PDA

View Full Version : yfz450 cornering

mxpimp2000
04-26-2009, 11:03 PM
how can u keep ur front end from pushing in the turns it feels like it just wants to keep going striaght and over the berms sometimes and its costing me time on the track

Titanium
04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
What i figured out is that you just have to throw a little more a ss into it if you know what i mean. Seems like you have to use the throttle to turn these quads.:rolleyes: i'm not complaining though they arent to bad of quads. knock on wood..

John Houser
04-28-2009, 05:58 PM
If you are talking about the 2009 YFZ450R, it does not corner well. There are some caster issues. As the suspension compresses, caster is added to the a-arms, which is opposite to what you want. (More caster makes the bike want to go straight).

Putting the Houser patented TRICTRAC system on this quad corrects this problem and makes a world of difference. It will corner & the arm pump is reduced.

Anyone having this bike will be fighting the front end without knowing why. The GNCC Yamaha team, Ballance, Cecco, Sommers, Ockerman, & Gallager(next race), switched to this & raced it at round #5 Loretta Lynn's. Two first places & a second.

We are making an upper a-arm with TRICTRAC/SLICAST to replace the OEM a-arm. Will be available first week in May.

mxpimp2000
04-28-2009, 06:52 PM
i was reffering to the older yfzs

John Houser
04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Reducing the caster will help it corner, but make it a little more twitchy on straight lines. Reduce caster by moving the top ball joint forward, if you have a-arms that allow you to do this.

mxpimp2000
04-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by John Houser
Reducing the caster will help it corner, but make it a little more twitchy on straight lines. Reduce caster by moving the top ball joint forward, if you have a-arms that allow you to do this.

yes i have JB a-arms long travels, are you saying to make the wheel lean out more or lean in more

John Houser
04-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Having the top of the wheels lean in or out is camber. For MX about 3 degrees of camber seems to be about right. If you do not have a digital level, use a carpenders square & have the top of the wheel tllted in 5/8" t0 3/4" on each side.

Caster is the relationship between the top ball joint & the bottom ball joint as you are lookinh at the quad from the side. With our SLICAST caster adjustment system, you would just adjust it 1 click at a time. You should contact JB & see how to adjust those a-arms. If they have the heim joints, you adjust them.

racer113
05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
depends now

front end pushing with little load on the front springs

then increase the spring tension on the back and decresse the compression setting on the front shocks

now if the front end is pushing with a heavy load on the front do the opposite

there is also the pin it and slide your but method in that case most yfz work awsome

quad janern
05-04-2009, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Titanium
What i figured out is that you just have to throw a little more a ss into it if you know what i mean.

x 2 :)

nicker71
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
I've been having the same problems on my yfz as well. Im running ars/fx with axis front shocks and gtt rear. I cant corner near as well as it should. I also roll and really have a bad problem 2 wheeling. My front end is not caster adjustable and Im running 5/8" camber. Just cant figure it out, just thought it was me a first until I rode other machine and realized how much better they can turn.

Im going to try and adjust my crossovers and maybe try different ride heights from front to back.

mxpimp2000
05-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by nicker71
I've been having the same problems on my yfz as well. Im running ars/fx with axis front shocks and gtt rear. I cant corner near as well as it should. I also roll and really have a bad problem 2 wheeling. My front end is not caster adjustable and Im running 5/8" camber. Just cant figure it out, just thought it was me a first until I rode other machine and realized how much better they can turn.

Im going to try and adjust my crossovers and maybe try different ride heights from front to back.

almost makes me want a zuki:D they handle sooo well

ALAMX37
05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I noticed this on all YFZ's I have rode. I owned two setup for mx and my younger brother has one now. We tried a ton of different setups and I could never get it to turn the way I wanted it too. A stock LTR handles better than 99% of the YFZ's I have rode. Never had this problem with my hyrbids or TRX. There is also no rake in the front of the frame, and this makes for crappy suspension action in the front.

Just my opinion.