PDA

View Full Version : received BRP racers package..now what??

craigmacphee
04-28-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a 2009 ds450x MX. I just received my BRP racers package today. In the package was a motoworks slip on exhaust, racers ECM, grill louver, battery box, and stickers. Missing were the suspension plates, and mounting hardware.

My initial question is "do the 09 MX's already have the upgraded suspension plates?" My dealer had no idea about any of this.

I called my dealer beacuse it said in the directions I have to have a budds system to flash the ECM. I had no idea what that meant. So, I called the dealer to see what they knew or could help me with. I heard the service mgr. ask the tech about this. The techs reply was "F*ck if I know, I've never did one before." Unprofessional as all get out, but I thought, fair enough. At least he was honest. But....If I am supposed to be promoting Can-Am's product, and have my third race on this machine this weekend, I still do not have the racing upgrades, and my dealer cannot help me, where do I turn from here? I called BRP in Canada, taled to Jeff in their racing dept., and he very politely told me I had to go through my dealer.

It has became painfully obvious that since the sale of this machine the dealer has pretty much washed his hands of me. Without going in to great detail, I am tired of calling to get put on hold for 10+ minutes, getting told they will call me back by the end of the day...only to not hear back from them until I call again, Or hearing...he's not here right now, I'll have him call you. Only to never hear back from them until I call them 2 days later. So, again, any suggestions? I am not an impatient person. I hate psycho dialers and never blow anyone's phone up with questions just for that reason. But, what else can I do?

For starts, can I install the motoworks slip on exhaust without the racing ECM as long as I have the pink wire cut? I want to make this thing breath! Can I buy a K and N filter and see any results without the racing ECM or a larger intake? I do not want to run into a lean situation but I do not want to keep getting smoked off the line, only to have to play catch up later.

Please help with your suggestions either in private or public. Thanks in advance, Craig

ltr311
04-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Pink wire, slip on and k@n filter will work fine together. Id just order a drop in k&n filter until something better is proven. Ill be doing some testing on the dyno soon.

Good luck with your dealer. Most seem to be the same way. Problem is most dealers have only sold a handful if any ds's and have no experience with them.

craigmacphee
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
LTR...I see you are in Boise. I worked out there last year and bought (3) Yamaha Raptor's from Desert Mountain Motorsports in Mountain Home while I was there. I wish I could get another job out there for the summer. What an awesome place!

Thanks for your response on my issues. I'd love to swap some further notes with you sometime. We've got a dyno at our disposal and would love to try different combinations to gain some good HP.

Craig

Blizzard24
04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
The plates are already on the 09 MX model, you received what you were supposed to have gotten, the 09's all come w the twin row bearing carrier, the antivibe coil mounts and the suspension plates.

coryatver
04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Any other can am dealers around?

Also show up in person and politely tell them exactly what you told us. You are a racer and you are trying to promote can am and them and you need some help and I think they will help you out

Blizzard24
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
As for flashing the new ECU... all your dealer has to do is hook up the old ECU and store the settings on it, then transfer it to the new ECU/ My dealer did it while I stood there watching. The directions that came w the package steps them through it. The will need to send the old ECU back or you may be responsible for paying Can Am for the ECU, not sure how that would work, but Can Am wants your old ECU.

TNT
04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I’m not sure what flash the ECU means either, all I can think of is there is a ‘wake up” circuit to the ECU that every time you turn the key on activates it so it can read parameters. Maybe the flash is an initiation to BUDDs? I’d plug it in and see if it runs, if not go to the dealer and have them hook it up to BUDDS, just power to it wake it up. To the best of my knowledge all the race ECU is no limp mode. Your fortunate to have a second ECU, they cost $6-700…..You can also purchase an ECU tool through the dealer that allows your to probe it with a multi-meter I purchased so I can diagnose the EFI at the track.

What Blizzard said is true…..

Put the slip on, run the foam filer, pink cut, race ecm if it works or stock is fine, go give it a run, watch the fan if it’s lean it will come on often. The stock pipe was very, very, restrictive, Motoworks if anything should richen it especially with thin air where you live…..The EFI can compensate well. You can always pull the plugs and see for yourself.

Go run your class and see how you do, torque and hp…..From there to make it”breath” start considering a port, TB upgrade, bigger injector(green), HC piston….This quad actually has a lot of air, big valves, etc…..The TB, injector, piston I think is available to you at a discount maybe? By then maybe some of the better filter/intake tube products will be available.

