PDA

View Full Version : I have a question???

chevybird72
04-27-2009, 06:16 AM
I was esearching a new bike and came across your website.
My question is I am looking at 2008 model outlaws and looking for an unbiased opinion on wheter to get the 450 or 525s model. Most of my riding is probally trails with rock obstacles in Mark Twain National Forest (chadwick), but I will probaly go to Waynoka sand dunes 2 or 3 times a year. Any help would be appreciated. Also some of you guys have some really nice quads.
:confused: :confused:

OutlawBill
04-27-2009, 08:19 AM
525 better tail engine

polfan73
04-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I own an 08' 525s that I bought to trail ride, and race local XC races with. I've never had it to the dunes, but IMO it would be awesome for that. Now trail riding is a little different story. Being 100% percent honest it needs some serious suspension help! Don't get me wrong I like it, and have a blast on it, but its gonna take some money to get the suspension and handling where I wan't it. In the power department it has all I could ask for. I've never ridden the 08' 450, but I just recently rode the 09' 450 and came away impressed. They made a lot of improvements in a year. The power was just a tad below my 525, but it did rev a little quicker. If I had to do it over I would have got the 450, and just put taller tires on. Stock for stock the suspension is better on the 450. The rear shock is the same, but the fronts have rezzies, and more adjustability.

Hope this helps!

somewon
04-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Let me start by saying that my 2 favorite places to ride are waynoka and Chadwick. You are in the right area but comparing the wrong models. :)

I have the IRS model and it works perfect for chadwick!! By not having a swinger it becomes very very hard to get high centered on rocks. If you get the 450 you are going to need to swap tires immediately as ground clearance is going to be a problem. there is nothing more fun that being the last one to start to climb up one of the big rock hills and passing everyone as they get hung up. In my humble opinion there is no better quad for chadwick.

poke around this site a little and you will see people talk about the IRS features like less rider fatigue, no air box restriction issue, yada, yada, yada.

I might also add that it's not too shabby in the sad either.

somewon
04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
for those of you unfamilar with the area chadwick is in the foot hills of the ozark mountains and is a rock base park. the trails are listed in three categories, green (beginner) red (difficult) and black (expert) trials bikes are the only vehicles allowed to leave the trails. they are maintained trails and it is a beautiful location with miles and miles of trails connected by fire roads.

The green trails have mild elevation increases with little to no obsticales (very fast trails).

Red typically has rock bluffs/ledges and some pretty good elevation changes.

Black - you will need a winch at some point during the trail. boulders as big as cars.

This is my favorite park in Missouri!!!

http://thumb13.webshots.net/s/thumb4/1/82/85/103918285gsFjQK_th.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1103918285050769093gsFjQK)

BTW the following video never goes on any of the black trails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvtzTXIgv8c

birdman7389
04-27-2009, 05:59 PM
525 IRS, just do eeet!

SSJEFF
04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
there is no replacement for displacement.

525, the 450 has the better front shocks though. i just made my 450 a 525. Just change jug and piston.

montycarlo
04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
there is no replacement for displacement.

525, the 450 has the better front shocks though. i just made my 450 a 525. Just change jug and piston.

Am also looking to swap up to a 525MXR if I can find a cheap enough jug.

FiveTwentyFive
04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
You want the 525 IRS. Trust me , you won't be sorry.

:cool:

chevybird72
05-20-2009, 07:35 PM
thank you to everyone for your input. I didn't really think I would like the IRS you know what they say about change. Anyway I was fortunate to spend a whole day at a friend of mine and he let me ride his 2006 outlaw IRS all day so I got a pretty good feel for it and was surprisingly impressed. So I now think I'm leaning toward a 525IRS:D

birdman7389
05-21-2009, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by chevybird72
thank you to everyone for your input. I didn't really think I would like the IRS you know what they say about change. Anyway I was fortunate to spend a whole day at a friend of mine and he let me ride his 2006 outlaw IRS all day so I got a pretty good feel for it and was surprisingly impressed. So I now think I'm leaning toward a 525IRS:D
If you liked the 500 IRS....the 525 KTM motor will leave you with a big arsed grin :D