PDA

View Full Version : How to Mount a Rear WInch on a 2004.5 Sportsman

waterhead
04-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm a cheapo by nature...I hate spending money on something I think I can make cheaper...so I came up with a way to mount a 3000lb Gorilla winch on the rear of my 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman. I was walking around at Northern Tools...seen this little beauty and just knew it would work. I purchased a spare wheel/tire carrier ($32 I think) I inverted it...and used my factory ball mount hole as a pattern to drill a hole and put a locking washer and nut on it. Then for added support...I drilled two 1/2 inch holes on either side and ran grade 8 bolts through those. I bolted the winch directly to the mount...and bent up a slick diamond plate "guard" to help keep the worst part of the mud out. : ) I used the under seat storage box to mount the wiring and siliconed the holes to make it water tight. I purchased a universal external plug off ebay for $10 and a 25 ft hand held remote to finish things off. Now I can control it from the dash/pod mount or with the hand held remote. All total Ive got about $50 in the mount and the accessories not counting the Winch ($125 on Ebay! ) What do you guys think??

waterhead
04-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Here is a picture of the mount I was talking about...

waterhead
04-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Here's another view.....