PDA

View Full Version : 440ex problems

honda440justin
04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
I recently bought a 440ex from my friend and when i got it, it was a rolling chassis with the motor scattered in boxes. we got it all back together in about a month and we fired it up and it wont stay idiling, we have to keep on the throttle and when we do that it back fires and carrys on. so we checked if the timing and everything was right, put it back together and took it for a test drive, now that thing has got some butt behind it but anyway when i got back to the shop after riding i noticed it was leaking oil from the oil lines that hook up to the motor, fixed that, messed with the idle and then took it for another spin and noticed it wasnt as peppy as it was before. It had blew a head gasket and from other forums people say that the big bore 400's blow them often. i replaced that and now it will stay idiling for a bit but now it gets super hot so bad that the pipe glows red...please help this thing has so may problems.

droppedmazda
04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
sounds like its leaned out. mess with the jetting and get a good set of hd studs to keep it from blowing head gaskets. make sure your valve lash is right it sounds like they might have been to tight.

honda440justin
04-25-2009, 09:08 AM
ok thanks ill check that out today and let you know how it goes

coryatver
04-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Get some heavy duty head studs or it will just keep blowing head gaskets