start telling everyone to take it to a mechanic when they make a post asking how to do it themselves...:rolleyes:

whats pomeys number? I need a new clutch

Hot shot 21 year old mechanic like yourself shouldn't have any trouble with a clutch..

Some people are better off taking it to a mechanic...

Warnerade
04-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Water Boy
Hot shot 21 year old mechanic like yourself shouldn't have any trouble with a clutch..

Some people are better off taking it to a mechanic... Neither would pepper. Dispite the majority of my posts calling pepper a moron...he has the ability to take an engine out.

be sure to give him a few other mechanics names, he might need someone to change his tires before his next race...

pepper, call me if you got any questions

Water Boy
04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Neither would pepper. Dispite the majority of my posts calling pepper a moron...he has the ability to take an engine out.

be sure to give him a few other mechanics names, he might need someone to change his tires before his next race...

Bet he's never changed a tire....Ask him when he calls.

TWISTED
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Neither would pepper. Dispite the majority of my posts calling pepper a moron...he has the ability to take an engine out.

If you only knew........

JRP
04-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, why is everyone trying to say i cannot do it? No one knows all the stuff ive done to my quad. It's hard for me to work on my quads when I have my dad staring at my neck telling me to "take it to a mechanic"... He feels safer for an actual mechanic to work on it than me or him. .But im 18 now and i haveto learn someday, even if its the hard way. I would think more people would be supportive and say that I can do it, and not say, maybe you can't even change a tire, or "if you only knew". Im kind of interested in what you guys know? Because I have NO IDEA! Yes dave does ALL my work, he has showed me somethings, and now I do them, but yes he primarily does all the work. What else is there to know?

04-30-2009, 07:25 PM

Some people are better off taking it to a mechanic...

Mechanics around here at shops are stupid. Last time I was at one a mechanic was telling some guy about jetting his dirt bike and was saying what jet is what at what throttle and he had it all mixed up.

Then one time one tightened my head studs to tight making the top end leak oil.

Another time one stole my number plate.

Another time one of them rolled my quad on their test track because my plastic had stress marks and I could see one scoop had been bent back in place.

Then one was telling me how by taking the spark arrester out of my muffler would wreck my engine because I "need" back pressure.

Then one replaced my light bulb with a burnt out one just so they could make a extra $12.

And every single time they have scratched my plastic up and nicked up the frame. :mad:

LTR450_#67
04-30-2009, 08:13 PM
I like to work my on my own **** cuz that way I have nobody to blame but myself.....and it's cheaper. The way I do it is I drain the coolant + oil, remove the cam chain tensioner, take out the cams, strip everything off the sides in the frame.....Clutch assembly, counterbalancer, oil pumps, flywheel, primary drive nut+gear ( That nut is reverse thread BTW), shifting mechanism and other chit. Then I pull the head off.........oh I have a manual too...nice and handy!!......There are more details to what I have just typed but I'm to tired and am getting ready to go to the Walnut National...My first national.....it should be a good experience!

Later
Aaron

JRP
05-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Well im almost done! Got a few more bolts and it should be comming out! I need a little help and my dads almost home so he will be able to help me with that! Everything is labeled and tagged and photos were taken! I feel like i know where everything is, overall it was pretty easy! Just wanna say thanks to shawn, he helped me out a ton, but i will prob have a few more questions so expecta few more phone calls dude! hahah Thanks again!

JRP
05-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Motor is out! Took a little over 2hrs for my first time, and help from my dad too. Once we got down to just the motor, my dad put a bolt back in that holds the oil line in, and when we were pulling it out, it got caught on the frame rail, like in a bind. So we finally got it out and now its sitting downstairs. Debating wether or not to split cases or not, cuz if we did, i wouldn't even kno wwhat to be looking for lol. But I labeled all the lines and hoses, and tons of baggies with painters tape(thanks mario). A big thanks to shawn aka warnerade for spending valuable time with me on the phone yesterday lol. Thanks bud

JRP
05-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Motor is out! Took a little over 2hrs for my first time, and help from my dad too. Once we got down to just the motor, my dad put a bolt back in that holds the oil line in, and when we were pulling it out, it got caught on the frame rail, like in a bind. So we finally got it out and now its sitting downstairs. Debating wether or not to split cases or not, cuz if we did, i wouldn't even kno wwhat to be looking for lol. But I labeled all the lines and hoses, and tons of baggies with painters tape(thanks mario). A big thanks to shawn aka warnerade for spending valuable time with me on the phone yesterday lol. Thanks bud

Warnerade
05-02-2009, 10:54 AM
you clearly should have taken it to pomey....

