PDA

View Full Version : Tom Down!!

4trax250x81
04-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Well... our season goes from Wednesday-Sunday this week and I have been out calling a few times so far and up until Friday night I hadnt seen a bird . My buddy came up and spent the night at my house on Friday night and after watching the weather, we decided to sleep in a few hours and see if the downpours would atleast let up. Around 10:00 the rain finally let up some (no longer orange and red on the radar) so we decided to take a drive and see what was moving. On the way out to our first spot we spotted two toms on the south side of a small woods. We decided to setup on the north side of the woods in hope to call them through. I was setup facing south on the west side of the woods and my buddy was calling about 15 yards behind me. After 10 minutes of calling I hear a gobble came from the northwest. I slowly turn my head and see a tom on top of a hill coming towards the decoy about 250 yards out. As soon as he got in the valley and out of sight I turned to face the way he was coming from. Within a couple minutes he was within 30 yards, but still too far to my right to get a shot without moving. He came alittle towards the decoy and I leaned just a fuzz and down he went!! I was pumped!! As soon as we got up to him it started to downpour again. We got back to the truck and realized this whole deal took less than 45 minutes. He has a 9" beard, 3/4" spurs and weighed 18 lbs. I got a jake last year and the way the season started I was pretty down, but this definetely got my spirits back up. I missed my birthday bird by one day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/4trax250x81/turkey006.jpg

wvspeedfreak
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Way to go!!!Our season opens tomorrow.

300ex mxracer
04-26-2009, 02:23 PM
i just about hit one of those damn things at road america yesterday

4trax250x81
04-27-2009, 05:15 AM
Post some pics if you get one!!