PDA

View Full Version : ltz ticking/knocking

johnafun
04-25-2009, 12:06 PM
we all know that diegnosing a problem at a shop is almost as costly as the repaire itself in some cases. so i hope i can get some insight.

during my first XC race my 06 ltz400 developed a ticking/knocking noise similer to an exhaust leak but a lil deeper sounding. no exhaust leak was found and noise seems to be coming from the engine.it gets even worse in 5th gear full throttle and the quad starts to have trouble pulling the top end. but hasnt affected performance much anywhere else. i havnt rode it since, only to start it and try and pin point the area of noise. i have heard of the ltz's having cam issues after rejetting and CDI upgrades.

any thoughts ????

John451
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Since you race i'd imagine you have a mechanic. But sounds like your valves are loose. You just needa tighten the nut on top down to keep it in place.

johnafun
04-25-2009, 11:04 PM
no mechanic !LOL im no pro by far. just been trying out racing quads in a new race series in my area called stx-atv. should check it out if your in the south or central texas area.

thanks for the advice ile check it out

kawiracerj
04-28-2009, 10:32 PM
theres no nut to tighten down on ltz valves. u have to change shims!

johnafun
04-28-2009, 11:51 PM
are the shims known for wearing quiker under high stress? such as the high reving 60 min race i put it through?
im used to sport bikes and 2 strokes so i have a habit of windeing out a bike plus when your running against 450's i gotta give it everything its got to stay with them.lol

chevys&honda$
04-29-2009, 01:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnafun
[B]we all know that diegnosing a problem at a shop is almost as costly as the repaire itself in some cases. so i hope i can get some insight.

during my first XC race my 06 ltz400 developed a ticking/knocking noise similer to an exhaust leak but a lil deeper sounding. no exhaust leak was found and noise seems to be coming from the engine.it gets even worse in 5th gear full throttle and the quad starts to have trouble pulling the top end. but hasnt affected performance much anywhere else. i havnt rode it since, only to start it and try and pin point the area of noise. i have heard of the ltz's having cam issues after rejetting and CDI upgrades.
----------------------------------------------------
============================
ok, when did you up grade the cdi, because this could cause it to ping/sparkknock, this may be the noise your hearing, and you would probly hear it become louder in a higher gear (4th,5th) when your bike is under the most load.

I had the same problem on my trx450r, when i would hit 4th or 5th it would start to ping/tick.

try running a higher octane fuel thats what i had to do. 100 plus octane would fix it IF THATS THE PROBLEM

johnafun
04-29-2009, 02:28 AM
the cdi pipe and jetting have been on there for over a year.
the problem started about 30 min into the race as i went into 5th on a long streight away. at first i thought that the chain was getting slack and was chattering.i eased off the throttle and it went away and everytime i tried to pin it in 5th on that streight away it came back. it didnt bother me till when the race was over and i took off my helmet and i could hear it even at idle.

firebug
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
I'd say timing chain or needs re-shimmed. you might as well change the chain to a stronger one because if thats not it this time it will be next time. these machines are known for stretching timing chains. while your in there re shim and you should be good to go.

Try this kit, it bumps the compression up .9 too

http://www.advantagecyclelc.com/showproduct.php?id=65&prodnext=15&searchvalue=&nbrProds=15

I had the chain slap too, then went with this kit and never had a problem again.

johnafun
04-29-2009, 01:20 PM
now that sounds tempting rite there. i really like that kit. well i think i just might let the quad sit for a while till i can pull together anough money for hot cams, 440 kit and that kit there. so that way i can do everything at once. instaed of tearing into the motor once a month. ile just ride my wifes pink *** ltr 450 for now LMAO.
i really love the way the ltz's handle. it just need's a lil mor HP . and quit being the most high maintanance bike ive ever owned shoot its almost as bad as my wife LMAO

John451
04-29-2009, 01:33 PM
haha yeah id try that kit first then if it still makes the noise replace the valve seats / shims.