PDA

View Full Version : 400ex pistonand 450r piston ? 420

hondatim
04-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Hello, I would like to know the measurement from the wrist pin to the top of the piston. I got to rebuild my 420 I have not tore it down yet but I am tring to get my ducks inline first the 450 piston will fit my connecting rod I think the 400 piston will too. I just don't know about the stroke. I don't think i will be able to bore out to a 450 but 440 maybe possilble.

Wheelie
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
A 450 piston in a 400ex, you're kidding, right?

hondatim
04-27-2009, 10:41 AM
2007 honda rancher 420 with a bore of 86.5mm

rideracelivemx7
04-27-2009, 05:42 PM
HACK, just get the right frigen piston, each piston is engineered for the engine, the cups in each piston is designed for each piston in each motor, im looking at the oem pistons from my previous builds of my 400 and my 450r and the pistons are COMPLETELY different in every way to the 400's piston, i can almost guarentee you'll have a valve clearance issue, the valves in a 450 are significantly bigger than the 400's, and if your going to spend the money to machine the cylinder to accept a larger bore why dont you just buy a stock bore piston thats made for your engine!

and the wrist pins are compltely different in thickness and lengths, you can "guess" youll have a ton ofmechanical noise that wont sound health if for some reason you do happen to pull this off.

04-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
HACK, just get the right frigen piston, each piston is engineered for the engine, the cups in each piston is designed for each piston in each motor, im looking at the oem pistons from my previous builds of my 400 and my 450r and the pistons are COMPLETELY different in every way to the 400's piston, i can almost guarentee you'll have a valve clearance issue, the valves in a 450 are significantly bigger than the 400's, and if your going to spend the money to machine the cylinder to accept a larger bore why dont you just buy a stock bore piston thats made for your engine!

and the wrist pins are compltely different in thickness and lengths, you can "guess" youll have a ton ofmechanical noise that wont sound health if for some reason you do happen to pull this off.

He's talking about putting it in a rancher 420, not 400ex.