TNT
04-28-2009, 06:17 PM
lol! Me and Blizzard posted at the same time mine came in late...he knows more about the flash/ecu...what he said! :D

Hey I was close anyway. :cool:

Oh yes now I remember each ECU has a history that can be transfered, things like Diagnostic codes, etc, all kinds of history on the quad.....I think that is what Blizzard is referring to.

craigmacphee
04-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the parts and letting me know I got what I was supposed to.

Cory: I would gladly go to the dealer each time but I live in the thumb of Michigan )BFE) and the dealer is 1 hour and 45 minutes away. My time is worth something. However, I will be loading it up tomorrow and going there in person. No doubt about it. SEE BELOW.

I attempted to install my new Motoworks exhaust that BRP sent me tonight. Tore the old one out as directed, installed the factory mounting hardware, attempted to install the new slip on, and NO GO! It does not fit. Here are the dimensions of the pieces in question at the fitting ends:

Stock header pipe: O.D. 1.637
I.D. 1.514

Can Am slip on: O.D. 1.936
I.D. 1.619

Motoworks slip on: O.D. 1.701
I.D. 1.633

All I can say is the measurements of the slip on ends are extremely different. I cannot get the Motoworks slip on to fit over or fit inside the header pipe. The closest configuration would be to put the Motoworks over the stock header pipe. In doing this I would be trying to fit a 1.633 I.D. slip on over a 1.637 O.D. header pipe. Even with a little spit, it won't fit. (adding a little humor here...) So now, what do I do? Has anyone else had this problem? I am adding some pictures so you guys don't think I am completely stupid.

I am EXTREMELY frustrated with this thing and this whole racers program. If I go to my dealer and tell them I am trying to promote Can Am, I honestly don't think he will care. What does he have to lose at this point? He sells Can-am, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, and he has his money from me.

Does anyone know of any "not so busy" can am dealers in Michigan?

ratsracung6
04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Is the race ECM the same as the ECU? They told us to send the
ECU to them to get the limp mode taken off, The support program
says you get a race ECM with it. Confused!!!

craigmacphee
04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Here is the joint with the new motoworks slip on.... It does not fit on the stock header!

Was I supposed to get a motoworks header too, or was the motoworks slip on supposed to fit the stock header?

Blizzard24
04-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by TNT
I’m not sure what flash the ECU means either, all I can think of is there is a ‘wake up” circuit to the ECU that every time you turn the key on activates it so it can read parameters. Maybe the flash is an initiation to BUDDs? I’d plug it in and see if it runs, if not go to the dealer and have them hook it up to BUDDS, just power to it wake it up. To the best of my knowledge all the race ECU is no limp mode. Your fortunate to have a second ECU, they cost $6-700…..You can also purchase an ECU tool through the dealer that allows your to probe it with a multi-meter I purchased so I can diagnose the EFI at the track.

The new ECU needs the Open/Closed throttle position from the old ECU, the ECU is specifically for that bike and the parameters that were set for that bike so the new ECU needs that info or it wont be right.

No dice on the extra ECU, it needs to go back to Can Am. Basically when you install the new parts you are making the bike strictly a closed course bike. It will no longer pass the Green Sticker Emissions for California and other EPA rules.

blaster99
04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
i had the hardest time getting the pipe to fit on. i believe it slips over. You have to get it lined up absolutely perfect for it to go on, it took me a good 20 min.

craigmacphee
04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Are you sure that is the case? I can't see how it can. The diameter is too small to fit over the header... should I take it to a muffler shop and have it flared? If you are absolutely sure it will fit, I will do whatever it takes to make it work. Also, did you use the clamp or did you get away without it? Thanks, Craig

TNT
04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by craigmacphee
Here is the joint with the new motoworks slip on.... It does not fit on the stock header!

Was I supposed to get a motoworks header too, or was the motoworks slip on supposed to fit the stock header?

Graig call Motoworks tomorrow ask for Johney, he seems like a nice helpfull guy tell him about your dilemma, I am sure he will do every thing they can to solve it.

blaster99
04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
maybe your pipe is a little smaller than mine. I did not use the clamp.

TNT
04-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Oh and BTW I bet you run the no limp ECU now try it and just go get the history download later.

