PDA

View Full Version : predator 90 problems

d10ward
04-26-2009, 04:23 PM
The predator 90 isn't running right... it is hard to start even after it has been running, it also backfires, and it is almost like it is starving for fuel. I have no clue about jetting, I know that it needs to be done on larger cc models, but could this be the problem? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

tyler70t
04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Symptoms? We had a 2006 Predator with some issues but what is it doing?

dericsdad
04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Is it all stock? Did it run well before, or did you just buy it?

Always start with cleaning carb out, take the float bowl off and blow out all the jets.

Check the compression-should be at least 100 psi on a stock polaris 90.

If compression okey then install a new spark plug.

Just the basics to get you started.

d10ward
04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
As far as I know it's all stock. They just bought it not too long ago, but thanks for the advice, we will give it a try.

Logan #34's Dad
04-27-2009, 01:02 AM
I know this may sound stupid BUT, check the spark arrestor in the rear of the muffler. I knew a guy that sold a perfectly good quad for very little money because it would not run. The new owner accidently took the arrestor out and it was back to normal. Sometimes if the mixture was too rich for too long it my have clogged the screen.

d10ward
04-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Thanks. I'll be sure to check that too.

Ryko racing
04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
check the vent tube on the fuel tank,ours cracked and would not let the air flow thus it would sputter and bog on acceleration.

Good luck

tyler70t
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
We took our old Predator to the shop once cause it was backfiring and they said the stator was dirty, just a thought

d10ward
04-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Cleaned the carb, plug was good, didn't check the compression yet, but we did find a small hole in the fuel line so we are going to replace that and the filter tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens from there. Thanks for all the input!

By the way Logan's Dad, I was going to check the spark arrestor, but the muffler was all one piece and I wasn't sure if I had to take the whole muffler off or what?

dericsdad
04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Predator 90's don't have a spark arrestor. And unless you cut it apart, the muffler doesn't come apart. You could drill a hole through the inner plate of the muffler, stright in through the tail pipe, but It just makes them louder. Not sure if it actually helps performance.