PDA

View Full Version : big-bore + stroker???

cr480r
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I am working on a '05 for a friend of mine.. Its due for a crank rebuild and we are considering going with a stroker. Will a stroker crank work with the esr 480 big-bore?

d3ktrix
04-26-2009, 11:46 PM
A short rod stroker like the Hotrods +3 will work yes.
Make sure to get it balanced and welded.

If you do a long rod stroker you will need a piston with a relocated wrist pin or another method to make up for the longer rod pushing the piston higher into the cylinder.

cr480r
04-27-2009, 12:41 AM
I have read that the stroker cranks cause problems when used with big-bores... That the cylinder skirt is too thin.. Is this true?

sadame
04-30-2009, 08:30 AM
If you have an aftermarket cylinder there should be no problem because the cylinder wall is strong enough to handle the stroker. but i have read that you are playing with fire if your stock cylinder is bored and you match it with a short rod stroker. I read alot of threads before I went with my big bore / stroker.

Is the ESR big bore a kit that required your buddy to send his cylinder to ESR to be bored? or is the ESR big bore an aftermarket cylinder?

I have never had the stock, bored out cylinder matched with a stroker so I can not say for sure that it will not hold up. but after months of research I dropped a few extra coin on an aftermarket cylinder (DASA) to have piece of mind.

cr480r
05-06-2009, 02:34 AM
its a bored and replated oem cylinder