PDA

View Full Version : hard clutch pull - lever or clutch or cable??

beags86
04-27-2009, 03:32 PM
so me and my old lady went riding a bit this weekend, and she now decides to tell me that the clutch is to hard to pull in. what can i do about this??

p.s. i already told her she needs to workout her hand and arm.. and i would be willing to help her with that ;) but she didn't seam to think that was the best way to remedy the clutch problem:(

metalmind342
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Mine was getting harder and harder to pull, so eventually I put a new clutch cable one and now its like butter. Give that a whirl, they aren't to pricey.

Pipeless416
04-27-2009, 04:34 PM
if you wanted to go all out, talk to Nacsmxer. he may or may not still have a magura hydraulic clutch for sale. a quick fix would be replacing the cable. if you go this route, go with a 250x clutch cable. its long enough to be routed down the frame instead of in between the headers, which causes premature wear.

beags86
04-27-2009, 05:15 PM
yeah i looked him looks like he still has it, as hoping for a cheaper answer right now, maybe down the road... i am thinking about getting a moose lever and a new cable, i don't know maybe a asv lever, i think that the 250x cable sounds like a good idea, anything i need to know about it? anybody know anything about what is a good lever to buy, i have never messed with aftermarket levers or cables, or clutch really, so i am clueless here.. always ran stock.

Pipeless416
04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
the 250x cable is simply just like a longer 400ex cable. i think i ordered a '92, but im not sure if the year matters. its the perfect length to run down the frame where the right side of the oil tank mounts. heres a picture..

as for the levers, i have had great luck with my ASV C5. i don't really think it made the pull any easier, but it really cleaned up the looks and it seems very strong. also, another common issue that causes a hard clutch pull is grooves in the clutch basket.

beags86
04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
i read an old post titled " '07 TRX400EX Clutch Lever Pull..." and sc400ex_rider said he thought the moose lever was a huge improvement, for 8 bucks i don't know if i can go wrong..
i personly don't think my ex has a super hard pull to it, but it been awhile since i have been on another one to compare to.

i was thinking maybe if i made the lever nicer she wouldn't know that it takes more effort..-- more or less that if it doesn't hurt her hand when she pulls it in she would be able to pull harder..

does this make sense to you??

Pipeless416
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by beags86
i read an old post titled " '07 TRX400EX Clutch Lever Pull..." and sc400ex_rider said he thought it was a huge improvement, for 8 bucks i don't know if i can go wrong..
i personly don't think my ex has a super hard pull to it, but it been awhile since i have been on another one to compare to.

i was thinking maybe if i made the lever nicer she wouldn't know that it takes more effort..-- more or less that if it doesn't hurt her hand when she pulls it in she would be able to pull harder..

does this make sense to you??

yep, kind of like a placebo lever lol.

beags86
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
yeah
but i do think i would like to upgrade the levers anyway, maybe to something more comfortable, or i hear they make levers that changes the pull ratio, anyone know who makes them?

mittman
04-27-2009, 07:57 PM
my friend has a z400 and I took it to the top of the hill by our camp about a mile( i had to make a phone call) and his clutch is hard I could feel it in my hand after I got back. The one in my ex is very easy and takes very little effort. About a week ago he got a new cable and its as easy as mine.

Red02EX
04-28-2009, 07:31 AM
I just went through this problem with mine, definately change the cable out first, I still had the OE cable and it was a pain in the rear to pull on, it broke and I bought a Motion Pro cable and it's like a whole new machine pulling the lever. I love it, best 14 bucks I ever spent.

bbender85
04-28-2009, 07:38 AM
if you have the adjuster on the lever perch adjusted such that you start disengaging the clutch as soon as you puul the clutch lever, back it off some; i have both of ours set up so that the clutch lever disengages the clutch just off the bar... and it is much more comfortable. the lever has slop in it, but you don't even notice it when you ride. so unless you're O.C.D. about tight levers, its a cheap way to ease your left hand. :)

dunatic
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
yeah
but i do think i would like to upgrade the levers anyway, maybe to something more comfortable, or i hear they make levers that changes the pull ratio, anyone know who makes them?

