PDA

View Full Version : Yfz450r... Wow!

MX MaNiAc 06
04-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I've got a Honda 450R with all kinds of mods. But I am getting bored of it becuse I've had it almost four years.. I am open to pretty much any 450 because it will not be the same machine by the time I'm done modding. But I told myself that a YFZ was completely out of the question. Untillll I stopped by a dealer and checked out the new MX yfz. I must say.. they did their homework on this one. When I sat on it I swear I felt like I was going fast. haha It's so light and it feels like it would be comfortable at any position at fast speeds, like turning or leaning back. My complaint about the yfz is that I just don't feel comfortable on them.

Can any new owners please enlighten me as to why I should buy the new YFZ450R instead of a KTM. Please mention everything that you like and dislike about the bike. Pictures are welcome as well! Let me see what you've done with it!

dobber21
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
i dont own one but i know a guy that bought one and in his first race the lower shock mount on the aarm actually separated from the aarm, first race brand new

crixal
04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
if you can afford the ktm, i'd get it. if not, the yfzr is a great choice. they are a very nice ride. ltr's are a nice choice too.

TAPS1972
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Wow My friends yfz is 350lbs "shiped"
The 09 R 415lbs,I stoped by the stealer showroom recently,its awsome looking,and already cam-modded.
But light its not.
Its hard for me to understand how a "race quad" gains 65lbs.
I have an ltr my title says 368 shiped.
We switch quads often and the 18lbs is noticable.
Im getting ready to sell and upgrade,but the new ones are heavy.The 09 Suzuki is 405lbs ......WHY.

kyledvor61
04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
The 350 pounds is dry weight. Less oil, gas, radiator fluid, battery acid etc.

the 415 is full of fluids ready to roll.

TAPS1972
04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Manufactuers Weight do not contane fluids,415lbs is dry.

Even if you add 24lbs for 2 1/2 gallons gas and 1/2 gallon of oil its still over weight.
Face it,it weighs more.

kyledvor61
04-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I wasnt trying to say its lighter, I know it weighs more.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspeccompare/628/1662/0/compare.aspx

350 DRY YFZ
405 WET YFZ-R

It's not a 65 pound difference. It is some, but not 65 pounds.

kodymx13
04-27-2009, 07:51 PM
well my jb crf hybrid comes in at a hefty 355lbs full of fuel and soaking after a bath. just thought id throw that out there....

TAPS1972
04-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Im not knockin the 09,I want one.
But by rite its being sold as a "race quad"
Iv just never seen a 400+lbs race quad in a 450 class

kyledvor61
04-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by kodymx13
well my jb crf hybrid comes in at a hefty 355lbs full of fuel and soaking after a bath. just thought id throw that out there.... and im sure my Houser yz426 hybrid weighs about the same :rolleyes:

04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by TAPS1972
Im not knockin the 09,I want one.
But by rite its being sold as a "race quad"
Iv just never seen a 400+lbs race quad in a 450 class

It's Wet Weight sweet heart.... The YFZ weighs in at 396 wet weight I believe... Do you people know the difference between Wet weight and Dry weight?

****One just got washed? :rolleyes: *****

04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
BTW here's the math for the dropout's. ---

1 Gallon of gas weighs anywhere from 5.93 to 6.42 lbs (temp, type, blend) so we'll say 6.17 to be close to the middle.

3 Gallons of fuel to the DRY WEIGHT of a YFZ = 368.51

Now 2 quarts of oil @ 1.8 pounds per quart on average = 372.11

I'm not sure how much antifreeze a YFZ holds (haven't changed mine yet) so we'll do it for a quart and 2 quarts. 1 gallon of antifreeze is 9.33 lbs. / 4 = 2.33

So 1 qt. would put us at 374.44 and 2 would put us at 376.77

Brake fluid is so little I don't think it will make a dif. :chinese:

Also considering that the yamaha page is slightly favoring the true dry weight of a YFZ I'm going to say atleast 380 lbs. Now consider a few pounds for wider A-arms, I'm sure the wet weight of a "race YFZ" is somewhere in the 385+ .... Add some more with EFI...

BTW- whoever said they never heard of a race quad weighing over 400 lbs.... The LTR is at 414 lbs according to suzuki's site...

TAPS1972
04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Nova
It's Wet Weight sweet heart.... The YFZ weighs in at 396 wet weight I believe... Do you people know the difference between Wet weight and Dry weight?

