PDA

View Full Version : 2009 YFZ450R Ride Reviews

DBF1972
04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
All,

I need some input from someone who owns a '09 YFZ450R. I am considering buying one, but I am lost with some of the mixed threads on the web-site here. Sorry guys, but I figured I would start a new thread. Thanks.

1. How is the quad holding up racing mx?
2. Can you achieve any extra width using different offset aftermarket wheels? Or the GYTR wheel package(s)?
3. What steering stab. would you recommend?
4. How does is handle on the track?
5. For Vet B class level, is the suspension & "A" arms sufficent for the rider?
6. Whats a good price?

BTW - I am considering a KTM450SX also, but I already know that quad is awesome from first hand & reading the test. Trying to justify the $$$, but I guess in the long run, it would be better right?

Thanks...

Franklin999
04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
This is true the KTM is very nice but for the money the 450R is a great buy. i have one and it rides great on the track my friend has a fully built can am exept for the motor, i ride his and he rides my 450R and they are very close. the suspension on the 450R is great yamaha did there work slap on some nerfs and 18's in the back its ready to race and can win races. thats just my opinion on it...

DBF1972
04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks a lot for the reply! I think I may be leaning towards the YFZ450R. I appreciate it. Good luck with yours.

quadrider1299
04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
amazing pretty much sums it up

Franklin999
04-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah no problem its the way to go man...

400grl
04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by DBF1972
All,

I need some input from someone who owns a '09 YFZ450R. I am considering buying one, but I am lost with some of the mixed threads on the web-site here. Sorry guys, but I figured I would start a new thread. Thanks.

1. How is the quad holding up racing mx?
2. Can you achieve any extra width using different offset aftermarket wheels? Or the GYTR wheel package(s)?
3. What steering stab. would you recommend?
4. How does is handle on the track?
5. For Vet B class level, is the suspension & "A" arms sufficent for the rider?
6. Whats a good price?

BTW - I am considering a KTM450SX also, but I already know that quad is awesome from first hand & reading the test. Trying to justify the $$$, but I guess in the long run, it would be better right?

Thanks...

To answer your concerns......
1. - It's holding up great - I have been racing / practicing about every week with mine, and the only issue I have had is a rear fender mount that broke off. So far, it's been a trooper!

2. Yes, you can achieve either extra width, or not quite as wide - depending on what you are looking for. IMO, no need to go any wider than it already is!

3. I'm running a GPR stabilizer and I love it. My hubby is running the Precision, and it's amazing as well. Either of these are better than the little shock ones, but even those will do if you are short on cash.

4. It was MADE for the track. I have been racing mine on the MX tracks since I bought it......it's better handling than my fully set up YFZ was (I have the 18" wheels on the back now), and it's easier to ride, so it doesn't get you as tired.....

5. It is VERY do-able to go out and win the Vet B class on this machine in stock form - if you don't, it won't be because the suspension limited you. It's EXTREMELY good suspension....I race A classes, and I have NO plans to put on aftermarket a-arms or shocks....they are working too good!

6. Good price?? Can't help you there.......but just because the KTM costs more doesn't mean it's a better machine. Yamaha does their homework, and def didn't disappoint.

DBF1972
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks Corry.....Great review!

Have fun and good luck with it.

Franklin999
04-30-2009, 03:45 PM
The Travel of the rear shock is 11 but not sure about the lenght and the width is 48.8 inches to be exact but i am gonna lower mine about 3/4 of an inch so i think it will make it a lil wider in the front.

Franklin999
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM
yes the front end is 49 and yeah no problem i can messure it tomorrow. not sure about the douglas wheels i am about to order hipers for the rear and i will know then how the width is in the rear....

woodside83
05-05-2009, 12:05 PM
i love it the harder you ride it the better it handles. i have a yfz completly mod. out kick start and the new heavier 450r feels lighter and better in the air and takein' corners. this thing carves. why it has not won on the national level i dont know. the efi is great first efi i have been , other than the cannandale and it just died one day on the track. i have 18s on mine and i think i was 49 front and 50 rear. just play with the shocks. it will work great for you.

Quadevil
05-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
but just because the KTM costs more doesn't mean it's a better machine. Yamaha does their homework, and def didn't disappoint.

I agree with what you said, except on this one. In this case, costing more means it's better. The SX is in a league of it's own and is starting to prove it around the world (Australia, UK, etc).

Next year, KTM will race in PRO MX in US and will make their point, just like they're are showing with the XC in GNCC.

Seed
05-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Ummmmm when you start talking the pro level its all rider. Dont compare these quads to who is winning the prolevel with one brand or the other cause you cant.

Quadevil
05-23-2009, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Seed
Ummmmm when you start talking the pro level its all rider. Dont compare these quads to who is winning the prolevel with one brand or the other cause you cant.

No man, it's not always the rider. It's always the quad+rider doesn't matter what level are you talkin about lol
There's one thing, it's the most important of them all and influentiates any level of competition: reliability.