Water Boy
05-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Now remember it's got to go back in...and run...Go ahead and split the cases...May be cheaper than the quote you got from Extreme Powersports....Should have got a quote from Mr. Kool Ade on splitting the cases...I'm sure he's done it a million times..

TWISTED
05-02-2009, 02:34 PM
you clearly should have taken it to pomey....

He will......

JRP
05-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Now remember it's got to go back in...and run...Go ahead and split the cases...May be cheaper than the quote you got from Extreme Powersports....Should have got a quote from Mr. Kool Ade on splitting the cases...I'm sure he's done it a million times..

Why do you kno weverything i do lol, its starting to freak me out. But im not going to split the cases myself. I know someone who just graduated from MMI and he is now a certified suzuki mechanic. I MIGHT have him look, but i will probably take it to dave. I don't see the big ****in deal on me letting dave do my work. Why do you guys care so much? But with me putting the motor back in, its gonna be fine, we have all the cables and hoses marked and i have the page # for each hose, cable and wire marked on the tape also.

madskrillz2
05-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Pepper I'm pretty much in the same boat as you so it's good to see it's not as big a deal as I thought. I doubt I'll be splitting the cases though. We'll just have to see how everything goes.

05-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Takes me 5-10 mins max with all tools in hand to get a engine in/out not including the time for the oil/water out time. Take out 9-10 bolts and the engines out. 6 front mount bolts, 2 bottom engine bolts, 1 swing arm bolt, normaly a head stay bolt & disconnect the elec and oil, gas & rad hoses. 450cc engines only 65 lbs so I grab by the kick start and water spicket normaly and pull/put the engine in/out the frame side ways.

Dupontster
05-03-2009, 10:39 PM
5-10 minutes my a**.lol. with the FI and all the connections it will definetly take more than 10 min...

05-04-2009, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Dupontster
5-10 minutes my a**.lol. with the FI and all the connections it will definetly take more than 10 min...

Well Im talking about a hybrid. It only takes minutes. Turn the gas off. Disconnect and drain the oil/water. Pull the carb off. 2 header bolts, 6 front mount bolts, 2 lower engine bolts, swing arm bolt, and I have no head stay bolt because if I had it I would need to remove the plastic and gas tank to remove it and that would add at least another 5mins. If you do it a few times it can be done fast kinda like how nascar change tires vs normal people rotating tires.

TWISTED
05-04-2009, 07:24 AM

I was thinking that myself.... i watched Ryan Cox and Paul Turner pull an engine out of Gust's LTR and swap it out with another, and it took them a bit longer than 5-10 to get the engine out, and we're talking about two of the BEST factory mechanics out there.......

JRP
05-04-2009, 09:07 AM

haha yeah, way more than 10min. Especially for first time. There were a lot of connections, but i tagged and took pics of them all, so hopefully it wont be to bad going back together!

Warnerade
05-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by factory2
Well Im talking about a hybrid. It only takes minutes. Turn the gas off. Disconnect and drain the oil/water. Pull the carb off. 2 header bolts, 6 front mount bolts, 2 lower engine bolts, swing arm bolt, and I have no head stay bolt because if I had it I would need to remove the plastic and gas tank to remove it and that would add at least another 5mins. If you do it a few times it can be done fast kinda like how nascar change tires vs normal people rotating tires. impressive

FHKracingZ
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
5-10 minutes my *****. It takes atleast 3-4 minutes alone for fluids to drain..