PDA

View Full Version : Help getting quad running

josephnyc
04-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi,

I have a (less than 1 year old) Coolster ATV-3125B quad that wasn't used throughout the winter.

I went to start it (using a portable starter-booster) and it only starts with the choke fully on. I can keep it running by tickling the throttle and then for only a minute or so.

If I let go of the throttle, it will stall in a few seconds.

If I turn the choke off, it won't even start.

I checked that it's getting spark (visible spark with the spark plug cable attached to a plug held outside the engine) and fuel (removed plug and it's a little wet).

I opened the carb drain screw on the bottom of the carb and gas runs out.

I tried it without the gas tank cap off to make sure it wasn't a cap venting issue.

So, if my basic understanding is correct, it's either getting too much air or too little gas (most likely too little gas, I assume).

So, what is my next step?

I believe the bike uses a PZ22k carb.

Thanks very much,

Joseph

nickm328
04-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Sounds to me like you need to clean the carb. as in taking it totally apart and cleaning everypart, not idling, and running only with the choke is a sign that the pilot jet is clogged. Get a new plug also.

storms400ex
04-26-2009, 05:32 PM
^^^ X-2

josephnyc
04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh I was hoping there was another solution!

I know this is lame, but I can't even figure out how to get the throttle slide out of the top of the carb.

The throttle cable comes out of the top of the carb and makes a 90 degree turn (built that way) leaving absolutely no room whatsoever between it and the gas tank.

I can't imagine what's necessary to take off in order to get the carb off.

The other things I notice (should have put this in the original thread):

1) Spark plug cable head (hard plastic that gets pushed onto plug) looks like it was burned (running too hot), and

2) a little smoke comes out from where the exhaust pipe meets the engine. I tightened the 2 bolts that attach the pipe to the engine, but haven't gotten it running long enough to check.

Anything else I can try (that's easy (;-)?

Thanks very much,

Joseph

nickm328
04-26-2009, 07:39 PM
I don't know much about the chinese bikes, I know with the jap. bikes the carb will need to come off to clean it properly. If you are uncomfortable taking the cable off unhook the cable from the thumb throttle and remove the carb. with it still on. Take off whatever you need to to get to it. Just remember installation is the reverse of removal and have fun. The only way to learn is to dive into it:D

nakomis0
04-26-2009, 10:29 PM
U using fresh gas?

josephnyc
04-27-2009, 03:34 AM
I didn't think of unhooking the cable from the thumb end.

Doing so, it might then be possible to remove carb's 2 screws that hold it to engine, remove air filter, disconnect fuel line and slide the entire carb out.

I'm not using fresh gas. I did put stabilizer in it last fall.

Did the same fuel thing for the other china-quad (exact same model) as well as my Prairie 400, which both run nicely now.

Looks like I need to set aside a bunch of hours to get this done (that's probably the hardest part).

Thanks very much everyone!