PDA

View Full Version : 450 shocks

89rwfo
04-27-2009, 01:01 PM
has anyone had any experience with running them on the 250r. I have a nice set of triple rate axis shocks for the 450r. My trouble is they are an inch longer than a 250r shock (17" eye to eye) I am running stock a-arms and it makes the bike sit way to tall with no sag. I race this bike in the woods and would love to make them work.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Honda 250r 001
04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
the only thing you can do is loosen the springs or get aftermarket +2 a arms. +2's seem to work best with the 450r shocks but +3's work good too.

dynofox
05-03-2009, 10:20 AM
I've got a set of 450r shocks on my 250r with +2 a-arms. Had them re-valved and re-sprung and they work great, very plush in the woods.

GT300
05-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Yea, same set up as above. Works great!

ballzdeep38
05-03-2009, 01:27 PM
i just put a set on my 87. had to use a spring compressor to get them on and it was a pain in the ***. the front end does sit a little higher but i didnt notice it when i was riding. this is with the stock a arms and i am about 155 pounds. in the trails they were a little stiff but not unbareable in any way. i purposely nose dived a jump (which would have bottomed my stockers) and the 450 shocks soaked it up easily. overall for about $100 and a few hours of your time i think it was a pretty good upgrade. if i had the money to spend i would have went a different route but i am pretty happy with them for now.

unit32
05-04-2009, 07:13 AM
I have a set of works triple rates that measure 17" from eye to eye on +2 LSR a-arms and have had some issue's with them. The only way I could get the shocks to bolt up was to lift the front off the ground take the tie rods off bolt up the shocks let the quad down then bolt up the tie rods. The tie rod ends where binding and not let the shocks and a-armsfully extend. I was afraid I would be out riding and break a tie rod end or bend a tie rod. I had to buy heim type tie rod ends . I haven't gotten them yet so I don't know for sure if they will work.

unit32
05-04-2009, 08:39 AM
This is how it sits right now. Definately looks a little high.

MossboysRacing
05-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Ive been running them for a couple of years and race XC. Search this topic and you will find a bunch of old threads with lots of info. Ive posted on this a few times before

89rwfo
05-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by MossboysRacing
Ive been running them for a couple of years and race XC. Search this topic and you will find a bunch of old threads with lots of info. Ive posted on this a few times before

Ok will do thanks for the info.
btw does OXC stand for Ohio x country?

Honda 250r 001
05-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by unit32
I have a set of works triple rates that measure 17" from eye to eye on +2 LSR a-arms and have had some issue's with them. The only way I could get the shocks to bolt up was to lift the front off the ground take the tie rods off bolt up the shocks let the quad down then bolt up the tie rods. The tie rod ends where binding and not let the shocks and a-armsfully extend. I was afraid I would be out riding and break a tie rod end or bend a tie rod. I had to buy heim type tie rod ends . I haven't gotten them yet so I don't know for sure if they will work.

another thing you can do is bend the tabs down where the tie rod ends mount, on teh bottom of he stem. Are you sure its not the ball joints that are hitting?

unit32
05-05-2009, 08:56 AM
The ball joints on the tie rod ends only have so much movement and with the shocks mounted up the a-arms are so extended that I cannot even get the tie rod ends in the holes to bolt them up. I can bolt them up if the shocks are not in but then there's not enough travel in the a-arms due to the ball joints on the tie rod ends binding to get the shocks mounted up. The ball joints on the tie rod ends are stopping the shocks and a-arms from fully extending and if I was to ride it this way and hit a jump or pull the front end off the ground I might bend the tie rod or break the tie rod end.