****One just got washed? :rolleyes: *****
You can "belive" what you want.

Its a fact the 09 YFZR is heaver.

04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
You can "belive" what you want.

Its a fact the 09 YFZR is heaver.

YFZR is still lighter than an LTR sweet heart. :rolleyes: Get facts first tenderness. Not to mention the YFZR is 2" wider than the LTR. :rolleyes:

Manufactuers Weight do not contane fluids,415lbs is dry.

Even if you add 24lbs for 2 1/2 gallons gas and 1/2 gallon of oil its still over weight.
Face it,it weighs more.

Just so that MAYBE you will understand this again - WET weight = full of fluid. Dry weight = empty.

YFZR is in wet weight on Yamaha-Motor.com... YFZ is not... I've proved my point so keep thinking that, "a 400+ lb. race quad is Unheard of!?!?" *GASP*

Edit- 405 lb wet weight on the YFZ BTW* Not 415

TAPS1972
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
My title say 368 shiped.
And to tell you the truth,neither is really race ready if put in a feild of truly race ready quads they would both GET RAPED.

Whitch brings me back to my origanal post
Why is it over 405lbs,and called a "race quad"

04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
My title say 368 shiped.
And to tell you the truth,neither is really race ready if put in a feild of truly race ready quads they would both GET RAPED.

Whitch brings me back to my origanal post
Why is it over 405lbs,and called a "race quad"

I refer you here:

http://www.darwinawards.com/

TAPS1972
04-27-2009, 09:24 PM
1. im not ur sweet heart
2.The LTRs lbs. are not in ? here
3.the new YFZ-R is a heaver quad than the non R (FACT)
4. I said I had never seen a 400=lbs "race quad" not that it UNHEARD OF.
Just for chuckels watch a weigh in for 450s at a pro event

04-27-2009, 09:31 PM
1. im not ur sweet heart
2.The LTRs lbs. are not in ? here
3.the new YFZ-R is a heaver quad than the non R (FACT)
4. I said I had never seen a 400=lbs "race quad" not that it UNHEARD OF.
Just for chuckels watch a weigh in for 450s at a pro event

Are you in the "advanced placement class"? We all know that the R is heavier than the YFZ... But you're talking like it's a MAJOR difference... Which it's not... :rolleyes:

Sweetheart

coryatver
04-27-2009, 09:36 PM
everyone knows the yamaha weight spec for the yfz is WAYY off it is heaver than 350 dry!

TAPS1972
04-27-2009, 09:40 PM
What ever.
In a sport were people spend "thousands" on aluminum,carbon fiber,ect. too make a quad lighter.
I would exspect the "race" version to be lighter than the reg. one.Not 50lbs more

04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
What ever.
In a sport were people spend "thousands" on aluminum,carbon fiber,ect. too make a quad lighter.
I would exspect the "race" version to be lighter than the reg. one.Not 50lbs more

50lbs. is off by more than a bit my dear... When you do proper research you're more than welcome to come back to debate class.

04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
stoped; noticable; shiped; feild; heaver; exspect.

Just out of curiousity... Is evolution working backwards on you?

TAPS1972
04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Nova
Just out of curiousity... Is evolution working backwards on you?

I am the missing LINK
and six months from now like ur mate,that 09 R will be used,dirty and cheaper
I dont enjoy riffin, but if you want to be rude, pound sand cheif.
And nova in english means NOGO

04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I am the missing LINK
and six months from now like ur mate,that 09 R will be used,dirty and cheaper
I dont enjoy riffin, but if you want to be rude, pound sand cheif.
And nova in english means NOGO

Nova in the term referred by my user name is:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa6/autoartshop/ChevyNovaGmachineart.jpg

MX MaNiAc 06
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
The yfzr weighs no more than anything else dingleberrys.. even if it does lets say i couldnt give a chit... pros and cons of this bike?

