PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore Kit

Piper
01-01-2003, 01:13 PM
I have a 2000 model 400EX that I bought last year. It has always been hard to start. Sometimes the battery will die out trying to start it even on full choke. Toward the end of the riding season it started smoking quite a bit when I crank it the first time of any day. After it warmed up it didn't seem to smoke anymore. Well, it has gotten worse. It smokes...... not bad but it still smokes while I'm riding it. Do you think I need to change the rings on it? What about a Big Bore Kit? If so what kind? I don't want to loose the dependability that Honda is known for.

Thanks,
Piper.....

02 Red Rider
01-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Have you checked your plug? How is your jetting? What color is the smoke?

You maybe running too rich, which would smoke dark and crap out your spark plug making it hard to start. Iwould check this stuff out first unless you are looking to move to a bigger bore.

Jason

Piper
01-01-2003, 02:35 PM
The plug is fine and the smoke is white. I've already checked all of that out. The main jet is not stock. I went up a size on it to get more fuel to it already. I have White Bros. pipes on it.

[B]Piper[B]:

02 Red Rider
01-01-2003, 03:02 PM
What size jet are you running? What mods are on the bike already aside from the pipe?