PDA

View Full Version : 400ex tick

unitednations
04-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I know the 400 ex ticks. But how loud should it be? I have a hotcam in it, would that make it louder? The top end is completely rebuild. It sounds like a helicopter from the motor. And also has anyone seen how hot there engine gets? used a heat gun mine gets around 250 and 600 on headers.

hypersnyper6947
04-24-2009, 04:31 PM
use search we just went over this topic for the hundredth time like 2 days ago.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=2114740&sortby=&sortorder=

greenblood01
04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a cam chain to me.

unitednations
04-24-2009, 04:43 PM
yes i realize that. but would a hotcam make it really loud? I had it apart and the chain felt tight.

hypersnyper6947
04-24-2009, 04:50 PM
hotcams are loud, check your valves make sure there in spec, you know your chain is good so just ride, if it starts to perform like shyt then start to worry.

Did your rockers look good when you did your rebuild? Make sure your jetting is correct and your oil pump is working

unitednations
04-24-2009, 05:04 PM
first of all thank you for taking the time to reply. I know this a over talked about subject but i went trough all the old posts and didn't find much about the hotcam. Yeah everything looked good during the rebuild. The bike runs perfect except for the noise, i can hear the ticking over my HMF pipe.

rob_990
04-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by unitednations
yes i realize that. but would a hotcam make it really loud? I had it apart and the chain felt tight.

i ordered a new chain and when i took my old one out i didnt think it was that bad at all but the new chain fixed it.

sandalanalyst
04-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
hotcams are loud, check your valves make sure there in spec, you know your chain is good so just ride, if it starts to perform like shyt then start to worry.

Did your rockers look good when you did your rebuild? Make sure your jetting is correct and your oil pump is working

check if the oil pump is working.. what is the best way to do this? what? take a valve cover off and see if theres oil up there? or...? bought my bike used, ive put about 10 hrs on it so far, its not pretty, but tons of power, kid said it had the 440 kit etc, in it n ive driven newr 400exs that are like driving a turd in the wind compared to mine, but.. wondering about how to check if ur pump is working... sure mine is.. but.. good to know.

DirtMonkey
04-25-2009, 04:32 PM
If you search this topic you can find some great answers. There are a lot of good threads.

scuzz
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Mine ticked like CRAZY.

krt400ex
04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by unitednations
first of all thank you for taking the time to reply. I know this a over talked about subject but i went trough all the old posts and didn't find much about the hotcam. Yeah everything looked good during the rebuild. The bike runs perfect except for the noise, i can hear the ticking over my HMF pipe.

the hotcams are loud. are your valves in spec? i got a stock cam and when my valves go out of adjustment you can hear it over my yosh

unitednations
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
yeah they are. I bought a new timing chain for it the 450 one, gonna put that in and see if it works. If it doesn't has to be the cam then. Everything else is new.