TAPS1972
04-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Im gonna put insults aside and say.
I took my LTR off the showroom floor with big expectations
I was some what disapoionted.Being advetised as a race quad and all
Then my friend took his YFZ from the dealer,he got a killer deal, but was some what disapointed also.
After all the standerd mods pipe,air filter,fuel chip on mine and jetting on his,they start to feel "like" a race quad.
I was gonna go yfzr this time,but gonna wait and keep the ltr for a wiel longer.
With both quads simalar mods the ltr would get more down off the line,and keep it.
Now he's done the cam mod,and pulls the ltr by a length,his quad is quick as hell now......
So to the person that started the tread,buy what you like there all quit close in preformace.
I think there all kinda turdy stock.
The new 09YFZR is already cam-modded,so im gessin its got the advantage this year

hotshotgoal30
04-28-2009, 06:42 AM
whats with all the sweethearts and dears? you 2 dating? lol i belive the can-am is the lightest in stock form. 345 pounds dry weight. so even then 400 pounds is kinda alot. i mean yeah you add fluids and all but its still not near 400

yfz450-111
04-28-2009, 06:59 AM
You're all talking about the weight but none of you have effectively ridden one. I bought one 2 months ago and i can tell you this is the best bike i've ever ridden. Everything is just better than the old yfz on this bike. Ergonomics and handling are really the biggest improvements and makes it less tiring (these were my 2 big complaints on the yfz).
Right now i only have front axis shocks on it but i'm already faster than on my full race built yfz. Overall i've been more than happy with it and you don't even feel the added weight.

MX MaNiAc 06
04-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by yfz450-111
You're all talking about the weight but none of you have effectively ridden one. I bought one 2 months ago and i can tell you this is the best bike i've ever ridden. Everything is just better than the old yfz on this bike. Ergonomics and handling are really the biggest improvements and makes it less tiring (these were my 2 big complaints on the yfz).
Right now i only have front axis shocks on it but i'm already faster than on my full race built yfz. Overall i've been more than happy with it and you don't even feel the added weight.

I felt kinda cramped on the old style yfzs because of my height. Is the MX version a bit roomier?

yfz450-111
04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Yes that's definitely the best improvement they've made. The rear fenders were move backwards and the front fenders forward. In addition to that you have 4 different handlebars position. The new seat is great too.

quadscrib
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, DIRTWHEELS APRIL 09 when THEY weighed CAN-AM,KTM,LTR,YFZR the wieghts are as follows (READY TO RIDE):
CAN-AM: 420 lbs
KTM: 385 lbs
LTR: 414lbs
YFZR: 405lbs

Id say either bigtime missprint or when manufacturers advertise their specs its all BS!!!
I personally do trust DIRTWHEELS and find these ##s hard to argue with...but I wasnt there.

BTW, that puts the YFZR in #2 position as far as weight is concerned.
On my old 04' YFZ I took off all electric start parts, heel guards, and stripped the wiring harness and the milkcrate full of crap weighed 33lbs!!! Thats not counting the lights and crap that were pulled off the day I bought it, parking brake assy and more.
Add gussets, stabilizer, bigger shocks, longer a-arms, wider axle,bead locks, etc...... and where we ending up folks?
When I stripped down my 04 I COULD notice the difference but when I bought my 08 I did not remove ANY of that stuff (other than lights) and really dont notice the difference and in fact have had better finishes on this quad.
Anyways this thread is full of alot of opinions and BS. I think DIRTWHEELS has summed this argument up quite well.

hotshotgoal30
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
that doesnt make any sense. how can the can am go from the lightest to the heaviest? 345 dry weight to 420 wet weight? thats over 75 pounds. no way is there that much weight in fluids. now unless it was the "x" package which if i recall the test was with the "x" package which adds nerf bars, beadlock rims, better shocks, full skidplates, handlebar risors to name a few then yeah i could see it. you cant compare apples to oranges i guess. add all that stuff to the rest and see how they compare. personally i like the yfzr. the seat is kinda goofy. looks just like the suzuki 400's but it was between the yfzr and the can am ds450 for me. both are excellent in my opinion. major improvment from my buddies 07 yfz which i felt cramped on

quadscrib
04-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Yah good point pointing out the "X package" details... didnt think of that even though I made a similar point about add ons.
I guess when it comes down to it we ARE comparing apples and apples but which apples you like? Personally I like Macintosh (stupid joke).
Yamaha quality is hard to beat and really the machine for me.

tach13
04-28-2009, 01:32 PM
i just saw the black special addition at my dealer and wow again. it looks so sick i need to ride this thing and see if it rides like it looks.

Quadevil
04-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I just know KTM 450 SX weighs 365lbs wet (without fuel). Includes nerfs, top shocks, kill switch, beadlock rims etc and the others need all this so, go figure.

