PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

mity4
04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm trying to build my 525irs outlaw the right way but just don't know if the info that is being talked is right. Here's what I got Ct full pipe JD jet kit and pro design air filter with lid off. My buddy 08 yamaha wfz with slip on ac exhaust regular jets or off brand and an air filter that looks like kn but is not.Take all riding out of the eqation and hit it from about 10 mph and he pulls me pretty good. I hear how the outlaw is supposedly got all this power but I don't see it against other people. He has a 174 main jet 45 pilot and stock needle. I have 170 main jet red needle5th clip from top and large O-ring mod. It all feels good to me no sputtering or stalling or hard starts, just when the power should shine I feel like I'm getting pulled by alot less. All help is appreciated or suggestions.

somewon
04-27-2009, 10:59 PM
well does it feel like your loosing power on top or just power leveling out?

Are you running the motor all the way to the top or short-shifting (the better way) ?

since your going from a rolling start I'd say you could take wheel spin out of the equation, but do you have any tire related issues like wheeling?

are your shifts clean or notchy and slow?

keep in mind that the yfz is no slouch. one of my good riding buddies has one that I tuned for him and it all comes down to who gets the hole shot for us. Makes me wish I had put his jetting a little off. ;)

As far as your jetting I'm assuming you went off the JD specs for your alt?

mity4
04-27-2009, 11:25 PM
No wheel spin or wheeling were I have to let out and the shifts are quick and clean. I ride it the same way when both were stock and they were real close then.I could get the jump and within a gear he could make it up. I shift early same result late I do get some hisitation I don't know if I'm hitting a rev limiter or maybe the plug is getting weak. I'm doing a plug change and we will run again. I'm also thinking of going back down to the 165 jet. I just don't understand how the smaller motor would need the bigger jet since he's got a174 to my 170 and there the same carb.

fasterblaster02
04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Sounds like a fast Yfz or else yours isnt running right. I saw that CT claims 10 hp gain for the 450, not sure what the 525 claim is. Mine is stock, I raced my buddy's honda 450r with motoworks pipe, cam, filter, and jetted (stock gearing). He gets me by 1-2 lengths every time(rolling start), until we hit top speed, and his is a little faster. what i learned racing him is to shift very quick. I never noticed it falling off in the high rpms until i raced him, when i was at half throttle or a little more he would fly past me so i had to keep it in the lower rpms and it impressed me how close it ran to a modded 450r, with mine weighing 40lbs more and having more driveline power loss. I think with a pipe i can beat him handily. just my 2 cents.

SSJEFF
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
170 sounds very rich IMO. What is you A/F reading? thats probably why. Are you short shifting? that would be another reason why.

Want to really smoke him. My head is ported and polished with an 8/06 cam. WOW is all i can say after my race Sunday.

The only way to tune right is to get some sort of reading. just listening to people online isn't going to do it for what jet, needle position, screw postition. The Accelerator pump is also tunable.

I would invest in getting it dyno tuned by someone who knows what they are doing and practicing drag racing while shifting at different points to see when the fastest shift point is.

sheriff525
04-29-2009, 12:12 AM
I know you said your quad starts easy but check your valves. My brothers did exactly what your talking about too and we readjusted the valves and he was back to riping it up again.
BTW 8000rpm is the sweet spot. Learn what it sounds like and shift it at that point to keep your launches crisp.

Mine is jetted with a blue needle 5 from the top. 170 main and 1.5 turns out. It is colder here.

mity4
04-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the responces I do want to get it dyno tuned but money is a little tight right now and wife has a laundry list of things she wants done first. So for now I'm going to jet it back down and see. As far as the valves go I will be checking those to just to be sure and a service guy at the dealer claims the valves don't have to be ajusted according to ktm since there not shimmed. I'll ceck'em anyways soon.

scuzz
04-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by SSJEFF

The only way to tune right is to get some sort of reading. just listening to people online isn't going to do it for what jet, needle position, screw postition. The Accelerator pump is also tunable.

I would invest in getting it dyno tuned by someone who knows what they are doing and practicing drag racing while shifting at different points to see when the fastest shift point is.

SSJEFF has given excellent advice.

mity4
04-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Yes he has and as soon as I get some spendable cash for the outlaw it will get dyno tuned. SSJeff how much did it cost for the porting and polishing. Also what's the 8/06 cam is that what it's called and where did you get it. Are cams easy to install on these or let the pros do it and how much $ we talking. Thanks for the help.

SSJEFF
04-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by mity4
Yes he has and as soon as I get some spendable cash for the outlaw it will get dyno tuned. SSJeff how much did it cost for the porting and polishing. Also what's the 8/06 cam is that what it's called and where did you get it. Are cams easy to install on these or let the pros do it and how much $ we talking. Thanks for the help.

From What I have been told proting is about $250 just about anywere. Mine was done by Frank Batista at B&B and I can give you his number if you would like or you could hit the site sponsors up also. The 8/06 cam is a KTM cam I hear it is on back order till end of May. I just purchased a Hot cam for my IRS which is one of my Sponsors. It is a top end cam and I am hoping with the 525 it will work fine for what I do. I wll put up some info on my opinion of it once installed.

As for the instilation of the cam, I think it is easy but you will need to by a timing chain master link and either by or rent a tool to press the link together. If you are not very mechanical I would not tackle this but if you are then it is pretty easy.

the 8/06 cam is about $150, the Hot cam is somewhere around that also and can be found in many catalogs. The 8/06 is only found at a KTM dealer oronline. I was talking to magicracing about it until I found they are on backorder.

mity4
05-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks again I'll be looking into doing that stuff probably much later in the year when I freshen the motor up. Also what about the piston or would you leave it stock and just rering it when I freshen it up?

SSJEFF
05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by mity4
Thanks again I'll be looking into doing that stuff probably much later in the year when I freshen the motor up. Also what about the piston or would you leave it stock and just rering it when I freshen it up?

I would just rering it. I have heard bad things about high compression pistons and the lower ends. I was thinking of a CP 12:1 just to get it up a little.