PDA

View Full Version : removing the sprocket on my kfx400

pepsidude185
04-25-2009, 07:39 PM
so the drive chain adjusting bolt snapped off (the single one in in the back) the other day.

I'm having trouble getting those two axle bolts off. The manual says i need a special tool, but they only look like big nuts.

My question is do i need that special tool? I tried doing it with a pipe wrench, but couldn't get it off.

Kind of a noob at this, what should i do? I really don't want to take it to the dealer if I dont have to.

On a side note, do I even need to take the sprocket off? how did ya'll do this?

cataway
04-26-2009, 05:23 AM
ya to get that bearing /axle carrier off your going to have to get the left side wheel hub off and the sprocket hub off.

i have heard of guys having a very hard time at getting them jam
nuts off ,left outside one first pull up on the wrench, get a cheater bar to give your self an easer time at it.

cataway
04-26-2009, 06:47 AM
you should as well put in new bearing when you get it apart , if not then at least put in a grease zerk.
I'm rather sure your going to find theres not near enough grease in there and that they have started to rust .
note, there are no seals on the inside side of the bearing and most or all the grease will have been forced out of the bearing, a zerk will help alot.
if you put in new bearings ,then dont worrie about the zerk
as new bearing have seals on both sides

knoxville9
04-26-2009, 07:31 AM
You dont need a special tool really just a really big crescent wrench then have someone stomp on the rear brake and that will ALMOST always hold the axle enough so that you can break the one nut then just do the other. and other questions just pm me im doing it right now i broke a bolt too

pepsidude185
04-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Sweet, thanks a lot for the help. I can't work on it until this friday, but I'll let you know how it goes.

quad97
04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
heat the nut with a small propane torch until it is pretty hot, then try to break it loose. A shot of penetrating oil before and after heating will help too. It is flamable so be careful.