PDA

View Full Version : Really torn on tires . . . . .

SPDSNYPR
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
I have the money (shockingly) for new tires, but am really torn on what I should get.

Mostly trails, maybe an XC race here and there in the "I suck" division. I do play on the MX track every few weeks. All seem to have similar ratings at RMATV.

-Duro DI2011 Sport
-ITP Holeshot
-Kenda Knarly XC
-Maxxis Razr

I think I'm going to get a set of the Duro's to go on the back of my son's 250ex to get rid of those balloons (just because they're inexpensive and have a decent rating). But I'm torn on what I should get for my 400. Pros/cons of each. They all seem to be similar designs and are comparable in price.

Help a brother out. I'll post a poll if I can figure out how.

04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I like ITP except for the fact that they seem to wear quicker. Razrs seem to last pretty long and I like their predictability. Only Kendas I have tried were worn out and the tires would just spin all the time so no real results. Duro I have yet to try.

richards
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I've been really happy with my Knarlys for trail riding - they work good around here on the clay/rocks/roots/mud.

rob_990
04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by richards
I've been really happy with my Knarlys for trail riding - they work good around here on the clay/rocks/roots/mud.

x2 and they last forever

AZ440ex
04-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by rob_990
x2 and they last forever

They do last forever, even here in the desert with nasty rocks. They are pretty reasonably priced too. After my current set finally gives up I am going to try the KLAW XC. I run the Klaw mx sticky and love them on the track.

SPDSNYPR
04-29-2009, 02:46 AM
The Razrs seem to be ruling the poll, but the responses seem to lean toward the Kendas. Odd.

Any of the Razr-ites have comments you would like to add as to why you think they are the better choice?

mitchamus
04-29-2009, 05:52 AM
I would go with ITP GNCC i think they weigh less than the maxxis razr giving you less unsprung weight . i have the gncc and like them alot. A couple of my buddies went with the holeshot SR and they like them alot but i think the SR are only 4 ply.

Snipe
04-29-2009, 10:30 AM
AMS tires makes a tire as well that looks Identical to the Razr 2 tires. Im currently running them hopeing the rubber is a of a decent compound and it will last awhile and not just run off into a racing slick.

As far as what I know the ITP holeshots are a good tire but from what I have seen the Razr's will outlast them if your running trails of any kind save the money in the long run get 6ply's!

I have never run the kenda rear's but I really like the Kenda front tires

SPDSNYPR
04-29-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm going to go with the dark side of the force here and follow the poll. Razr's it'll be. And the Duro's for the kid's quad. Thanks.

buck440
04-30-2009, 07:14 PM
yoy know you wanna

SPDSNYPR
05-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Well I got the Duro's for the kid's quad, but RMATV is out of stock on the Razr's. So I wait . . . .

IcutMetl
05-01-2009, 07:21 PM
I'll tell you my story on tires here...

My previous quad was a 400ex with the normal add-ons. I ordered 20x11x10 ITP Holeshot XCR for the rear as soon as they came out, and 21" Holeshots for the fronts; all on Douglas .190's. I was very impressed; offset rims handled better, tires slid well, spun when I wanted them to, and seemed to have just the right amount of hookup w/o being too "mud & slop" oriented.

When I got my 250r, I was going to try something different. I was strongly considering Kenda Klaw XC's after reading the reviews, the price, and they look pretty cool. Thought well, I'll save some money and throw these on my stock rims.

Then......the "ahhh...what the funk" bug bit me and I decided to do buy the Maxis Razr 2's all around on .190's again. My buddy had Razr 1's on his Warrior. 4wheeler sucked, but the tires did well, and I liked the chunkiness of the 2's.

I actually think I like these better than my Holeshots on the 400ex...same size, but these are a lot heavier duty feeling, and do a lot better in the slick stuff. They don't seem to slide quite as free, but still very controllable, and hook up very very well. They dig and roost a lot better. They handle a lot better, hold a line well, and corner like a dream.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's my opinion. I'm sold on Razr2's.