check out Applied Racing (google search em) They make an EZ pull lever that has ball bearings on the pivot (never wears out and next to zero friction. Then install the 250x cable for the ultimate setup

beags86
04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by dunatic
check out Applied Racing (google search em) They make an EZ pull lever that has ball bearings on the pivot (never wears out and next to zero friction. Then install the 250x cable for the ultimate setup

thanks for all the help everyone!! but dunatic- that sounds like what i was really wanting to know, cheaper then the magura hydraulic clutch. even though that maybe the best setup.
even when i can get a used one for 150.

trying to put the bucks towards the 250r these days, and i pretty much have "stage 1" of my 400ex done. i want to get "stage 1" of the r done now!

dunatic
04-29-2009, 12:00 AM
I currently run magura's on both of my bikes and both of my buddys bikes. but before that we all had Applied levers and OEM cables.

beags86
04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
I currently run magura's on both of my bikes and both of my buddys bikes. but before that we all had Applied levers and OEM cables.

would you happen to have an old applied lever around you want to get rid of?

zwark
04-29-2009, 10:18 PM
i sprayed wd-40 down the rubber hose and it worked fine.

dunatic
04-29-2009, 10:21 PM
would you happen to have an old applied lever around you want to get rid of?

I dont...sold all that stuff the week I got my magura a couple of years ago.

they're only $30 new i think

beags86
04-30-2009, 03:36 PM
I dont...sold all that stuff the week I got my magura a couple of years ago.

they're only $30 new i think

still...if i could buy on shipped for 20.... why not save the 10 spot?

dunatic
05-01-2009, 07:19 AM
sure...............every dollar saved is a dollar earned.

Ive always off'd the parts that I replace that are worth selling the moment I take them off. I try not to stock pile GOOD parts.

omeeomy
05-01-2009, 07:40 PM
just changed plates and disk
used heavy duty spirings and it pulls alot easier

Pipeless416
05-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by omeeomy
just changed plates and disk
used heavy duty spirings and it pulls alot easier

:huh

beags86
05-26-2009, 07:45 PM
update---

finally put the applied racing clutch lever on tonight with the 250x cable. and my god what a difference, i don't think i realized the cable was that worn out. for anyone that needs a new setup this is the route to go!!! it pulls so easy!

2001trx400ex
06-18-2009, 12:02 AM
i had the same problem get a new clutch cable like 16 something dollars for it feels like a hydraulic assist with it now hope that helps oh and make sure your cable isnt riding on the head pipe keep it between the two header pipes to prevent ware on the cable which i had to learn the hard way lol

motoboy66
06-18-2009, 08:04 PM
if a new cable and lever dont help, then your clutch cam is worn. The 400 will do this after a lot of use. it is the part that goes into the engine case. i tried everything to make mine better, and finaly this solved the problem. I dont think it is very expensive, but you will have to take the clutch cover off, at least i did.

LEVER, CLUTCH 22810-HN1-020 $27.62 $26.24 thats through motosport.com web site

dankbud42o
06-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 2001trx400ex
i had the same problem get a new clutch cable like 16 something dollars for it feels like a hydraulic assist with it now hope that helps oh and make sure your cable isnt riding on the head pipe keep it between the two header pipes to prevent ware on the cable which i had to learn the hard way lol

ty for the heads up

n811
06-21-2009, 08:22 AM
I had the same prob. I put on a 300ex cable. (longer) to get it away from the header. Still had a problem. then I looked at the clutch. Turned out the plates and fibers were fine but the basket had some grooves in it and was rubbing hard, making the pull real stiff. I need to get the Hinson basket seems it has harder metal where they slide on.