PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket help

Snipe
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Alright yall question. I ride lots of trails tight trails weaving some straight but not much. For the XC style racing I do and such I am wanting to know what will help me.

I increased my tire size by one inch to help with mostly ground clearance since my stock tires were actually measuring 2inches under stock size.

I got my ride height back up and it helped increase my gear height as well but my problem is this.

When riding these tight trails my 2nd gear just dont seem to be tall enough. Leaving me either running a few extra feet at a slower speed in 2nd or shifting into third for that few feet and then having to down shift again as im trying to take the corner.

When racing so much shifting can be a pain.... Im wanting to know if anyone can get me a good front sprocket size that will increase my gear speed without destroying my bottom end. Im thinking maybe 2 teeth up on the front sprocket and a new chain.

drew416ex
04-27-2009, 02:38 PM
what is your current gearing? 2 teeth up on the front will probably kill the bottom end.

04-27-2009, 02:52 PM
dont gear up to use 2nd gear down to use 3rd. I can do just about every tight turn in 3rd you just keep your revs up and do a little clutch work every so often but dropping a tooth on the front would allow me to lug 3rd all day no problems. Not sure how fast you ride trails but if I geared 3rd down i would probally be in 4th a lot more often on them.

Snipe
04-27-2009, 08:43 PM
When I hit the really tight stuff im probly avg about 25 to 30, try to keep it fast enough that my front end is either floating over the rough stuff or quad is jumping over it. try to stay as fast as possible in corners and trying to keep the dang thing in a higher gear. Honestly I ride ninety percent in 3rd and 4rth but when I get into the heavy stuff im dropping to keep my take off power high but im just needing to increase the second gear reach to be a bit higher.

I would love to increase my gear height as I honstely do have so much bottom end my quad stands up when punching the gas.

I dont know if 1 tooth on the front or 2 would be suffecient to make all the gears higher. 1 might be enough im just trying to get some info from ppl who have done it is all.

Wheelie
04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Go down a tooth or two on the rear.

richards
04-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
dont gear up to use 2nd gear down to use 3rd. I can do just about every tight turn in 3rd you just keep your revs up and do a little clutch work every so often but dropping a tooth on the front would allow me to lug 3rd all day no problems. Not sure how fast you ride trails but if I geared 3rd down i would probally be in 4th a lot more often on them.

I agree, I would go down 1 tooth on the front which should put you in solidly 3rd instead of swapping between 2nd and 3rd in those conditions.

IMO the only reason not to gear down is if you are currently topping out in 5th, if that is the case I agree try going up 1 tooth on the front or down 2 teeth on the rear.

Fronts are cheap and easy to swap out so you could buy 2 or 3 of them in different sizes to check them out. You may find it is nice to have a selection for different riding areas and conditions.

Snipe
05-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I put my stock carb back on and it did exactly what I wanted it runs perfect now for here in my location the 450R carb actually hurt performance!