Quadevil
04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
hahahaha
I checked Can-Am site and they state 345lbs dry for both the normal DS, the X XC and the X MX.
That is for sure wrong and of course the X MX is the heaviest of the 3 DS's.
345lbs is only valid for the normal DS, both X XC and X MX weigh more...
Can-Am needs to correct that infos.

hotshotgoal30
04-28-2009, 08:34 PM
true but tha goes for any manufactorer. they all bluff a little. i think its obvious you have to compare base models. once you start going into "x" packages and "mx" packages things are going to differ

700bRad
04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
For all you ladies arguing and getting technical about weight, you need to put on a new dress and answer this guys question. "Why should I buy the YFZr over a KTM?" "What do you like and dislike?" I know that the extra weight could go under the dislike category, but cmon you guys have done beat it into the ground. Stay on topic fellas.

quadscrib
04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
ANSWER: $3000-$4000 in price difference. Thats ALOT of parts and/or other services, entry fee's etc...
The KTM is KICK ***** but thats a BIG $$$ difference!

Quadevil
04-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by quadscrib
ANSWER: $3000-$4000 in price difference. Thats ALOT of parts and/or other services, entry fee's etc...
The KTM is KICK ***** but thats a BIG $$$ difference!

That's not a big diff. considering the better equipment and power in the ktm.
People are buying the yfzR for around 8G and the 450SX is selling around 10G so 2G or little more of diff.

MX MaNiAc 06
04-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Anyone ride both and have any comparison? I wish i could get my hands on either one. When i was at the Yamaha dealer the special edition model had the tits worn off the tires and some dirt on it. I tried talking the one salesman to let me ride the bike because i caught him testing it but that didnt work out for me. haha

griffin32
04-29-2009, 10:33 PM
i have a yfzr and my friend has a ktm he is rebuilding his for the fourth time right now so overall mine has beem way better

tach13
04-30-2009, 08:02 AM
just buy one of each. duh.

quadscrib
04-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Quadevil
People are buying the yfzR for around 8G and the 450SX is selling around 10G so 2G or little more of diff.

Please let me know where the KTM's are going for only $10,000.
I can get a YFZ5 at Nelsons in Greenville MI in the $7000.00 range ......
Either way get what ya like. I do know that I have 3 yamaha shops around here and one KTM shop (which hates quads).
Buy what YOU like I guess. if $$$ was no object I would probly be on a KTM... But $$ is a big problem for me.
And I also know some KTM riders whove been through LOTSA pistons...More on the XC than the SX though.

400grl
04-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Weight?? This entire thread was wasted on weight???

I have a YFZR - had a fully built YFZ previously. I am just as fast on my STOCK YFZR as I was on my full MX quad.....the whole quad is just built awesome!! The biggest thing that impresses me about the YFZR is the stock shocks.....I still look at them all the time and wonder how they could make them work so well??!

My first race in the Women's A class, on my YFZR, bone stock - I podiumed. And the course was rough and the girls are fast as hell....only things I added were nerfs and a stabilizer.

Why the YFZR over the KTM? Biggest, most obvious advantage is the $$$. I have ridden a couple of the KTM's last year, and they actually felt very YFZ-ish....so I liked them. But in my opinion, the fit / finish isn't as good, and I didn't like the plastics. I also talked to a few KTM owners who weren't happy with their stock shocks.....they figured they should be good enough to keep, but said the shocks were really stiff, even after being adjusted all the way out.

Anyway......I haven't met one person who has ridden my YFZR who hasn't gotten off with a huge smile on their face and who isn't totally impressed with that machine.

MX MaNiAc 06
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by hondarider11
I would personally go with the yfz450r but what's wrong with your honda?

I've broken plenty of parts.. it's time for a new bike. I love the way it is right now but I feel I've put enough money into it.

I wanna get the ktm hoping i could ride it without modification. The shocks on the yfzr seemed stiff but it seems like the ktms are too.

Quadevil
04-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Oh and hey people! don't forget that KTM is selling both XC and SX with a $1500 package kit included for free. So stop talking about the KTM's price.

quadscrib
04-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh and hey people! don't forget that KTM is selling both XC and SX with a $1500 package kit included for free. So stop talking about the KTM's price.
Package kit?

Quadevil
04-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Package kit?

http://i40.tinypic.com/29ksu8x.jpg

400grl
04-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
I've broken plenty of parts.. it's time for a new bike. I love the way it is right now but I feel I've put enough money into it.

I wanna get the ktm hoping i could ride it without modification. The shocks on the yfzr seemed stiff but it seems like the ktms are too.

