PDA

View Full Version : Motor advise or suggestions

Hutchracer
04-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I am trying to finish my sons Blaster build and was hoping to pick some of your minds. We are running a set of plus 3" a-arms with a set of older Elka shocks a revalved 400ex shock with eibach dual rate springs on a stock swing arm for now. I picked up a set of Holeshot tires and also have a set of American Racers if he wants to try flat tracking. What I am wondering is how extreme to go on the motor. He is more of a ride for fun type of kid and I don't pressure him to have to race unless he wants to but I want to do the motor so if he does race he has the power to compete. The quad has a FMF exhaust on it but the motor is going to the shop for work any suggestions on size of carb or how big to go on cc size? I also have a Project Blaster Air box for it.

nakomis0
04-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Does it need a larger carb, I had a problem of over carbing my Blaster then I did an exhaust and carb. Back in the day.

I can tell you what I'm doing with my kids new bike. Its stock with a toomey. I'm getting the cylinder decked, and the head reshaped, possibly the head milled, and porting.

I got a guy that does Blasters in Michigan, owns a dyno, does all the machining, etc. Hes gonna do all this for under $250. Which ain't bad, the inside of your motor is basically done forever, unless something catastrophic happens.

He says it will be 30hp on pump gas, I find that hard to believe without a carb, but the guy does own a dyno.

If you need any info send me a pm.
How olds your kid btw?

mxblastermx
04-26-2009, 08:50 PM
phantom or ct 240kit
34mm carb and intake boot
v force reed cage and reeds
3mm stroker
rechambered head
filter
phantom or ct pipe or lrd
hinson clutch
advanced timing
port and polish
thats pretty much what i run and its insane great race bike
pm me for more info i might of left out some stuff

Hutchracer
04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Well thanks for the info here is where I am at. I have a reputable local builder who is a friend of the family that is a banshee builder. He is willing to do whatever I want to it but I'm on a somewhat limited budget so I am thinking about a 34mm carb and punching it out to a 240 with some port work. What do you think? We have a Boyseen rad valve and FMF full exhaust. As for my sons size he's about 5' 6" tall 145 pounds he rides a stock Blaster now and loves it. We have grond up restored the one we are building and he is stoked to finish it and would still like any extra info. Thanks everyone

headache
04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
the 240 motor would definetly scream. I'm building one myself right now. I sleeved the stock cylinder and doing all the work myself so i hope it turns out good. I can tell you that with the mods i have now i run side by side with a z400 with a slip on pipe. If you build a big bore i'd go with a 34-35 carb, the fatty pipe is ok for midrange, but you could go with a F7, ct,trinity, powerpros pipe for more topend pull, they are one of the best pipes for the blaster and they are all built by power pros just different names.

Hutchracer
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info on the pipes. The FMF we have came on the Blaster when we bought it and I was thinking of looking for a pipe that would be a bit more for top end pull. That is when the boy gets used to riding a bit more aggressive but for now I think the FMF pipe would suit him just fine I am still trying to get him to understand that he does not need to short shift and to keep it on the pipe a bit more. But that will come with more experence riding a 2 stroke.

nakomis0
04-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Hutchracer
..... I am still trying to get him to understand that he does not need to short shift and to keep it on the pipe a bit more. But that will come with more experence riding a 2 stroke.

My kid does the same thing so I know what ya mean.

caterpillar
04-29-2009, 08:30 PM
CT 240, 35mm airstriker or 38mm airstriker carb, LRD pipe or a Vito's fat bast**d pipe, adjustable ignition plate or a PVL. V-force reeds. Mill the head and run race gas. Must use barnett clutch springs. You will be over 40 HP and nothing will touch you.

mxblastermx
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
instead of milling the heads rechamber them its better, ask paul at project blaster
best pipes are
f7
lrd
those are the 2 best but ur fmf should be ok
38mm carbs alittle bit big
if ur gona do ur clutch go either barnett or hinson,most use hinson

caterpillar
04-30-2009, 04:20 PM
LRD does make a excellant pipe but the Vito's will let your engine rev higher and with the bigger carb it will make more power. You should use a airstryker carb 35 or 38 they have the little fins at the bottom of the carb that will give you better throttle response. I agree with the rechamber on the head but it is cheaper to mill, just get your squish right and you will get your compression up. Hinson is the best clutch, but the most expensive. It is pretty much endless on what you can do. Money makes power! I have 3 CT engines 2 are 240's and one is a 199cc national motor. I also have one Airsal national motor. I have spent alot of money and time on blasters they are the funnest and easiest to work on :D

caterpillar
04-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Here is mine

mxblastermx
04-30-2009, 05:39 PM
sell me that swinger haha no really

Hutchracer
05-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I just want to thank everyone on their info it all helps to make better choices on the way to go. Now as far as the amount of $$ I would like to spend we all know that $$ makes power my only problem is that I need to maintain 5 other bikes quads and my ATC 250R restoration project. I know thats no excuse but I guess the best way to describe it that we are budget racers doing it for the fun and love of just being out at the track to spend time with the kids. This is where I get into a jam because at 15 and being a typical teenager I want to make this project special but at the same time not kill the bank account. My budget is about $600-1000 left to finish this up so a motor that runs on race gas is out of the question due to the cost of the fuel. I really want to have a reliable motor that makes good power it doesn't have to yank his arms off. I'll snap some pics of the roller and try to get them up and that Blaster looks sweet Caterpillar is it set up for TT?
Thanks again for everyones input it helps alot..

caterpillar
05-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Yep, I built it as a TT racer but also got bigger and longer springs from Elka for MX. I have the +3 swingarm for mx too. I have really enjoyed building this for my son. He has now outgrown it and is in college. I have tried to sell it a few times but no one can come up with the money to buy it...so I will keep it in the barn and ride it once and a while and remember the good times we had at the races. Enjoy because they grow up quick!

kennedy_power
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Does it need a larger carb, I had a problem of over carbing my Blaster then I did an exhaust and carb. Back in the day.

I can tell you what I'm doing with my kids new bike. Its stock with a toomey. I'm getting the cylinder decked, and the head reshaped, possibly the head milled, and porting.

I got a guy that does Blasters in Michigan, owns a dyno, does all the machining, etc. Hes gonna do all this for under $250. Which ain't bad, the inside of your motor is basically done forever, unless something catastrophic happens.

He says it will be 30hp on pump gas, I find that hard to believe without a carb, but the guy does own a dyno.

If you need any info send me a pm.
How olds your kid btw?
That would be 30hp with a 35mm carb
Thanks

nakomis0
05-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by kennedy_power
That would be 30hp with a 35mm carb
Thanks

Ha, hey Angus welcome to the site.

Thats the Michigan motor guy. :)

vondeister
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
where in Michigan?

mxblastermx
09-05-2009, 06:26 AM
just so you know a dyno doesnt prove it gives it 30hp, a dyno does not simulate a real riding enviroment,theres no down force on the quad,wind resistance,traction issues nothing like that so i highly doubt it has 30 hp 22-24 at most

Hutchracer
09-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I have always belived that a big peak number on a dyno is only for talking big. The thing you really want is a good power spread under the curve which is killer power in a more broad range across the ridable range. Sometimes big peak power is not that usable or ridable just look at some of the guys that ride 4strokes or really modded 2strokes