PDA

View Full Version : 30' wash-out, saved by smarts

11-17-2001, 07:28 PM
I was riding today at the San Jacinto River bottom. I was on a "not so traveled trail" and was coming up on a pretty high jump. I thought about gas'n my ***** up it and jumping it but "SOMETHING" told me to walk it first. Well am I ever glad I walked it first because just after the crest of the jump was about a 30' deep and 30' wide or so wash-out back to the river. I would have completely busted my *****... hard. No waunder this trail was used much. Thank God I walked it.

Anyone else have a close call like this???

stocktires
11-17-2001, 08:04 PM
kinda, Me and 2 friends were riding. Me on my 300ex, one friend on a blaster, and another on a kx100. We were riding at my grandmaws house one day, i used to live right by her and ride on the 300 acres she owned and her friend's 700 acres everyday! Were were coming up on one of the 4 sandbars on side of the river (a trail i've ridden many, many times) and I was WOT in 4th! I took a 65 degree down hill turn about 20 feet long, i wasnt looking in front of me. Normaly the sandbar would be there, but i wasnt lookin at it and i was lookin at the gas tank lid cuz it had some weird crap on it. I looked up and saw NO sand, just water in front of me!! SLAMED ON BRAKES jerked the bars to the right, did a 180 and my front wheels were planted in the sand but my rear tires were hanging over a 15 foot drop off into water! I was kinda screwed! If i got off the quad i was gone, if i didnt i could never get off!!! Luckily one of my friends (on the blaster) is 270lbs and can bench press like 250lbs! He picked the front end up and if he let go i would be gone, when he picked it up with me on it I was just kinda hanging there like you see on movies when somebody is hanging from a 1000000 storie building and someone is holding them by one arm! And he pulled me up! Kinda amazing, I learned a big lesson that day!

Striker49
11-17-2001, 08:08 PM
:huhThat would give me a heart attack.:huh

Chef
11-17-2001, 08:36 PM
i had a close call like that once. in the oregon dunes at coos bay i think it was. came up to this dune that looked perfect for jumping, just like you did i thought about just goin balls to the wall and launchin, but i didnt.

I WOULD have gotten about 50 feet off the ground and landed in the bottom of a razorback and most likely would not be here right now.

Nausty
11-18-2001, 12:56 PM
well i don't know if this is a close call or not but for me it is. One day I was riding around my yard and a empty lot across the road from my house and the there is a ditch on the side that I jumped and then I landed across the street over my ditch in the yard and I had kinda fell off the bike from the back and to the side and when I tryed to pull my self up I was just pulling back on the twist throttle and I ran into our house 4th gear pinned. I had to be going about between 40 or 50 mph and went through our garage window and landed on the pool table. Didn't cry once had to get a skin graph, hundred or so stitches and my mom got it on video tape sept she dropped the camera right before I went into the house oh and don't think i would of lived if I that window would not have been there I mean I even knocked the ancor bolts out of the cinderblocks on the wall.

SGA
11-18-2001, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by HOTT440EX
i had a close call like that once. in the oregon dunes at coos bay i think it was. came up to this dune that looked perfect for jumping, just like you did i thought about just goin balls to the wall and launchin, but i didnt.

I WOULD have gotten about 50 feet off the ground and landed in the bottom of a razorback and most likely would not be here right now.

Whats a razorback in relation to dunes? just wondering. we don't have any dunes around here. I know your not talking about landing on the back of some hog down below:D

Chef
11-18-2001, 09:32 PM
the dune goes up pretty much like normal, may even flatten out a bit on top, then is pretty much like a razor edge all of a sudden and drops off... occasionally when you get to the bottom it starts going up steep the other way, like a big V, extremely painful, sometimes fatal. i will get a pic sometime

4punksdad
12-08-2001, 07:36 PM
I had a close call.
I used to travel alot for work, and I often took my atv and road bike during extended stays.

so I am in beckly, wv..........stranger in a strange land. My co-workers traveled home for the weekend, and I stayed behind to ride. Well, I had been out on the trail for about an hour when I decided to be a nice guy & stop & move a few sticks off the trail. Good thing I did............50' beyond the sticks was a HUGE cliff. I couldn't even see the bottom. All I could see was the tree tops below. certain death. woke me up bigtime. nobody would have even missed me for two or more days. I immediately went back to the hotel...........the slowest ride of my life.

Nausty
12-12-2001, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 3punksdad
I had a close call.
I used to travel alot for work, and I often took my atv and road bike during extended stays.

so I am in beckly, wv..........stranger in a strange land. My co-workers traveled home for the weekend, and I stayed behind to ride. Well, I had been out on the trail for about an hour when I decided to be a nice guy & stop & move a few sticks off the trail. Good thing I did............50' beyond the sticks was a HUGE cliff. I couldn't even see the bottom. All I could see was the tree tops below. certain death. woke me up bigtime. nobody would have even missed me for two or more days. I immediately went back to the hotel...........the slowest ride of my life.

SHEESH! That is definately a close one. Definatitely is a eye opener.

"BLAHH"300!!
12-19-2001, 12:31 AM
i've never had a quad with brakes- quad ro trik with brakes
i don't see how you guys are locky enugh to have brakes on your's now... mind boggling-
anyway- 84 trx 200 big wooly quad i was riddin along a tril goin down a hill and using my gears and zig zagging to slow it down the i lost it and just paniced it got to going faster and faster untill turning the bike would flip it and downshifting didn't even cross my mindthe trail was narrowing untill it was a 3 foot enbancment on one side and a 10 foot cliff on the other- and i was comming up on a 90 degree turn that i had to make or it was off the 10 footer for sure can't gop right can't go back can't go slow- so i spottted out a nice clear path and let her ride ( without me of course ) i bailed big time- the quad kept good form i give it a 5 and a half- 3 and a quarter stars- hit the ground and a tree about as big around as me at the same time-
dead stop- front rack was history- but hey i was walking- dad had a feild day with that one-

here's another one i like that happend about 3 months ago-
i was riding at the mississippi river with a freind on a 400ex me on me 300ex and had a freind come down with his raptor- but he brought 2 other freinds with him- so i rode one with me the raptor had one with him- well we all know those famouse last words- go faster go faster- so i opend her up across what i thought was smooth fresh sand - felt like i was goin about 99.999 miles an hour- then we see it a dropp off a place where the river water was coming in and had a little- 3 foot deep ditch about 3 foot wide and deep- when we saw it it was already too late so i he said turn- that wassn't an option hit the brakes- once again- i only have front brakes on my 300 so tht too wassn't an option- i told him to sit way back a lean way back- i poped the clutch picked up the wheels and layed those back ones right in the hole- when we hit i leaned forwards and stayed on- and he shot off over me like a rocket- and i swear he water skipped like a flat rock haha- hti the starter ni ni voom drove it out a let it sit for about 15 minutes untill i stopped shakin- that woulda been nasty if those front wheels hadn't come up- and they wouldn't have if he hadn't been sitting on the back for weight- bad part was- the guy on the raptor was the guy i bought my 300ex from and i felt bad man- like "what are you doine to my fourwheeler man- can't you drive- but about an hour later- he did the same thing in a differant hole that was about a foot deep- so i looked at him like he was crazy- " brand new raptor and you ganna tear it up"