They aren't stiff - they are actually quite plush....I'm 130lbs...I have my shocks set all the way soft, all the way around...they are perfect this way.

quadscrib
05-01-2009, 11:58 AM
OOOH comes with fenders!!!! :rolleyes:
Cant knock what a good quad it is (not a "bike"). GO w/ what u like and what u can afford.... YAMAHA is it fer me...:D

Franklin999
05-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Just bought the YFZ450R and it is awesome my friend has a can am with the fox floats on it and the shocks on mine are very close i am not lying i ride his quad sometimes and i am just as fast on mine as i am on his. mine is bone stock to so yamaha did the work this time but yes the KTM is very nice but UGLY plastics...

09yfz450rchick
05-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
Weight?? This entire thread was wasted on weight???

I have a YFZR - had a fully built YFZ previously. I am just as fast on my STOCK YFZR as I was on my full MX quad.....the whole quad is just built awesome!! The biggest thing that impresses me about the YFZR is the stock shocks.....I still look at them all the time and wonder how they could make them work so well??!

My first race in the Women's A class, on my YFZR, bone stock - I podiumed. And the course was rough and the girls are fast as hell....only things I added were nerfs and a stabilizer.

Why the YFZR over the KTM? Biggest, most obvious advantage is the $$$. I have ridden a couple of the KTM's last year, and they actually felt very YFZ-ish....so I liked them. But in my opinion, the fit / finish isn't as good, and I didn't like the plastics. I also talked to a few KTM owners who weren't happy with their stock shocks.....they figured they should be good enough to keep, but said the shocks were really stiff, even after being adjusted all the way out.

Anyway......I haven't met one person who has ridden my YFZR who hasn't gotten off with a huge smile on their face and who isn't totally impressed with that machine.

I have a YFZ450R and I can't stand the stock shocks. This is my third YFZ, and no way no how would I leave those shocks on. They may work on a flat hard packed track but I wouldn't want to race with them on a sand/dirt track that gets whooped out by dirt bikes. The rear shock did budge with my weight. I switched the shocks out for PEPs.

Which race was that and how many were in the class?

Franklin999
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
nobody rides the same and for some money gets in the way of gettin what you want. just saying for a fully stock quad the YFZ450R is in really good shape who would not want peps over stock shocks ha that is a given but not everyone has that kind of money to do so. so we find ways to win with what we got... 09yfz450rchick

09yfz450rchick
05-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Franklin999
nobody rides the same and for some money gets in the way of gettin what you want. just saying for a fully stock quad the YFZ450R is in really good shape who would not want peps over stock shocks ha that is a given but not everyone has that kind of money to do so. so we find ways to win with what we got... 09yfz450rchick

i agree...not everyone has that cash. I'm just saying that i wouldn't go as far to say that the stock shocks are great. i don't think they are. thats just my opinion. but if you don't have the money to get aftermarket then you make do.

Franklin999
05-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Thank you for the most part i think everyone who has a YFZ450R is pretty well pleased with it i would think that every quad out there is gonna have some kind of fault. But yamaha has made a big improvement. and i think it is ahead of honda, Kawasaki, and polaris after that Can Am, suzuki, and the YFZ450R are very close. The KTM is just as race ready as you can get that is all there is to say about that..

09yfz450rchick
05-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Its just my opinion thats all. i also have a 2009 CanAm DS 450 X MX and this quad is lighter and the stock shocks on it are absolutely amazing. And weight definately does make a difference- its way lighter. Unfortunately, the motor is not too great. But talking about the stock YFZ-R shocks, and having compared them to the stock DS X MX shocks there is absolutely no comparison. And I think that anyone who has the option (i.e the money) to buy aftermarket shocks likely would not leave the stock shocks on the YFZ. I'm not slamming yamaha or the YFZ, because after having had a honda, a suzuki and Can Am and 3 x YFZs I absolutely LOVE my YFZ (which is why I've had three). I'm just not going to claim the shocks are all that, cause I don't think they are. I think they are stiff as hell.

mxdubbs
05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
OOOH comes with fenders!!!! :rolleyes:
Cant knock what a good quad it is (not a "bike"). GO w/ what u like and what u can afford.... YAMAHA is it fer me...:D

Ummm. If you actually read what it all,you would know it means extra fenders.:rolleyes:

Quadevil
05-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by mxdubbs
Ummm. If you actually read what it all,you would know it means extra fenders.:rolleyes:

He was just kiddin, let him be :D