PDA

View Full Version : oil in airbox

sha_rob_27
04-27-2009, 11:46 AM
hey guys, my girlfriend and I went to sand mountain this weekend, and her ltr kept having oil show up in the airbox...still runs like a champ and is pretty fast...anyone else have this happen? fried rings? or is there a crankcase vent or something that would cause this...please let me know! thanks

atveric132
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
yea its blown. rings went bad and prolly scratched cylinder which is letting oil get on top of the piston and blowing it into the airbox

honda250xman
04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
there is a crank case vent, but yeah it sounds blown. you're probably going to need a whole new top end :-/

sha_rob_27
04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
ok...any idea how much it will be? or what kind of piston and stuff to get? im new to the inside of this thing, and dont want to mess it up...any advice is much appreciated

atveric132
04-28-2009, 09:20 AM
you wont need a intire top end maybe just a cylinder. unless you want to spend a good amount of money i would just get another stock piston. once you take it apart call kyle at cernics he will hook you up.

sha_rob_27
04-28-2009, 09:40 AM
so a piston, rings, and gaskets for sure...and maybe a cylinder...ok...i guess i will look it up...cylinders are gonna be spendy im sure....

atveric132
04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
yea well a piston kit comes with rings. a top end gasket kit and you will have to take it apart and look at the cylinder before you kno if its bad or not. call kyle at cernics and telll him eric vaughn said to call you and he will hook you up with some discounts

Warnerade
04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
id look into sending your cylinder out to get it re-sealed...if your rings went bad odds are your cylinder is worn

sha_rob_27
04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
ok...i will probably tear into it this weekend, thanks for all the help...where could i get my cylinder re sealed? or would I have to get a new sleeve as well?

atveric132
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
it doesnt need to be re-sealed if the rings tore it up gettin it sealed isnt going to fix the problem

Warnerade
04-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by atveric132
it doesnt need to be re-sealed if the rings tore it up gettin it sealed isnt going to fix the problem so if cylinder is worn out causing it to blow oil into the air box through the blow by, you honestly think just replacing the rings is going to solve his problem? The oil isnt going into his combustion chamber and back through his throttle body either by the way...that is literally next to impossible.

having his cylinder re-sealed and replacing the piston rings and/or piston, all his problems will be fixed

Warnerade
04-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by sha_rob_27
ok...i will probably tear into it this weekend, thanks for all the help...where could i get my cylinder re sealed? or would I have to get a new sleeve as well? You could call around to a few local engine shops, someone is bound to know of a place in your area that can do it...it should run you about 150-200 bucks, but it beats paying 400 bucks for a brand new cylinder.

atveric132
04-28-2009, 03:34 PM
no im saying that if the cylinder is bad re-sealing it is not going to fix the problem. he either has to buy a new cylinder or get the stock one bored out

sha_rob_27
04-28-2009, 05:03 PM
ok...so if it is tore back, then i gotta get a new one...and if it is just the rings, and we caught it early, re-sealing it should be ok? and its sealed with Nikasil right? i havent broke the news to her yet....she is gonna be upset, hers is newer than mine....lol

atveric132
04-28-2009, 05:05 PM
yes if the cylinder is bad you need a new one but if its very minor you can get it re-plated

sha_rob_27
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
ok...and how about another dumb question...how will I know if it is bad enough to get a new cylinder? im hoping its not, because the bike is still fast, and shows no sign of going south other than the oil in the box...

atveric132
04-28-2009, 05:41 PM
if there are minor scratches then you can get it replated but any worse you will nedd a new one

sha_rob_27
04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
cool...thanks guys...i may be asking for your help when i start pullin it apart...

Warnerade
04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by atveric132
if there are minor scratches then you can get it replated but any worse you will nedd a new one ya pretty much you'll be able to tell if it needs replaced or just re-sealed...the two are pretty easy to distinguish once ya look at it lol

no problem sha_rob_27, im sure between me and eric we can get ya squared away

sparks 450
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
did you make sure you didnt put to much oil in the engine, overfill it . that can cause it to spit the extra oil out the crankcase vent hose into the air box. happened on my friends quad.

sha_rob_27
05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
no, actually...ive been really busy with school to deal with this problem...(gotta love engineering!)...i will check that...and, i was meaning to ask, when i checked in the airboot, it was completely dry, like no residue, nothing...so im kinda baffled...guess i will check the oil level and go from there....thanks again for all the help guys!

sparks 450
05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
make sure you drain the engine and the oil tank. my friend forgot to drain the oil tank and it caused the problem he was having. when he filled it back up without draining the oil tank it was overfilled .It blew the extra oil into the airbox, good luck.

sha_rob_27
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
ok. thats cool that it may just vbe something simple...sounds logical...actually it wasnt on my bike, it was on one my gf just got used from a guy. It still runs like a beast, and is just as fast as mine...weve ridden it a few times, maybe like 10 hrs or so, and its performed great, then we noticed the oil. gonna check it this weekend go from there. thanks...shaun

sparks 450
05-06-2009, 06:25 PM
keep us posted.

sha_rob_27
05-13-2009, 12:23 AM
update on this...so, i checked the oil, and it was so high, it was up by the threads on the dipstick...so i drained some out, and am gonna take it out tomorrow to see if this fixed the problem. I think that when the guy changed the oil he filled up the case wayyyy to much...idk. but anyway, i will let you know how the ride goes, and i really appreciate all the help guys! shaun