TNT
04-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ratsracung6
Is the race ECM the same as the ECU? They told us to send the
ECU to them to get the limp mode taken off, The support program
says you get a race ECM with it. Confused!!!

Yes the terms module and unit are interchangeable in the IT world, you send the thing on your tank "the brain" ...:D

craigmacphee
04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I have sent johnny a pm, and will call in the morning. I just had a long hot tub soak with the wife...after paying some attention to her :) , I had time to think about worst case scenerio to get me going for this weekend. If I have to, I will cut a little slice, open it up a bit, and clamp it.

florentino
04-28-2009, 11:14 PM

i think i know whats up.. ok motoworks has 2 types of exaust full and slip on ... now on the full system its not the same .. so maybe you got the full system rear piece and that does not fit on a stock front pipe.

craigmacphee
04-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Now that would really stink...unless they send me the rest of the pipe! :)

lynxmann
04-29-2009, 03:08 AM
The reason you need to hook up to the Buds system when changing ECU is to reset the TPS(throttle position sensor)

To do this your dealer take off the throttle wire and screws out the idle screw so the throttle valve i fully closed.

Then he hooks up the buds system and reset the tps.

There are also some other vehicle info in the ECU that is normally transfered.

TNT
04-29-2009, 06:36 AM
He's right, the ECU will more than likely have to be calibrated to the TPS reason being is it calculates fuel delivery based on throttle position, 10% increments, reads sensor parameters based on TP, makes the calculation based on a matrix table of 800 values I think it is. The AAPTSensor in the intake and the MAP sensor in the TB consider all qualities and quantities of air, humidity, barometric pressure, density, temperature and ambient-barometric-MAP pressure differentials, combines that data with some gas constants for dry and humid air and sends a value to the ECM. When you get your PC3 it has 10% tunning while PC5 I hear has 5%. Quite interesting and probably more than poor ol Craig wants to know right now, but just so you know other systems use MAP, not TP…..but here's something my dealer's mechanic told me is that BUDDs has the capability to make adjustments for altitude so when you get your pipe on if your running lean you may be able to tune a little on BUDDS while your hooked up. I doubt you will w/ a slip on and pink cut.

Just curious Blizzard did you take your quad in and get the TPS calibrated? The manual says anytime you remove or move it all the recalibrate has to be done, but one guy from the UK said he's removed it several times without going back to BUDDS. I'm just wondering how sensitive this setting really is, there has to me some tolerance? I know ours fired right up after being removed. I think PC3 can reset it too.

lynxmann
04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
No need to recalibrate if you unplug the ECU only if you change it or if you replace the TPS.

It will usually always start even if you dont do the recalibration but the performance can be lacking but i have tried just swapping and the engine have felt just as strong as before.
Worst case your running lean and blow up your motor.

TNT what your dealer is talking about is a high altitude map that can be downloaded but it will make the engine leaner,there is unfortunatly no way to add fuel.

craigmacphee
04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
I just got off the phone with Johnny from Motoworks. We talked about the fact that BRP may have sent me the motoworks slip on for the complete motoworks exhaust rather than the slip on for the factory header pipe. Rather than messing around, he said he is going to send me one he knows for sure will fit. The best news is that it will be here tomorrow. How can I argue with that kind of customer service? He and Motoworks definitely have my racer approval. Craig

Blizzard24
04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by TNT

Just curious Blizzard did you take your quad in and get the TPS calibrated? The manual says anytime you remove or move it all the recalibrate has to be done, but one guy from the UK said he's removed it several times without going back to BUDDS. I'm just wondering how sensitive this setting really is, there has to me some tolerance? I know ours fired right up after being removed. I think PC3 can reset it too.

Terry, The manual that came w the racer package stated I needed to have the dealer take the Open/Closed throttle position information off of the original ECU and store these settings on the new ECU.
That was all that was needed, I did not remove the TPS itself but I would imagine if you did move the TPS at all it would need to be recalibrated. I know the TPS on the YFZ was super sensitive but not sure with this system.

TNT
04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
Terry, The manual that came w the racer package stated I needed to have the dealer take the Open/Closed throttle position information off of the original ECU and store these settings on the new ECU.
That was all that was needed, I did not remove the TPS itself but I would imagine if you did move the TPS at all it would need to be recalibrated. I know the TPS on the YFZ was super sensitive but not sure with this system.

So Craig there's your answer you just take the race ECU and old ECU to the dealer and they do the flash. Don't need your quad or to mess with the TB or butterfly valve. Makes sense the same values on the old ECU should work on the new one. Good luck racin this weekend. Lets us know how it went.

Blizzard24
04-30-2009, 04:23 AM
Actually, you do need to bring the bike with you. It needs to power up the old and new ECU. Take the old ECU off and install the new ECU, bring the old ECU and your bike w the new ECU on it and they plug the old ECU in to the bike, get the parameters saved onto the BUDS system, then disconnect and connect the new ECU, trasfer the files and you are done.

craigmacphee
04-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Well guys, today I came home from some errands and saw I had (2) boxes at my house from UPS. This was at 11am. I was thinking "holy wah" that was fast. It was like a kid at Christmas. When I opened them up, the first box had the slip on as promised. I was thinking...SWEET! Now I can get this baby ready for the race on saturday. When I opened the other box, it had a Motoworks T-shirt, a hat, and their COMPLETE exhaust system. I was scratching my head and dazed and confused. When it set in what I had received, I was ecstatic. But then I thought it must have been a mistake. I told my wife it was only right I called Johnny back and told him. So after some contemplating, I did the right thing and made the call. I told Johnny that I received the slip on he promised to next day air to me and thanked him. Then he added, you should have gotten another box with our full exhaust, hat, and a t-shirt. When I clarified that it was not a mistake, his words to me was that was Motoworks way of taking care of their customers. WOW! I did the right thing and called him back, only to find out it was not a mistake but a HUGE gesture from him.

So, thanks to Johnny and Motoworks! This kind of customer service is unheard of in todays world and they went above and beyond.

Craig

ratsracung6
04-30-2009, 02:15 PM
That is AWESOME!!!!

iceracer17
04-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Did you order any of the other parts for 75% off? I got approved for the program but am wondering if the shocks are 09 specs or something else.
I am actually thinking of getting all the parts listed for that kind of price.
I am buying a 08' X FOR 5700 + Tax thinking it's a good deal.

coryatver
04-30-2009, 04:58 PM

So, thanks to Johnny and Motoworks! This kind of customer service is unheard of in todays world and they went above and beyond.

Craig

wow that is awesome. I will keep this in mind for future exhaust purchases!

blaster99
04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
wow that's awesome! I will definitely keep that in mind next time I'm pipe shopping.

craigmacphee
04-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I did not order any of their 75% off parts because the 09 ds450x MX comes with them stock. I can tell you this is one built quad from the factory.

Yes, I have one slip on exhaust and one complete exhaust system.

You are absolutely right. Motoworks is on my "TO BUY" list in the future. I have two boys coming up that have (2) KTM 50's, and (1) KTM 65 bikes, a wife with a 250 Raptor and an 800 Sportsman, and I have this DS450 and a Raptor 700. Other than being broke now...LOL, we will definitely have some upgrades to do in the future!

Johnny assured me the complete Motoworks exhaust package will make more power than the factory header and Motoworks Slip on. So, my wife and I just got done with the install. It looks sweet as hell!

I will definitely put up some pics when I am done with everything. I am having a bugger of a time figuring out what parts to cut for the grill louver. I am going to check out some of you other guys pics to see if I can get a good look and figure it out. If anyone has any close up pics of your louver installed, I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet! Your choice of flavor! :)

Thanks again for all of the moral support, suggestions, and a listening ear. Craig

craigmacphee
04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
btw...$5700 sounds like a decent deal OTD for an 08. FYI..my 09 was $8000 otd and I got a $1,000 gift card from BRP and the racer parts. plus 15% off everything with my first purchase. In negotiations I threw the $8,000 out there a little premature and the GM jumped on it so I am not sure if there is still more to squeeze or not. I just didn't feel like messing with it further. It seemed fair to me and I know the salesman needs to eat too.

Craig

cf3go
05-01-2009, 07:52 AM
iceracer17, I picked up my 08 ds450x for 4,999 + tax 6 months ago. I dont know where u are located in WI but I got mine from Don and Roys Motorsports in Waukesha WI. You could try calling them to see if they have any left.

iceracer17
05-01-2009, 01:10 PM
thanks. I'll try them

nate450x
05-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Craig i sent you a PM.